• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Babysitting rates?

How much/What should I offer

• Don't even offer - only pay if she asks (aka BBD answer)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • $10/hour

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • Dinner

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Other - explain in thread

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
damn. by the time I have kids it's going to be $20/hr. WTF.

damn. by the time I have kids it's going to be $20/hr. WTF.

I knew girls when I was at Wake that would charge $20/hour if it was a last-minute thing, but the rates were much lower ($10 was the usual number IIRC, as low as $8 if it was going to be an all day thing I think)

If they are not certified by some licensing agency, there will certainly be a bad outcome.

What is this "if she refuses" nonsense? Of course she will refuse, and of course you will make her take the money. This song and dance has been going on as long as money has been around.

What is this "if she refuses" nonsense? Of course she will refuse, and of course you will make her take the money. This song and dance has been going on as long as money has been around.

Right, but just like how the girl must make the effort at dinner to pay, you've got to make the offer. It's all about making the effort.

Right, but just like how the girl must make the effort at dinner to pay, you've got to make the offer. It's all about making the effort.

Do women do that in DC? Any woman I've explained that to looked at me like I told them grass was purple and the sky is pink.

Do women do that in DC? Any woman I've explained that to looked at me like I told them grass was purple and the sky is pink.

Truth is I rarely take girls out to dinner unless we've already gone on a couple dates. However, the whole "going for the reach" still exists beyond the dinner check.

Won't exactly tell you if the girl is a keeper, but can definitely tell you if she's not.

Well yeah, but you don't acquiesce and let the girl pay for dinner, just like you don't acquiesce and let the sitter go without some money in her pocket.

Well yeah, but you don't acquiesce and let the girl pay for dinner, just like you don't acquiesce and let the sitter go without some money in her pocket.

Correct, but you do then find a compromise. With the girl, you allow her to then pay for first drinks at the next bar. Or the cab ride home to your place. Just as you compromise and tell the babysitter you're at least paying for you two to grab dinner one night.

Truth is I rarely take girls out to dinner unless we've already gone on a couple dates. However, the whole "going for the reach" still exists beyond the dinner check.

Won't exactly tell you if the girl is a keeper, but can definitely tell you if she's not.

I read this first part and I was all :rofl:

Correct, but you do then find a compromise. With the girl, you allow her to then pay for first drinks at the next bar. Or the cab ride home to your place. Just as you compromise and tell the babysitter you're at least paying for you two to grab dinner one night.

compromise? if you compromise and let her pay for anything she can choose not to put out. that does not fly. make her feel like she has to pull out her other coin purse to pay.

(i keed i keed)

The rate could be dependent on if she babysits for Matt, too.

$10 AN HOUR?!?!? Your friend will be hearing from the Babysitters Union shortly. This will not stand!

$15 or $20???? Really? You people are being overcharged

11857323.jpg

Be an adult, put $50 in an envelope and hand it to her casually without comment. None of this "offer to pay" bullshit.

$50? No chance I pay that much to go to a Christmas party for a company that Matt is only going to be working for for 2 more weeks.

Be an adult, put $50 in an envelope and hand it to her casually without comment. None of this "offer to pay" bullshit.

Cash money? What do you think chicdeac is, a drug dealer? She'll just paypal $50 over from her smartphone on the way back from dinner.

Back