• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bands that never made it big that you liked

guitardeac

Reaction score
The jam band thread got me thinking about some regional bands that never really made it past that. Name some of the bands you liked - especially back in your Wake days - that never made it big but you were into them.

The Connells - Loved them during the 80s. Still listen to them

Dillon Fence - Greg Humphreys I always thought wrote cool songs. They were good live. Living Room Scene was a great record

HardSoul Poets (changed to Jolene) - John Crooke ( I think that's right) was/is a really good songwriter IMO.

Cravin Melon - my wife's sister dated Doug Jones the lead singer, so I have played with them some

Drivin N Cryin - got to a fairly decent level at one point, but short-lived.

Pat McGee (Band) - maybe my favorite of this post. Charlottesville guys, another really good songwriter. Saw him a long time ago, and Train opened for them. Seen them many times over the years.

The jam band thread got me thinking about some regional bands that never really made it past that. Name some of the bands you liked - especially back in your Wake days - that never made it big but you were into them.

The Connells - Loved them during the 80s. Still listen to them

Dillon Fence - Greg Humphreys I always thought wrote cool songs. They were good live. Living Room Scene was a great record

HardSoul Poets (changed to Jolene) - John Crooke ( I think that's right) was/is a really good songwriter IMO.

Cravin Melon - my wife's sister dated Doug Jones the lead singer, so I have played with them some

Drivin N Cryin - got to a fairly decent level at one point, but short-lived.

Pat McGee (Band) - maybe my favorite of this post. Charlottesville guys, another really good songwriter. Saw him a long time ago, and Train opened for them. Seen them many times over the years.

Agree on Connells. They were panty droppers back in the day. DandC had a pretty good run. Kevn Kinny was on stage Monday when Bruce died.

Nada Surf. They're known for Popular as a one-hit wonder, but their other music is incredible. They're also great live - I think I've seen them at least five times.

Allgood, Cravin Melon, DnC - all good ones. Jupiter Coyote was the shiz back in the day.

Showing my age here...Spirit, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Nils Lofgren.

The Minutemen. Very difficult with a dead lead singer though.

All the bands I was in.

From the NC scene I thought The Vanguard and later Stream was just great. Don Dixon's bands, too. And the Fabulous Knobs and the Spongetones.

I just recently played a gig with an 80/90s Chicago band called Green that by all accounts shoulda "made it." (Tunnels posters note that's Ken Kurson on bass in Dont even need her..)

Last edited:
Showing my age here...Spirit, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Nils Lofgren.

Huh? Dude has been on a worldwide top-10 highest-grossing tour almost every year for like the last 20 years. Tough to say he didn't make it big.

And Dramarama is the correct answer to this question.

Sex Police

Freddy Jones Band

Life in General

Not sure what constitutes "making it big" but I always thought The Connells and Drivin & Cryin did pretty well for themselves.

All those had moments as stars. Hell, Nils was successful. Then, he joined the E Street Band. You can't get much bigger than that.

Beachwood Sparks, The Tyde, Pernice Brothers

Nils Lofgren had his OWN band in the late 60's. I realize he is with Bruce now, but his own band never made it and should have.

Back