• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Back to the Future: Wake Forest returns to LB U

What are the other classes in the Top 5 and what were they ranked?

I really don't have any idea. But we were what, 8th or 9th in the ACC? I would be surprised if we'd ever even sniffed a top half recruiting finish before.

Go for it Lectro..............Don't stop writing.

to the doubters......of course we're going to be optimistic, maybe overly so, at this point of the season, just a like a coach would be and just like the players should be.
The sky's the limit for now.

I never met a successful pessimist.
Onward............

The fact is this...if you go through and read the posts phd provided you will nowhere Fucking find me talking about "All anything" from those posts provided. What you boys' problem? What did I say about Riley Haynes? That he is a certain size and runs a sub 4.7 forty!!! Well Hesus Kristy, looks like ol' Lec says Haynes is gunning for the Butkus.

Oh shut the fuck up.

Same fucking thing for Hazime or any other examples -- where do I say "so and so" is going to be a stud outside our obviously talented recruits like Ziggy, Olson and Justin Jackson. You have to have quality depth to win at this level. Everybody can't be a stud but the more raw numbers you have competing makes you better. That is where this team is today...

This is a load -- read what I wrote. It's one thing to absolutely believe as I do today as opposed to remembering to say something nice or nothing at all.

Last edited:
WF22890's point was compared to other wake recruiting class, not other ACC teams. My question is what was done in the spring of '06 to prepare for the championship season, that hasn't been done since? Was it just a bunch of seniors going to the final round-up, or was it something else? The comparison of Berry and Curry was a perfect contrast.

WF22890's point was compared to other wake recruiting class, not other ACC teams. My question is what was done in the spring of '06 to prepare for the championship season, that hasn't been done since? Was it just a bunch of seniors going to the final round-up, or was it something else? The comparison of Berry and Curry was a perfect contrast.

If all Wake recruiting classes have been poor -- and they have according to service rankings -- what does that really purport to show? The Fresh Deac class wasn't good because of its ranking; it was good in spite of it. And the odds of lightning striking twice is very remote, especially recently.

Last edited:
If all Wake recruiting classes have been poor -- and they have according to service rankings -- what does that really purport to show? The Fresh Deac class wasn't good because of its ranking; it was good in spite of it. And the odds of lightening striking twice is very remote, especially recently.

What was it that made them different? What got that performance out of them?

Scouting wasn't as good back then. It was harder for players to promote themselves.

I think the primary problem in recent classes has not been in the realm of talent but the large number of players who have either been released or have quit/transferred. In 2010 we recruited 3 rbs, 2 are no longer in school and the 3rd has not gotten a single carry that I can recall. There has been an unusual number of guys brought in who for whatever reason have not worked out. This has left us short-handed at a number of key positions. You have to hold the staff responsible when that happens multiple times. At any rate, I am not sure that a talent deficiency has been the issue.

Good points. However I don't think the guys we lost were that talented either.

Flailing on all of those Nease players really hurt. It really looked like we were recruiting DL players with some pretty big time offers, and they just didn't pan out.

Remember when Tom Elrod was regarded as a stud recruiter who owned the Jacksonville area?

And Russell. A long time ago.

We had a lot of Nease and Bolles signings after them that were well hyped and didn't pan out.

Here's the list of Jacksonville area signings post-Skinner and Russell (2005):

LB Hunter Haynes
DT Teddy Tomlin
OL Cannon Gaskin

WR Jordan Williams
OL Chance Raines

LB Riley Haynes
QB Ted Stachitas
LB Scott Betros
TE Andrew Parker
DT Ramon Booi

DE John Gallagher
DT Frank Souza
CB Derald Jones

S Desmond Cooper
TE Neil Basford

2011 - none

WR Jared Crump

2013 - none

Two observations:

1. That's not a strong list. Several underwhelming starters.
2. The Jax pipeline basically shut down after signing day 2010. We went from 15 in 5 years to 1 in the last 3 years. Meanwhile, our South Florida recruiting has expanded by going back to Pahokee, getting into Fort Lauderdale and the Miami areas.

No offense to Jacksonville intended. I've had a great time everytime I've been there. And they've got 2 Bojangles. Been to one. God bless them.

Nah. Just two. Same two they've had for awhile. I checked. All the rest are on the other side of Orlando from me. Shame.

Back