• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Australian Open Thread

cheeseheads12

Reaction score
The Australian Open began today. Fed tries to defend. Murray and the Djoker aren't in the field due to hip surgery and elbow issues respectively. Serena is out as well. Hopefully, an American can make a run on the men's side of the draw with 2 of the big 4 being out. Querrey and Sock seem like potential candidates. On the women's side, Stephens is already out. She's an astounding 0-8 since winning the US Open.

Djokovic is playing. May miss him on the draw sheet because his seed is so low.

Djokovic is playing. May miss him on the draw sheet because his seed is so low.

oh wow. My mistake. I swear I remember reading or hearing he was out due to elbow problems? Did he overcome the ailment or just going to play through the pain? Or did he have surgery?

Oh. I'm seeing now I mistook "could miss" as a for sure no show. My apologies. Hopefully he can make a run and make things interesting.

Venus is now out too. Horrible start for the American women. 0-5 so far.

Venus is now out too. Horrible start for the American women. 0-5 so far.

Isner also in some trouble, but that isn't new. Dude is constantly highly ranked and under performs drastically. He'll make his usual 3rd or 4th round exit if he's lucky. I think he goes down right off tops though tonight.

Isner down 2 sets to 1 now. Yawn. No surprise.

I wonder what Isner works on in his practice sessions?

Faster, harder, stronger serves!

The dude neglects his weaknesses more than I've ever seen.

Is it just me, or does he look unwell? Looks thinner than usual. Also looks pale while sporting that blank stare on his face all match. Kind of spooky. Hope nothing is wrong with him physically. He is putting on a pathetic display of tennis.

Wow that was straight up pitiful from Isner. Let's hope he comes out with a minor stomach bug story or something to help explain that shit show.

True. Although, it is bad when you can't take but a set against a guy who just advanced to the second round for like the 3rd time ever in a major. I hate that i was right about Isner going down tonight. Oh well, we've still got some American talent that can make a run.

Yep

Terrible performance, but I’ve had some bad days at work. Especially on mondays.

Man how can you not love some David Ferrer! The old man was down 5-2 in the 4th set and was getting man handled at the hands of a young gun. Ferrer just keeps on fighting. He breaks twice and forces a 4th set tiebreak in which he went on to win the tiebreak in dramatic fashion! He somehow was able to return 2 overhand smashes and win the tiebreak 8-6. It's going the distance!

Is it just me, or does he look unwell? Looks thinner than usual. Also looks pale while sporting that blank stare on his face all match. Kind of spooky. Hope nothing is wrong with him physically. He is putting on a pathetic display of tennis.

Isner just got married last month so maybe he hasn't been practicing as much as usual.

He was a kid in my neighborhood in Greensboro years ago. He was average size then and a decent tennis player, but really blossomed once he got to his mid teens and college. He's done well as a pro, but could have done better. Obviously, if you're 6' 10", you're not going to have the quickness of virtually all of the other players.

Will we see an American man win a grand slam in the next 30 years?

Will we see an American man win a grand slam in the next 30 years?

I think so. I could see Jack Sock doing it.

Former UCLA player Mackenzie McDonald made it through qualifying and then won his first main draw match yesterday, which is his first win at a major. He plays Dimitrov next.

Back