• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bands that never made it big that you liked

New Potato Caboose
Indecision
White Animals
Usuals
Blue Dogs
Cheese and the Meats
Mr. Potato Head
Mary on the Dash
Hege V
Indian Summer

Very good list!

I would also throw in :
Love Tractor
The Lucy Show
The Chickasaw Mudpuppies
and as mentioned Let’s Active & The Connels

New Potato Caboose and Cowboy Mouth are strong submissions

I just made my local bar make a connells/lets active/replacements channel on their av system!

+1 on Freddy Jones Band

Tripping Daisy ( lead man Tim Delaughter turned into The Polyphonic Spree)so he turned out okay.

Little Sister

Billy Goat

Tripping Daisy is reuniting tomorrow night after 18 years apart. Fittingly, they're playing Dada in Deep Ellum.

New Potato Caboose and Cowboy Mouth are strong submissions

Cowboy Mouth was started by the drummer from Dash Rip Rock. The DRR lineup with Leblanc on drums and Hoaky Hickel on bass was brilliant.

Someone mentioned the White Animals. IMO, for a good portion of the 80s they were the best touring bar band around. I used to party with them when they came through Raleigh. Fun times. Their cover version of Gloria was awesome.

Someone mentioned Bo Deans and Allgood. Both good strong bands but just didn't have the singles to break out. Jupiter Coyote was in the vein as well.

I hope Susto out of Charleston makes it. They can jam like the ones above but seem to have better writing.

https://www.sustoisreal.com/

I used to wait tables in Athens and Allgood came in late to the restaurant after me and the kitchen crew had been enjoying several post shift shots..Well I ended up spilling an entire tray of drinks on the drummer. The rest of the band just laughed at him, clearly seeing I was a bit glassy eyed.

Still tipped me very well.

My best friend growing went to IU Bloomington. He turned me on to a band Hopscotch Army and I turned him onto The Connells. Hopscotch was really good. Another band from Indiana I think they came out of Ball State was called The Why Store. I lived in Chicago early 90s saw Freddy Jones Band a couple of times. Another good Chicago band from that time was Mr. Blotto. Another good one from Louisville was Big Wheel. Again 80s/90s era.

Anybody ever hear of band from Lexington, KY called Velvet Elvis?

Athenaeum - local band from Greensboro. I was at the 2001 Ziggy's concert referenced in the wiki article. Man I miss that place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenaeum_(band)

Can't believe it took this long on a WFU board of all places to list Athenaeum. Went to a bunch of their shows in that late 90s / early 00's time frame ... they got just enough recognition to have "made it" but not really.

Squeeze was prolific, but they never really made it big like contemporaries like Elvis Costello/REM/U2.

Also, i keep The Loft on in my office at low vol every day. When i came in today...74-75 was playing when i flipped it on. Mike Marrone is a big Connells fan.

Back