• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AWD vs 4WD

WakeGal

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which one I need for the next vehicle. I currently have 4wd and use it several times a year when visiting the mountains during winter snows. I haven't found any good explanations online as to the difference when it come to winter weather driving.

So advise me pit, what is the difference and which is better for winter weather driving.

I'm trying to decide which one I need for the next vehicle. I currently have 4wd and use it several times a year when visiting the mountains during winter snows. I haven't found any good explanations online as to the difference when it come to winter weather driving.

So advise me pit, what is the difference and which is better for winter weather driving.

Front-wheel drive would probably give you what you need with better gas mileage, but I'm not an expert.

Typically, AWD is full-time where 4WD is select-able.

For most people, front-wheel drive is fine and like 07 says, will provide better mileage.

Typically, AWD is full-time where 4WD is select-able.

For most people, front-wheel drive is fine and like 07 says, will provide better mileage.

Interesting. The awd has better gas mileage than the 4wd.

Saw this article at an orthodontist's office. Pretty good breakdown:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1105_4wd_vs_awd/viewall.html

Front wheel is considered better in snow but it's a hard sell to "petrol heads." I hate front-wheel drive, personally.

I read that this morning. It was the best explanation I found. In basically looking at a crossover SUV that is awd with just slightly less cargo space but better mileage and an SUV that has 7 cubic inches of more cargo space, 2 mpg less, and 4wd.

I'm coming from a jeep so the idea of a cross over and awd is new to me. Just doing preliminary research to decide what meets my needs on paper.

Saw this article at an orthodontist's office. Pretty good breakdown:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1105_4wd_vs_awd/viewall.html

Front wheel is considered better in snow but it's a hard sell to "petrol heads." I hate front-wheel drive, personally.

My first car was a front wheel drive, and the engine was in there sideways. It made changing the rear spark plugs a challenge.

One cool aspect of a front wheel drive though, you get to do donuts in reverse, which is a lot of fun.

My first car was a front wheel drive, and the engine was in there sideways. It made changing the rear spark plugs a challenge.

I'd like to find the sonofabitch who invented transverse mounted engines and beat him to death for EXACTLY that reason. I had to take off the entire intake manifold on my wife's car to get to 1, 3, and 5. A 30 minute job got stretched into 2 days.

FWD is better in the snow than RWD for going downhill or on flat roads. If you're in the mountains trying to go up a snowy/icey/muddy/loose-gravel-y hill, FWD will be worthless as the weight will shift towards the back wheels, you'll lose traction on the front wheels, and you'll soon be walking.

Another thing to consider depending on how steep and how snowy the roads are is the tires you have. Many AWD vehicles come with touring tires for a more comfortable and quiet ride. The treads on these tires are usually fairly straight whereas the tires on a 4WD vehicle are more likely to have a tread pattern that is cross-hatched, like this:

|||||||
|||||||
|||||||

vs.

###### (tires moving/pushing ^ way)
######
######

If you're on a road that is steep and/or has lots of snow, these tires won't grip well even on an AWD vehicle and they'll spin. If you go with an AWD vehicle but encounter pretty nasty road conditions often, you might want to invest in some different tires for that purpose.

Just my $.02, hope that helps...

Last edited:
front wheel drive is considered better than AWD or 4WD? def no

If you're worried about snowy conditions and general traction, AWD is probably better for you. But as the other person said, tire choice is a bigger factor.

For example, I bought a used 4WD Honda Pilot that was leased/used in South Carolina and didn't have multiseason tires. That winter, my front wheel drive toyota camry with 4 season tires was better in the snow than the 4WD with summer tires.

Last edited:
4WD vehicles usually have a second gear transfer case that allow you to drop into 4WD "Low" to get out if you are really stuck or towing something really heavy for a short distance. AWD vehicles don't usually have that second box.

