• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baddour resigns

I think there is consternation among UNC alumni that this did not happen last year and did happen the week before fall practice commences. Which really is senseless, except that every step taken by UNC in this fiasco has been calculated to avert NCAA penalties. That indicates to me that something really big was coming from the NCAA and this is their attempt to avoid the most severe penalties.

That's a funny thought to me. To really avoid penalties, they should have cut this clown loose a year ago and washed their hands of the whole thing. They've tried to avoid penalties by keeping the same people in place and by only doing anything when they are literally one step away from being fucked.

NCAA has to know this is too little, too late. I don't see how firing the coach/Baddour stepping down now, as opposed to a year ago, can really help them lessen the penalties. It's clear that if something major was going down, they've known about it for a year and were trying to hang on, hoping they could pull one over on the NCAA.

How awkward was it in the presser when Thorp reluctantly agreed to accept Baddour's resignation and then started the applause?

Uhm....Isn't this a press conference? I know UNC is used to receiving favorable treatment in the media, but starting applause for the 'retiring' AD at a press conference where you are discussing why you just fired your head football coach in the middle of an NCAA scandle was just classic.

Hindenburg_burning.jpg

How awkward was it in the presser when Thorp reluctantly agreed to accept Baddour's resignation and then started the applause?

Uhm....Isn't this a press conference? I know UNC is used to receiving favorable treatment in the media, but starting applause for the 'retiring' AD at a press conference where you are discussing why you just fired your head football coach in the middle of an NCAA scandle was just classic.

It's the same UNC spin that leads a Chancellor to conclude that the head football coach knew nothing of:
  • the improprieties of his closest assistant and best friend
  • the academic improprieties and extra benefits provided by a tutor on his own personal payroll
  • and the illicit one-on-one workouts being held by an alumnus outisde his office window.
so we're going to find him blameless and play him $2.7mill so we don't incriminate ourselves even further to the NCAA.

Norwood Teague seems like a natural successor. That guy actually seems pretty sharp.

Both hush money and Norwood Teague points are spot on.

Chances of us ever seeing the 216 phone records now? Not high, I'd say.

Most of my friends who just graduated UNC are furious that this happened. I can't understand why the integrity of the university takes a backseat to winning a tire bowl, but who knows.

The rumor they are hearing is a new board of Trustees was sworn in and they voted to fire Butch. Baddour folded and fired him, but apparently resigned today in protest. Who knows if any of that is true.

Wait, really?

Most of my friends who just graduated UNC are furious that this happened. I can't understand why the integrity of the university takes a backseat to winning a tire bowl, but who knows.

The rumor they are hearing is a new board of Trustees was sworn in and they voted to fire Butch. Baddour folded and fired him, but apparently resigned today in protest. Who knows if any of that is true.

IIRC, Butch led the Heels to 2 Tire Bowl appearances, but 0 Tire Bowl wins.

Both hush money and Norwood Teague points are spot on.

Chances of us ever seeing the 216 phone records now? Not high, I'd say.

Depends upon what the boys over at Packpride choose to do

Depends upon what the boys over at Packpride choose to do

Yeah - say what you want about NC State fans - but they have been on a mission from God to tear down the UNC Athletic Department.

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:
"Blame Baddour, who’s somehow survived his terrible hires of Carl Torbush and John Bunting in football as well as Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty in basketball. If he had done his job right this time, maybe North Carolina football wouldn’t be the laughingstock of college football right now."

IIRC, Butch led the Heels to 2 Tire Bowl appearances, but 0 Tire Bowl wins.

For me, the highlight of the Butch Davis era was the Tire Bowl game when Greg Little scored a touchdown on the first drive of the game and punted the ball into the stands, drawing a 15 yard penalty. Priceless.

The next best highlight was their game at Groves in 2007--bunch of Carolina fans showed up that day, ready to talk shit about how they were going to kick our asses now that they had Butch. Then Aaron Curry picked off TJ Yates on the first drive and Kevin Marion had a couple of monster kickoff returns. 37-10. That was fun.

Back