• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Coach

Can someone summarize the appeal of Groce?

And no, I haven't seen Ohio play. I know they beat a flawed Georgetown team in the tourney a few years ago. That's it.

the last thing I want to see is Chill or Rusty getting skewered by the fanbase.

I've kept tabs on Rusty since he graduated. I like him as an assistant because of his clout as a "deacon who made it," but damn was he an awful coach, both in terms of player development and game-management. For starters, Tyler Lewis played a few years under him and looked much better after the fact... Again, I like Rusty as a recruiter, mentor, and a hype-man, but less so as a coach, especially the HC of a young team.

Can someone summarize the appeal of Groce?

And no, I haven't seen Ohio play. I know they beat a flawed Georgetown team in the tourney a few years ago. That's it.

Groce is an overachieving mid-major coach. Not sure he's as good as advertised, but his recruiting record is pretty miserable... We can do better. Even Brad Brownell had a better track record.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Sydney Johnson at Fairfield. He's a rising star, of sorts, in the coaching world. Very young, but has an excellent reputation already and his teams look well prepared and disciplined. Recruiting is unknown due to his Ivy background, but he's looked solid over the last three years.

My dream list (in order of preference):
1. Brad Stevens (HC Butler)
2. Shaka Smart (HC VCU)
3. Jeff Capel (AC Duke)
4. Sydney Johnson (HC Fairfield)
5. Jeff Battle (I like him a hell of a lot better than Bz and Rusty, for starters)
6. Mike Dunlap (AC St. John's)

Last edited:
the last thing I want to see is Chill or Rusty getting skewered by the fanbase.

I'd hate to see them fail and need to be replaced, but screw them if they actually get in the way of the success of Wake Forest basketball.

I think people wouldn't be as hard on a coach who is young and has the possibility of potential. Brad Stevens is the best coach in the country, and he would be a perfect fit at Wake.

Realistically, call VCU's AD ask to speak to Smart then ask who they would hire if Smart left. Then hire that guy.

No dog in this fight, but it is very hard for a coach to be successfull at his alma mater. Gary Williams has been mentioned as one of the few that pulled it off.

I think people wouldn't be as hard on a coach who is young and has the possibility of potential. Brad Stevens is the best coach in the country, and he would be a perfect fit at Wake.

Realistically, call VCU's AD ask to speak to Smart then ask who they would hire if Smart left. Then hire that guy.

I don't know how successful that would be considering VCU has been hiring in-house since they moved to the CAA: Capel, Grant, and Smart.

Or just hire Smart, cause he's bad ass.

I don't know how successful that would be considering VCU has been hiring in-house since they moved to the CAA: Capel, Grant, and Smart.

So hire Smart's best assistant.

And I would take every single one of those guys every day of the week. They have best assistant coaches in basketball.

Am I missing something, or.does Chill have zero experience coaching anything or anyone? Are people seriously wanting him as our next HC?

Just because you're a BAMF of a player with huge steely brass balls, doesn't mean you're qualified to be a D1 head coach.

Smart wasn't in-house was he? Thought he went from Clemson to Florida, then to VCU?

If given a chance of those three, who would you want?

I'd take Smart and then Capel. All indications are that VCU's AD let Grant go/didn't overpay him because he thought Smart would be better.

Of their current assistants? Will Wade has some ACC experience at Clemson, recruited well at Richmond, and has obviously done a solid job at VCU. That being said, we could do better...

Smart wasn't in-house was he? Thought he went from Clemson to Florida, then to VCU?

You're right. Sorry about that. Just looked up Smart's bio and DAMN is that man qualified. We'd be truly lucky to have him.

Am I missing something, or.does Chill have zero experience coaching anything or anyone? Are people seriously wanting him as our next HC?

Just because you're a BAMF of a player with huge steely brass balls, doesn't mean you're qualified to be a D1 head coach.

Too many Wake fans would take feeling good about Wake athletics than Wake athletics actually being good. Chill as head coach would make them feel good.

Mark Few.

Long time, no see. I'd rank him below Sydney Johnson on my list. Not sure he's got any sort of recruiting clout on the east coast and his last few years have been mediocre from a coaching standpoint, despite arguably his best ranked classes in years.

1) Wes Miller
2) Pat Kelsey

Laugh if you want but those are my choices.

Back