• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball on an aircraft carrier?!

Ok you can delete the thread now. I'm sorry. I don't hate America or veterans. I do hate Carolina which isn't the point. I also was unaware that this was a fundraiser of sorts.

Michigan State must need publicity, because they are all about some Basketball spectacle. They put on "Basketbowl" 1 & 2 with UK in 2003, and UNC in 2008. The first Basketbowl was at Ford Field and set the basketball attendance record at 78,129.

If it rains, it's going to change everything. The stadium on the deck was built to accommodate the 7,000 guests. However, if it rains, they will have to play the game under deck in a room that is big enough for the teams to play, but not anywhere near big enough for all those fans with tickets to watch. Also not sure how well the tv crew would be able to handle the move.

If it rains, it's going to change everything. The stadium on the deck was built to accommodate the 7,000 guests. However, if it rains, they will have to play the game under deck in a room that is big enough for the teams to play, but not anywhere near big enough for all those fans with tickets to watch. Also not sure how well the tv crew would be able to handle the move.

Below deck on an air craft carrier is huge. I'm not sure how they would move the stands but they could fit 7,000 down there.

Its being played on the Carl Vinson, the ship that dropped Bin Laden's body off at sea

It will be a shame when this game isn't played outdoors... I'm guessing they'll find a way to accommodate all of the military slated to attend.

I think the simple answer is to sail that thing out to sea with everyone on board & find some breaks in the clouds.

I want to say the hanger deck will only hold around 4k (leaving 3k to watch on a big screen somewhere)

behind the scenes video if anyone is interested
http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/carrier-classic.html

only a slight chance of rain right now, but a storm is coming in that will likely bring some wind gusts.

hanger deck
carrier_gallery_004_t620x349.jpg

Last edited:
Rain in San Diego on the night UNC is scheduled to play outside? And people really wonder whether there's a God? :dancindeac:

This from one of our thread on this subject:

There was a discussion on the radio in Raleigh this AM about the game and whether or not the flight deck, where the game is to be played, was holy ground... kid you not. The USS Carl Vinson, which is hosting the game, was the same carrier used for Bin Laden's burial at sea. Guess USA Today has been looking into the religious sensitivity angle for the game

If they play it outside and its a little windy it could be very interesting to watch. Might take away the three point shot for both teams. Could be fun.

Not sure what the big deal is, aside from the raising money for vets. Wide World of Sports used to broadcast Globetrotter games from the deck of carriers back in the '60s.

Not a new concept.

There should be real consequences for losing....like being buried at sea....

I could drive down and ref...

Back