• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bands that never made it big that you liked

There was a local band that played bars and small venues here, but played theaters and arenas in Europe, Walter Trout.

There was a local band that played bars and small venues here, but played theaters and arenas in Europe, Walter Trout.

Walter Trout is about as famous as a blues guitarist can get in the US.

Sorta like The Hoff?

Better musicians and shows than the Hoff. :)

It was kinda cool to often seen people from Europe come over on their holidays to see Walter play semi-dive bars.

In the OP

I don't think a lot of people read the original post or even the title before commenting.

"never made it big"
"regional bands that never really made it past that" "never made it big" all in that initial post.

Great thread with a lot of my favorite college era bands already mentioned, plus some stuff I haven't heard of that I have added to my Spotify queue. However, the highlight of the thread is being introduced to the Cold War Kids song, "We Used to Vacation". Had heard the song a couple of times before (and likely once live), but never paid attention to the lyrics. As TAB said, they are brutal....in a good way.

I don't think a lot of people read the original post or even the title before commenting.

"never made it big"
"regional bands that never really made it past that" "never made it big" all in that initial post.

Great thread with a lot of my favorite college era bands already mentioned, plus some stuff I haven't heard of that I have added to my Spotify queue. However, the highlight of the thread is being introduced to the Cold War Kids song, "We Used to Vacation". Had heard the song a couple of times before (and likely once live), but never paid attention to the lyrics. As TAB said, they are brutal....in a good way.

Love Cold War Kids (and that song), but I think they've made it. Actually, my being aware of them is very good evidence that they made it.

Thought of another one. The Producers from Atlanta. Their album "You Make the Heat" was really good and they were great live.

I just found out that the Cold War Kids are playing in Atlanta (City of Decline) in October. I thought this was the best place to share this.

Handful of Lovinwas a great reefer WA state band with tons of talent and, in my opinion, a terrible name. Saw some great shows and still listen to some of their stuff on the reg. Wonder what happened to those fellas

Pretty much any band on the Aware compilations that weren't Hootie, Vertical or Edwin McCain.

Also, as mentioned, Sex Police, but before that, Notes From a Strange Mailbag.

I was going to offer up Crystal Castles but there have a few songs on youtube with over 10 mil views. That probably precludes them.

Yes! I dated a girl in HS and her cousin was the lead singer I saw them often at old ziggurat. Might have to dust off one of my old t shirts

Played pony league baseball with the lead guitarist and the other guitarist/mandolin did the music at my first wedding. Great guys

Back