• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bands that never made it big that you liked

Butterglory. Hi Lo Trons.

Lot of okay bands listed here, but that's cool people like different things. In the same vein..... Jump Little Children!

Robbin Thompson Band. Thompson was a member of Steel Mill with Springsteen, but didn't stay with the rest of the band members (who evolved into the E Street Band). Robbin Thompson band was a really good regional band that I probably listened to a couple of dozen times at The Coffee Pot in Roanoke and other venues.

BTW, The Coffee Pot was a great venue in its day. I had the good fortune to drink a beer with Willie Nelson there in '74 or '75 when he showed up after a concert. Of course, he ended up singing a few songs for the 75-100 folks still there. Showtime did a cool series on American roadhouses back in the '80's that featured The 'Pot in one episode. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coffee_Pot_(Roanoke,_Virginia)

Someone else mentioned Lone Justice. I just went and listened to some of their stuff - I had forgotten how much I liked them. I am somewhat surprised Maria McKee didn't have more success on her own...

Someone else mentioned Lone Justice. I just went and listened to some of their stuff - I had forgotten how much I liked them. I am somewhat surprised Maria McKee didn't have more success on her own...

Her solo album You Gotta Sin to Get Saved is an Alt Country masterpiece, one of my favorite 90's albums. Backed by the Jayhawks and a couple of Heartbreakers. Her later stuff has some decent tunes but she got pretty weird as she got older. Her voice was legendary though.

Her solo album You Gotta Sin to Get Saved is an Alt Country masterpiece, one of my favorite 90's albums. Backed by the Jayhawks and a couple of Heartbreakers. Her later stuff has some decent tunes but she got pretty weird as she got older. Her voice was legendary though.

That is a great record. I saw MM live around the time it was released. It was a surprisingly uninspired show. Short set, didn't seem into it at all. Could've been the smallish venue or an off night. Not Van Morrison level disinterest, but definitely a "I don't want to be here" vibe.

Unrelated: check out Sarah Shook's new record. Fantastic. Fuck Up is an instant classic.

Unrelated: check out Sarah Shook's new record. Fantastic. Fuck Up is an instant classic.

Just picked up this up yesterday...have not given it a listen yet as new John Moreland and Chris Stapleton have first dibs. Excited to check it out though.

Couple who did make it IMO (whatever the hell that even means):

Gibb Droll
Bus Stop's Evan Olsen

Still have a Gibb Droll t shirt from 1996 or so. Gibb was great when he was jazz/blues. Got a little to bar-bandish later on.

Doxy's Kitchen should have made it.

In the same vein as MCP, I'll add Loop. Always enjoyed them.

She has bad teeth.

this has been a fun thread.

Has anyone mentioned Jump Little Children yet?

DF09 mentioned them 7 posts before yours. Saw them at a music festival in Charleston in 1997. Saw them at a music festival at the same venue in Charleston last month. Time slot on main stage between Deer Tick and Dawes (and a couple of Middle Brother reunions).

Jump Little Children was my first concert at Ziggy's (RIP)

There's a new documentary on Amazon streaming about Drivin 'N Cryin. It is pretty much all about why they didn't really get beyond regional popularity.

Back