• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

buckets

#1 Bald Hero
Reaction score
I do believe that we will be in the market for a new basketball coach in April. Might as well start here to track potential candidates (will need some of the smarter people like apetit to weigh in on up and comers):

Brad Stevens, Butler
Shaka Smart, VCU
Chris Mooney, Richmond

I submit...
Dave Paulsen, HC at Bucknell
Archie Miller, Dayton (I know, I know...)
Wes Miller, UNCG (sentimental pick)

Who else is out there? Who are the hot up and coming assistants?

Is there any chance we could pry Anthony Grant away from Alabama?

Edited to add: Ouch. Just checked and he apparently makes $1.8M per year at Bama

So much of who is a legitimate target depends on who is making the hire. I truly wonder if Wellman will be able to do it solo this time around or if the BoT and Hatch force a committee/search firm into the process.

History says it will be a relatively successful, middle-aged mid-major white guy.

It's too early to say who will be viable head coach candidates for us come March, 2014 or 2015.

I mean this in all sincerity, but who the fuck would want to come be a part of this athletic department? Maybe if they send Wellman packing and bring in someone with a pair of balls, it'll be a little bit more attractive...

Is there any chance we could pry Anthony Grant away from Alabama?

Edited to add: Ouch. Just checked and he apparently makes $1.8M per year at Bama

Yeah, we may have had a legit chance at him when we hired Dino but probably not anymore. I doubt we get any coach from a major conference.

So much of who is a legitimate target depends on who is making the hire. I truly wonder if Wellman will be able to do it solo this time around or if the BoT and Hatch force a committee/search firm into the process.

History says it will be a relatively successful, middle-aged mid-major white guy.

Not sure where he would fall on my list of choices, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wake look at Greg McDermott at Creighton. He seems to fit the historical mold of what Wake/Wellman looks for....

Not going to happen guys. RW will not admit he made a huge mistake. Buzz is here for at least three more years

I do believe that we will be in the market for a new basketball coach in April. Might as well start here to track potential candidates (will need some of the smarter people like apetit to weigh in on up and comers):

Brad Stevens, Butler
Shaka Smart, VCU
Chris Mooney, Richmond

I submit...
Dave Paulsen, HC at Bucknell
Archie Miller, Dayton (I know, I know...)
Wes Miller, UNCG (sentimental pick)

Who else is out there? Who are the hot up and coming assistants?

Gregg Marshall. Marshall, Stevens, or Smart.

Not sure where he would fall on my list of choices, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wake look at Greg McDermott at Creighton. He seems to fit the historical mold of what Wake/Wellman looks for....

Only if he has another son waiting in the wings to come with him. McDermott is good but his son is a really good player and has no business playing at Creighton aside from playing for his dad.

Not going to happen guys. RW will not admit he made a huge mistake. Buzz is here for at least three more years

I think its a foregone conclusion Bz is gone after this season. Too much damage has been done. Wellman might want to be proven right on Bz but he values his job and legacy more than being right.

Wait. The bigger question is whether we'd include a $10,000+ clothing allowance to Shaka? He currently has that at VCU. Along with $1.36 Million. That's nothing for RW to throw at a coach.

I really can't imagine that being the case. I would like to hope that [Redacted] would be gone after this season, but I would not at all be surprised if he were back for one more. However, I don't think there is any way imaginable that [Redacted] makes it to year 5 without significant improvement next season.

Please no. If mid majors can find young guys like Stevens and Smart - why can't we? We need to go for the home run like Duke did with K. I'm on board with Wes Miller or anyone like that. I don't care if he lacks experience if he has drive, charisma and some basketball smarts. Having a past association with the school like Miller is another plus.

Whoever the head coach of Illinois-Chicago is. They can beat Mercer by 26. We can only beat them by 3.

Back