Additionally, AWD vehicles are basically front-wheel drive the majority of the time. There is some power going to the rear wheels, but it is like a 90/10 split. That is how it gets better gas mileage. Then when it needs aditional traction it will send more power to the rear wheels. But I still don't think it would ever get down to a 50/50 split, but that may depend on the vehicle. That would impact things like towing and offroading. In contrast, a 4WD vehcile, when engaged, is more of a true 50/50 split between front and rear.

My car guy always puts me in 4 season tires. The awd opens up another vehicle option to look at. I was concerned that it wouldn't meet my needs as far as winter weather driving goes.

4WD vehicles usually have a second gear transfer case that allow you to drop into 4WD "Low" to get out if you are really stuck or towing something really heavy for a short distance. AWD vehicles don't usually have that second box.

Additionally, AWD vehicles are basically front-wheel drive the majority of the time. There is some power going to the rear wheels, but it is like a 90/10 split. That is how it gets better gas mileage. Then when it needs aditional traction it will send more power to the rear wheels. But I still don't think it would ever get down to a 50/50 split, but that may depend on the vehicle. That would impact things like towing and offroading. In contrast, a 4WD vehcile, when engaged, is more of a true 50/50 split between front and rear.

The top situation is how my current car is. All of the crossovers and SUVs in looking at have a towing option. For me my priorities are cargo space, towing package, and can do winter weather driving when I need it to.

And don't forget all the fun of limited slip differentials or locking differentials. So a 4wd vehicle, like my Wrangler, is actually one wheel drive under normal circumstances. The engine sends power to one rear wheel. If you have a limited slip differential and that one tire loses traction, the axles starts sending power to the other rear wheel. If you don't have one and you get stuck in the mud, this is when you see one wheel spinning in the mud and the other doing nothing (No LSD in that case.)

In 4wd you actually go up to 2 wheels powering the Jeep, one on the rear axle and one on the front. If you actually have locking differentials then you can "lock" them into place with a switch and effectively send equal power to each wheel on the axle.

None of these takes into consideration electronic traction control, which uses your brakes to slow one wheel down while forcing the other to spin. It's all so simple and clear!

Seriously though, for your situation either would be fine, it's just that 4WD would require you to choose to put the vehicle in 4WD, while AWD takes care of it all for you. As mentioned before, AWD typically runs biased to FWD and shifts power to the rear axle as needed.

I have had a AWD vehicle for years...Love it in the rain...Only complaint is its hard on tires for some reason...

And don't forget all the fun of limited slip differentials or locking differentials. So a 4wd vehicle, like my Wrangler, is actually one wheel drive under normal circumstances. The engine sends power to one rear wheel. If you have a limited slip differential and that one tire loses traction, the axles starts sending power to the other rear wheel. If you don't have one and you get stuck in the mud, this is when you see one wheel spinning in the mud and the other doing nothing (No LSD in that case.)

In 4wd you actually go up to 2 wheels powering the Jeep, one on the rear axle and one on the front. If you actually have locking differentials then you can "lock" them into place with a switch and effectively send equal power to each wheel on the axle.

None of these takes into consideration electronic traction control, which uses your brakes to slow one wheel down while forcing the other to spin. It's all so simple and clear!

Seriously though, for your situation either would be fine, it's just that 4WD would require you to choose to put the vehicle in 4WD, while AWD takes care of it all for you. As mentioned before, AWD typically runs biased to FWD and shifts power to the rear axle as needed.

14-MT-MarisaTomei-MyCousinVinny.jpg

I have always known this to be the case, but I am confused by my new F-150. It has a gauge setting where you can see how much power the engine is sending to each tire. It shows power going equally to both rear tires normally and when in 4x4 it shows power going to all 4 tires.

I have had a AWD vehicle for years...Love it in the rain...Only complaint is its hard on tires for some reason...

Yep, love my subaru in the rain.

is the AWD crossover you're considering possibly the Crosscheck? i have a big crush on that car.

Back