• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

There are duel threat QBs in the Nfl. I don't think there's any system in the NFL that asks a QB to do what our system does, though. You're right, though. He could've made the league playing here.

He isn't as good running the ball as those dual threat NFL QBs though. He isn't as elusive or fast as Lamar Jackson or Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers or DeShaun Watson, and doesn't have the same size/speed combo as Cam. He is more like Jameis or Josh Allen or Roethlisburger who can run through a hole for a few yards if designed run blocking is there or if the defense has its back turned, but I don't think NFL teams would really view him as a dual threat QB they way they exist in the NFL. If he is going to make the NFL it is going to be because of his throws like those guys, so I get why he doesn't want to run a delayed RPO all game in his showcase year. It just forces NFL teams to try to guess how his skills translate to a pro style offense, which they often don't have much patience for especially if he is hoping to be an early round pick. If he stays at Wake and has a great year running the delayed RPO with Surratt and Greene also getting attention he likely tops out at a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If he goes to Georgia or Oregon and has the same year running a more traditional offense then he is a 1st round pick.

Aaron Rodgers ran a 4.75 at the combine. I'd be surprised if he ran a sub 4.9 at this point. Newman undoubtedly is faster. Maybe not as elusive in the pocket, though.

classic 2&2 designating Jameis and Josh Allen as comps

Jameis, who led the league in pass attempts, pass yards, interceptions, and second in TDs, while Josh Allen, who is not top 20 in attempts, yards, or TDs

meanwhile, Allen has more rushing yards in two seasons than Jameis in his five-year career

Yet Jameis was considered a dual-threat QB coming out of HS by Rivals.

Then he got fat from eating a bunch of crab legs.

2EOSNYBPB5BD3PIPQANTS6244Q.jpg

Hartman's issue his frosh year was that after he got hit hard, he had dancers feet in the pocket and even on the quick RPO read throws. That only happened against superior defenses so essentially he was lights out against teams we should beat and flustered against teams we were dogs. That, in a nutshell, was Hartman's frosh year.

He's had the benefit of training and working with Newman and learning from his successes and mistakes (hopefully). I expect him to lose the dancers feet. I still think he'll make a few more mistakes per game than Newman, but that is because he takes more chances. Our offense will trend more dynamic, particularly if we throw in a few wrinkles. One of the unfortuante bummers with an RPO offense is that it is hard to get a RB screen to work if defenders aren't bum rushing the QB. Sage and Chapman are such good blockers and both RB catch well - that a screen could work situationaly. But it could also get blown up by a DE and LB who don't budge on the snap.

classic 2&2 designating Jameis and Josh Allen as comps

Jameis, who led the league in pass attempts, pass yards, interceptions, and second in TDs, while Josh Allen, who is not top 20 in attempts, yards, or TDs

meanwhile, Allen has more rushing yards in two seasons than Jameis in his five-year career

They are similar QBs with regard to skillset, however they are used in completely different ways by their respective teams. But stat away, of course.

Considering there are at least a dozen duel threat QBs in the NFL this line of argument seems somewhat ridiculous. In addition why perpetuate the lie Newman could not make the NFL finishing at Wake. You could easily make the case it was the surest way to make it. And what coaching staff got a young prospect at his current standing? The Wake Forest coaching staff. So why would we allow another staff to take any credit for his one year performance when they had little to do with it. It's bullshit.

Sure is.

UGA over Oregon is a dumb choice. At ORE he would be throwing all over the place. At UGA he will be asked to hand off to their never-ending stable of 5* running backs.

Eason and Fields will be drafted higher than Fromm. That is all you need to know.

Definitely some revisionist history on Hartman’s freshman year. The number one complaint was his reads on RPO. And agree that this year’s percentages aren’t really instructive due to him playing from behind primarily.

I’ve got high hopes for him since most true freshman QBs are terrible and he was average but let’s not get crazy.

Yeah, Hartman was “fine” as a true frosh.

They are similar QBs with regard to skillset, however they are used in completely different ways by their respective teams. But stat away, of course.

Jameis barely got under 5 seconds on his combine 40 time and no way has he gotten faster

Allen is a top-5 rusher at QB

Definitely some revisionist history on Hartman’s freshman year. The number one complaint was his reads on RPO. And agree that this year’s percentages aren’t really instructive due to him playing from behind primarily.

I’ve got high hopes for him since most true freshman QBs are terrible and he was average but let’s not get crazy.

yeah, definitely revisionist history to objectively review stats

much better to rely on 15-month-old recollections of message board posters

UGA over Oregon is a dumb choice. At ORE he would be throwing all over the place. At UGA he will be asked to hand off to their never-ending stable of 5* running backs.

Eason and Fields will be drafted higher than Fromm. That is all you need to know.

Oregon lost their Offensive Coordinator. Right now, if you pick Oregon, you have no idea what offense you will be running. Oregon = unknown (i.e., dumb choice).

Oregon lost their Offensive Coordinator. Right now, if you pick Oregon, you have no idea what offense you will be running. Oregon = unknown (i.e., dumb choice).

Going to an Oregon team without an offensive coordinator would be a risk. The new O coordinator could come in, see a seasoned RPO QB and choose to go with an RPO based offense. And Jamie would be in the same situation.

yeah, definitely revisionist history to objectively review stats

much better to rely on 15-month-old recollections of message board posters

Pretty weak stats though. We definitely ran a lot more designed QB runs for Newman that should not be included in the discussion on whether or not he called his own number when making an RPO read.

Jameis is a fat fuck and literally waddles when he runs.

My boy Sam Darnold is also a big waddler. Always runs like his pants are way too small (and he has like 15 pair layered on at the same time).

Not sure if there is a correlation between waddling and being a good NFL QB. Someone (not me) should do a definitive study on this.

Back