• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

seventwofour

Reaction score
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:

Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns
Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures
Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
Enjoying a piece of art or music
Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.
Close, personal attention from another person
Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back

I had no idea this was a named sensation until today. Anybody else experience this?

I get it from music, particularly stuff that builds up like the national anthem (if it's not one of those gay acapella reworks) Frank Thomas FTW.

oh holy shit theres a whole youtube channel on the great chefs show!! best show ever made period. ok, i'm about to binge on some ASMR highs. check on me if i haven't posted in a few days!

Last edited:
Is this what happens when they drop the bass?

In all seriousness I get a lot of ASMR's from music. The opening riff of Cloud Nothings "Understand At All" gets me every time.

Music is the trigger for me too - have experienced them when listening to music and when I'm singing a particularly emotional piece of choral music.

Interesting, never heard of it. Passionate music just makes me tear up. So does a crowd cheering loudly. /derail

mine feels like a tingly feeling near each temple that sometimes migrates around my head (brain i guess?) almost like an internal e-massage. it's cooool and super relaxing. can't make it happen at will or on command though. sometimes it just happens but great chefs and stuff like they talk about seem to make it happen

Perhaps the only experience I've had with this was at the Rothko room at the Tate Modern. Overwhelming experience.

In all seriousness I get a lot of ASMR's from music. The opening riff of Cloud Nothings "Understand At All" gets me every time.

Tried it, didn't work, but this will do it every time at the second note:

Also, here's a national anthem rendition that does it for me:

Last edited:
Music gives me chills sometimes, but I'm not sure if this is exactly the same sensation being described. The Marvin Gaye National Anthem gets me every time. On the other end of the melodic spectrum, when the phase shifters all drop towards the end of Lisbon, a 45+ minute improvisational/experimental piece by David Thomas Broughton, it's like the rug is being pulled out from underneath you, and you get a dropping sensation that's really cool.

Also, here's a national anthem rendition that does it for me:

This guys voice is like the anti-brown note.

I never knew this response had a name. I always just called it "getting the chills"

At first I couldn't figure out what the hell this was, but then I thought about it a little more and realized that I get somthing similar when I get my hair cut and get the back of my neck shaved with the clippers.....

Back