• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banana Selection

How do you select your banana?

• Total voters

HeavyPetter

Carnal Decadence
Reaction score
When you choose a banana, pulling it from the bunch, in the morning, how do you decide which one to pick? Do you just reach for the one that's next in line or do you examine them and try to make an informed decision. Do you choose the best looking one, hoping that the one with the big bruise will miraculously heal over the next couple of days? Or do you choose the worst looking one hoping to maximize your enjoyment of it before it goes bad, knowing that the best looking banana will keep better over the next few days?

I think this says a lot about you as a person.

worst banana first. that way i don't usually wind up with bananas that are so bad that i throw them out. i hate throwing out food.

I go for the worst one, though I've considering sacrificing it to decay to allow me to eat a slightly better banana the rest of the times.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. My wife doesn't eat bananas, but my kids do. So they'll ask for bananas and she'll give them both a randomly selected banana and cut out the bad parts. Then the kids take three bites and put the banana down. So my wife puts the banana in a ziploc bag and puts in the refrigerator where it turns brown. Upon seeing two barely eaten bananas rotting in the fridge, I always take them out of the fridge, warm them up, and eat them immediately, as they're sure to spoil.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. My wife doesn't eat bananas, but my kids do. So they'll ask for bananas and she'll give them both a randomly selected banana and cut out the bad parts. Then the kids take three bites and put the banana down. So my wife puts the banana in a ziploc bag and puts in the refrigerator where it turns brown. Upon seeing two barely eaten bananas rotting in the fridge, I always take them out of the fridge, warm them up, and eat them immediately, as they're sure to spoil.

so y'all have more than one kid, and give them each their own banana, but they don't eat the whole thing? why can't they just split one banana so you don't wind up with two half eaten bananas in the fridge?

also, putting bananas in the fridge is gross because they get brown REALLY fast. i really don't like brown bananas.

Sometimes, if I'm going to be in the car, I'll take a better looking banana. Have you ever peeled a banana a little too far, exposing a soft spot about half way down, so that when you take a bite, the stability of the fruit is compromised, causing the banana to fall in your lap and make a mess? That's why I choose the best looking banana sometimes.

so y'all have more than one kid, and give them each their own banana, but they don't eat the whole thing? why can't they just split one banana so you don't wind up with two half eaten bananas in the fridge?

also, putting bananas in the fridge is gross because they get brown REALLY fast. i really don't like brown bananas.

One will ask for a banana and walk around with it. So then the other one wants his/her own banana. Occasionally they will eat the whole thing, so you never really know. As the one who cares the most about the bananas, I'm more likely to ration them between the kids and myself.

Someday you will understand that children hate sharing with their siblings. It could be a 5 scoop banana split, or a stick of bubble gum. There is no compromise.

lolz

come on man, just tell your kids to share. once you explain to them that it is wasteful since they rarely consume the entire banana, they will certainly understand.

Too many factors involved for me to identify a pattern. It depends on the intensity of my craving, whether the craving is for a great banana or any banana, how bad the bad ones look, how good the good ones look, the number of bananas left, how many bananas I anticipate will be eaten over the next few days, whether it's going to be cut up in cereal/eaten plain/eaten with peanut butter, whether I'm in a "conserving" mood or a "splurging" mood, etc.

I am a guy who follows patterns, but here there is none.

The only real justification for choosing the best banana first is if you're going to soon be baking the bananas into bread or muffins, so you may as well let the bananas get bad, freeze them until you have enough, then use them for the bread/muffins.

it starts when you are picking the bunch. if they all are the same color green/yellow transition period and you eat them all that week they should all be the same ripeness thus this is an indication of your horrible picking (or your wifes)

Funny you post this, because for the past week I've been thinking a lot about bananas. I had bought a bunch of bananas 2 weeks ago that I didn't get around to eating. So the next week, I started to bring them in for lunch, only they were really old and mushy. But, despite the fact that a banana cost like 4 cents, I did not want to throw them out, so for a week I suffered the gross bananas and ate them.

Sort of made me wonder what other peoples' standards are for when a banana is too mushy. Obviously, I have very low standards, as the peel was basically falling off these bananas I was eating. But, a few weeks back I was at the beach with a few friends, one of whom refused to eat a banana that was totally yellow, but had one small bruise the size of a dime. Wouldn't even eat around it. That's a high maintenance banana eater right there.

true story - I worked one single solitary day at Smoothie King when I was a young buck. Glenwood Ave in Raleigh.

They purposely let their bananas go totally black before using them. Something about higher vitamins, etc.

Anyhow, now you know that Smoothie King uses black bananas, and it's good for you.

Black bananas are sweeter. They have more vitamins at their peak ripeness, just like other fruits.

We usually go to the store like four times a week anyway, so we just buy three to five at a time and none go bad.

this is us too.

for some reason i love going to the grocery store. probably because it gets me out of the house.

Back