• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

I don't really see any reason to be mad at Newman. Would he have given us a better chance next year? Most likely. But for all we know it was a coinflip between whether to lose Hartman to transfer or keep Newman. We'll likely never have all the facts, but I'm glad Claw put us in a position that seems like a win/win.

What? I think we do know. Why would Hartman transfer?

Bottom line is Newman feels he has more to offer than what an RPO offense gives him. He is also almost expected to bull his way through linebackers we he runs, which we would not expect from any other QB. that said if you want to showcase your passing talent it benefits you to move to a different offense that you are less likely to get injured in. Overall it seems like a good decision for Jamie and that's whats really important here. Hate to see him go but it's probably a win win for both sides.

Bottom line is Newman feels he has more to offer than what an RPO offense gives him. He is also almost expected to bull his way through linebackers we he runs, which we would not expect from any other QB. that said if you want to showcase your passing talent it benefits you to move to a different offense that you are less likely to get injured in. Overall it seems like a good decision for Jamie and that's whats really important here. Hate to see him go but it's probably a win win for both sides.

I fully anticipate wherever he lands, if he’s a starter, that he will be running the ball a lot. And would not be surprised to see the RPO.

Considering there are at least a dozen duel threat QBs in the NFL this line of argument seems somewhat ridiculous. In addition why perpetuate the lie Newman could not make the NFL finishing at Wake. You could easily make the case it was the surest way to make it. And what coaching staff got a young prospect at his current standing? The Wake Forest coaching staff. So why would we allow another staff to take any credit for his one year performance when they had little to do with it. It's bullshit.

I fully anticipate wherever he lands, if he’s a starter, that he will be running the ball a lot. And would not be surprised to see the RPO.

This is true but I am quite sure the OL at Ga will be much better than our OL next year and he will stay upright more in the pocket

He is not expected to bull through linebackers. He is expected to make a good read out of the RPO. That could also mean giving the ball to a run, like Cade, who, in turn, could bull through an LB, or, he can pass the ball very quickly the way John and Sam did/do.

He is not expected to bull through linebackers. He is expected to make a good read out of the RPO. That could also mean giving the ball to a run, like Cade, who, in turn, could bull through an LB, or, he can pass the ball very quickly the way John and Sam did/do.

Yes. This really should be emphasized more. If the read is, there is a linebacker cheating up to stop me, then I distribute the ball elsewhere.

The ball will be out quicker next year and Hartman won’t run it as often as Newman did

Clawson was very explicit in presssers that after the WR injuries they adjusted the offense (smartly, imo) to feature more Newman QB runs.

Clawson was very explicit in presssers that after the WR injuries they adjusted the offense (smartly, imo) to feature more Newman QB runs.

Not going to argue with that but Newman ran it 21 times at BC with a healthy Surratt

The last three Heisman winners have been quarterbacks who transferred.

Now it it time for Jamie Newman.

Yes. This really should be emphasized more. If the read is, there is a linebacker cheating up to stop me, then I distribute the ball elsewhere.

The ball will be out quicker next year and Hartman won’t run it as often as Newman did

This is not accurate, though. It seems that the term RPO has been twisted to mean that the QB becomes an omnificent ruler of the offense, but in reality he’s usually going to have a single read at the snap which the rest of the play is designed to optimize.

Hartman may have learned over the past year or so, but in 2018, he ran the ball a shit-ton out of the RPO. There were tons of complaints about that.

Considering there are at least a dozen duel threat QBs in the NFL this line of argument seems somewhat ridiculous. In addition why perpetuate the lie Newman could not make the NFL finishing at Wake. You could easily make the case it was the surest way to make it. And what coaching staff got a young prospect at his current standing? The Wake Forest coaching staff. So why would we allow another staff to take any credit for his one year performance when they had little to do with it. It's bullshit.

There are duel threat QBs in the Nfl. I don't think there's any system in the NFL that asks a QB to do what our system does, though. You're right, though. He could've made the league playing here.

In 2018 Hartman attempted 291 passes and ran the ball 107 times. He ran 26.9% of the time he did not hand it off
In 2018 Newman attempted 141 passes and ran the ball 64 times. He ran 31.2% of the time he did not hand it off

For 2019, Hartman was 21.8%, Newman 33.3%. Understand the 2019 numbers are skewed a bit by a smaller sample for Hartman whose UL game was primarily catch up mode. Still the numbers suggest Newman running it more than Hartman

Definitely some revisionist history on Hartman’s freshman year. The number one complaint was his reads on RPO. And agree that this year’s percentages aren’t really instructive due to him playing from behind primarily.

I’ve got high hopes for him since most true freshman QBs are terrible and he was average but let’s not get crazy.

Back