• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AZ Tea Party get legalized discrimination bill to pass

Did you read the amicus brief? It's pretty shocking that someone in or around the military wouldn't know that the military has been in favor of Affirmative Action.

From the brief: "The military should be permitted to continue to employ race-conscious policies to educate and train a highly-qualified and diverse officer corps to further the compelling governmental interest in an effective military."

I had not previously read it, but I skimmed it after you posted. I suppose I am parsing words here, but I don't think of AA as favoring racial diversity. In my caveman brain, I think of AA as quotas. Regardless, the military's support of the issue, as evidenced by the brief, far surpassed what I had expected, so I guess I'll just quit posting about this now. Y'all have fun.

I had not previously read it, but I skimmed it after you posted. I suppose I am parsing words here, but I don't think of AA as favoring racial diversity. In my caveman brain, I think of AA as quotas. Regardless, the military's support of the issue, as evidenced by the brief, far surpassed what I had expected, so I guess I'll just quit posting about this now. Y'all have fun.

AA is not quotas anymore. Favoring racial diversity is exactly what it is.

AA is not quotas anymore. Favoring racial diversity is exactly what it is.

If that was actually true, then why wouldn't admissions offices publish the weight they place on race? UNC has famously resisted it for years, at great expense.

What is your "evidence"? Please cite specifics in the unreleased evidence from the UNC system in your response, since you seem to be able to speak with such precision and preemption.

Quotas are how some attempt to enforce affirmative action much like how Bz is how Wake attempted to have a winning basketball program.

Affirmative action is literally taking positive actions toward diversity.

Quotas are a lazy way that they've been implemented. I think one reason was so people wouldn't have to do the work to actively recruit a broad pool of women and minorities. The other reason was likely to piss off white guys and appeal to their fears of "unqualified" people taking their "rightful" place. Obviously that one has succeeded.

If that was actually true, then why wouldn't admissions offices publish the weight they place on race? UNC has famously resisted it for years, at great expense.

What is your "evidence"? Please cite specifics in the unreleased evidence from the UNC system in your response, since you seem to be able to speak with such precision and preemption.

Instead of citing the admissions policies of a corrupt cesspool of a university that seems to do everything wrong, how about taking a look at Grutter v. Bollinger?

Instead of citing the admissions policies of a corrupt cesspool of a university that seems to do everything wrong, how about taking a look at Grutter v. Bollinger?

You're the one who pretends to be able to speak with certainty. Didn't you say "exactly"?

I need the evidence upon which you state your professed certainty. We can all cite dicta, I'm asking for the "exact" (your word) weight that the UNC system places on race. Specificity as to "exactly", please. Thanks in advance.

The truth is you have no idea, because they won't say. Never a good sign, BTW.

The exciting part is that the military---which most agree is about as much a meritocracy as we have in our country---is able to achieve a significant amount of diversity without relying heavily on so-called preferences or quotas. Noteworthy.

For any out there who don't want to swallow jhmd's bullshit, just read the amicus brief. Really solid primer for how the military has systemically championed affirmative action for decades, to great effect. Or just google it.

The exciting part is that the military---which most agree is about as much a meritocracy as we have in our country---is able to achieve a significant amount of diversity without relying heavily on so-called preferences or quotas. Noteworthy.

Pro sports are more of a meritocracy than the military.

For any out there who don't want to swallow jhmd's bullshit, just read the amicus brief. Really solid primer for how the military has systemically championed affirmative action for decades, to great effect. Or just google it.

Right. Why look at primary documents which lay out the process exactly as I both described and experienced it? Actual evidence? Who needs that, when you have this wonderful, facttarded theory of what you want to be true?

You guys object to other people's "legalized discrimination", but love your own. We get it, thanks. No reason to start manufacturing rationalizations. Just own it and move on.

Jan Brewer's a partisan hack who's termed out and has no future nationally. Wouldn't be surprised to see her sign this legislation into law. One of the post-Obama challenges for Dems is to keep the Obama base, especially young people and Blacks energized. Trying to nationalize discriminating against gays based on religious beliefs is just going to piss off voters under 30. Doubling down on the same "rationale" that Rand Paul used when saying he'd vote against the Civil Rights Act will alienate minorities again. Maybe bring up stand your ground laws (which the NRA has been noticeably silent about) and the GOP will have successfully aroused their aging homogeneous base which isn't remotely large enough to get to 270 electoral votes. Demographics is destiny and the quantitatively challenged poll-phobic GOP refuses to embrace policies that will allow them to be viable in the coming decades.

I think she vetoed this last year. If she doesn't, it could even turn out a huge vote nationally in 2014.

The GOP's racist and classist voter suppression laws added to this, to the anti-gay marriage laws in many states could backfire on them.

Right. Why look at primary documents which lay out the process exactly as I both described and experienced it? Actual evidence? Who needs that, when you have this wonderful, facttarded theory of what you want to be true?

You guys object to other people's "legalized discrimination", but love your own. We get it, thanks. No reason to start manufacturing rationalizations. Just own it and move on.

Just read the brief. Did you read it?

This is disingenuous... to put it kindly. IF the military reflected the US population you would have a better argument, but the military is disproportionately served by minorities.

This is disingenuous... to put it kindly. IF the military reflected the US population you would have a better argument, but the military is disproportionately served by minorities.

I think we should all be celebrate that in a race-blind promotions system, merit sorts out who gets promoted, and diversity happens by the natural order of things. I understand that it comes as quite a blow to our friends on the left that minorities are able to succeed and advance without their intervention. I imagine that takes much of the fun out of being a liberal. That's a price I'm willing to have them pay, though.

And you trust people to be race-blind without intervention.

Why?

jhmd has got to be the only person I've ever "met" who doesn't believe that "Birds of a feather flock together" and "It's all about who you know."

Last edited:
And you trust people to be race-blind without intervention.

Why?

jhmd has got to be the only person I've ever "met" who doesn't believe that "Birds of a feather flock together" and "It's all about who you know."

one of those "i don't see race" people

Back