• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

So…it’s not about the number of dead in the war?

We’re making progress.

Now…how should we consider today our extensive history of decidedly not treating people equally?

And…does institutionalized (also individual, even unconscious) bias exist today such that people aren’t treated equally? If so, how do we consider this and work towards the ideal?

Yep. Why are you so afraid?

he's afraid of admitting that there were systems in place that helped him as a white middle class man, and he might not be the boot straps pulling 100% self made success he envisions himself as.

For anyone who wants to play along at home

8-AD68344-8-A16-45-AF-A8-D8-3992544-B432-B.jpg

The lesson should be about treating people equally, regardless of their skin color. I hope everyone studies that very carefully.

Thanks to you guys, the Asian students need to study that lesson twice as hard, if it's going to be on the test that counts. Because of your heartfelt commitment and totally consistent commitment to equality, of course. Be sure and tell them why. Definitely use World War II as the reason. They'll love that.

As an advocate for Asian Americans, how would you describe the rise in anti-Asian bigotry and violence following Donald Trump's racist rhetoric about Covid-19?

The lesson should be about treating people equally, regardless of their skin color. I hope everyone studies that very carefully.

Thanks to you guys, the Asian students need to study that lesson twice as hard, if it's going to be on the test that counts. Because of your heartfelt commitment and totally consistent commitment to equality, of course. Be sure and tell them why. Definitely use World War II as the reason. They'll love that.

How can you discuss applying fairly regardless of race without explaining how it was actual done unfairly in real life? As in based on skin color?

And jh and junebug are definitely not the same person. jh has enough self-respect not to live in the greater greensboro area.

He just reflex posts at this point.

You are suggesting that teaching students that Black vets were discriminated against after WWII is a feature unique to CRT. The implication from that argument, in the context of this thread, is that that teaching would be barred by the so-called "anti-CRT" laws. That is fucking dumb. As I have pointed out--time and time again--the list of prohibitions in the laws is extremely narrow, and, more specifically, nothing in those laws would even remotely prohibit teaching students that Black vets were discrimination against after WWII.

How can you discuss applying fairly regardless of race without explaining how it was actual done unfairly in real life? As in based on skin color?

We don't have to settle for learning from the past. Your party wants to do it right now. As a matter of public policy in 2021.

This doesn’t seem like it should be that hard of an argument for Junebug to follow so I assume he understands and just doesn’t care.

You keep posting what the law actually does, the law is just smoke, the people making the law don’t need it to do anything, and the fact it doesn’t do anything is fine because they can just use the law to tell the rube army they are combatting CRT and stand with them. The rube army doesn’t care what the law says it helps to rile them up, attend 11 hour meetings, harass teachers, want body cams, and so forth. PH points out that because of the environment that has been created things like the inability of black soldiers to get GI bills may just not get said because what teacher wants to deal with the crazy.

For a comparison see all election frivolous lawsuit that everyone knew were going to get thrown out, used to rile up the rubes, leads to a certain environment where you have lawmakers quoted as saying they aren’t voting or speaking out on something because it’s not worth the backlash or threats.

Not to mention (again) that the initial government action, the one that fanned the spark Rufo sent into the conservative ether, was a directive to (successfully at least temporarily) ban diversity/inclusion training in federal agencies.

Here’s one informed (I think) lawyer’s take: A Lesson on Critical Race Theory

This doesn’t seem like it should be that hard of an argument for Junebug to follow so I assume he understands and just doesn’t care.

You keep posting what the law actually does, the law is just smoke, the people making the law don’t need it to do anything, and the fact it doesn’t do anything is fine because they can just use the law to tell the rube army they are combatting CRT and stand with them. The rube army doesn’t care what the law says it helps to rile them up, attend 11 hour meetings, harass teachers, want body cams, and so forth. PH points out that because of the environment that has been created things like the inability of black soldiers to get GI bills may just not get said because what teacher wants to deal with the crazy.

For a comparison see all election frivolous lawsuit that everyone knew were going to get thrown out, used to rile up the rubes, leads to a certain environment where you have lawmakers quoted as saying they aren’t voting or speaking out on something because it’s not worth the backlash or threats.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think "but rubes are going to misinterpret the law and complain1!1!!" is a good reason not to pass a law. It's just not even on the radar of good arguments to me. Rubes complain, the school board says "the law doesn't prohibit this," they rubes find some shitty lawyer to bring a shitty case, the board's insurance kicks in, the board hires a halfway decent lawyer who files a motion to dismiss, the judge grants it, and people stop misinterpreting the law.

If rubes are going to complain about the law, they are going to complain even if the law isn't enacted. The rube army doesn't need an anti-CRT law to mobilize. If they are going to complain about teaching students that Black WWII vets were discriminated against w/r/t the GI bill, the law won't help them.

Weird how he keeps pointing to one law in one state to represent every law in several states.

There is no reason to pass the laws, that’s the point. It’s like all the “election security” laws and lawsuits, they either are unnecessary because they are predicated on falsehoods or are just an excuse to keep feeding the outrage to create a narrative and environment.

There is no reason to pass the laws, that’s the point. It’s like all the “election security” laws and lawsuits, they either are unnecessary because they are predicated on falsehoods or are just an excuse to keep feeding the outrage to create a narrative and environment.

Don't forget transgender kids playing sports. There is no reason behind any GOP policy push, except to blow tiny problems out of proportion, rile up the rubes and get donations to their PACs.

For anyone who wants to play along at home

8-AD68344-8-A16-45-AF-A8-D8-3992544-B432-B.jpg

Having a free square is completely antithetical to jhmd's beliefs. A "free" anything only discourages hard work and leads one on the dangerous path to dependency and welfare.

Replace it with a Dem mayor reference. Remember guys, southside Chicago is just a GOP mayor away from becoming the land of milk and honey.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think "but rubes are going to misinterpret the law and complain1!1!!" is a good reason not to pass a law. It's just not even on the radar of good arguments to me. Rubes complain, the school board says "the law doesn't prohibit this," they rubes find some shitty lawyer to bring a shitty case, the board's insurance kicks in, the board hires a halfway decent lawyer who files a motion to dismiss, the judge grants it, and people stop misinterpreting the law.

If rubes are going to complain about the law, they are going to complain even if the law isn't enacted. The rube army doesn't need an anti-CRT law to mobilize. If they are going to complain about teaching students that Black WWII vets were discriminated against w/r/t the GI bill, the law won't help them.

Rubes misinterpreting the law based on GOP misinformation was the entire basis for the anti-ACA fervor that culminated in a 0-3 SCOTUS record. The thing is, the GOP politicians don't actually give the tiniest shit about any of these "issues"... they are just trying to get money out of the hands of donors and they've learned that the easiest way to do that is drumming up fake scary issues like immigrant caravans, and CRT.

Back