• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

yeah from clips i've seen, he seems to be a poor man's eric williams/sean may (i.e. big man with soft hands that plays below the rim for the most part)

don't think unc will offer meeks. Would obviously help wake's chances, though I don't know who else is recruiting him

I don't know about his interest level, but I was fairly unimpressed when I saw him in December. He was definitely not 5* material (this is when he was a top 5/10 player). Still, he's a big body with soft hands and I'd love him at Wake. I doubt the big boys get involved, but I could be wrong.

I've never been impressed. I don't see the hype. He'd be an upgrade for us, of course, but he's not a top 25 player in my largely uneducated opinion.

I'm going to update it all after the college and high school seasons. Not much is happening with recruiting right now. Not many players want to commit in season, and coaches are focused on their current teams anyway.

From everything I've heard and read, we're going after a wing shooter (preferably 6'4+) with our 1 open scholarship, and Davon Reed and Stanford Robinson are the top 2 choices. We'll take a big with the 2nd scholarship assuming it opens (i.e assuming someone transfers).

Thanks for the update. Wing shooter and big man are the two obvious needs but I'm not sure why a big isn't our top priority.

Wake is going first and foremost for a relatively tall (compared to his position) shooter. It's what these teams are missing.

Also the Carolina Challenge is on March 24th at Ravenscroft and BSD will be on-site to provide coverage of players. Hopefully we can get some insight through interviews and just watching a lot of these guys play against good competition.

I'd be more excited about the CC if we were recruiting any NC players for 2013. I'll probably be there anyway though. Hopefully the Martin twins play well, haven't heard a lot about them lately although one of them was hurt for a while I think. Always fun to see that much talent in one gym though.

I'd be more excited about the CC if we were recruiting any NC players for 2013. I'll probably be there anyway though. Hopefully the Martin twins play well, haven't heard a lot about them lately although one of them was hurt for a while I think. Always fun to see that much talent in one gym though.

I agree that I'd be more excited for it, but I'm not missing out on great basketball just because we aren't in the running for most people. The game also features guys up to the class of (what is it now...) 2015?, so even if we aren't recruiting them now we'll have at least some sort of baseline if their names are mentioned again.

I agree with TITSWF...but there are going to be some future ACC players from the class of 2014 at the Challenge. Wake's current plan includes taking a PG that year, so I'd definitely watch Shelton Mitchell and Eric Johnson.

He is awesome. I might like him more than Pinson.

2012 Commits Playoffs Update

Cavanaugh:

Jamesville-Dewitt is the #1 seed in the sectional tournament. Won the quarterfinal on Friday night. Here's a blurb:

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The J-D boys basketball team opened its run at an unprecedented fifth consecutive state championship with an 81-56 win over 9th-seed Whitesboro Friday night.
The Red Rams ran out to a 10-nothing lead with senior Tyler Cavanaugh scoring the first eight points of the game. Cavanaugh came into the game 12 points shy of 1,000 for his career and took care of that with 14 first-quarter points.
Cavanaugh finished with a game-high 32 points while Dajuan Coleman added 17 and 12 rebounds as the Red Rams moved into the sectional semifinal round next week.

Video with some Cav highlights and praise.

Thomas:

Central Dauphin is the #1 seed in the district tournament. Currently in the quarterfinals.

District Tournament Preview

Rountree:

Greenfield is the #1 seed in the state tournament (NC 1A). Link

Round of 16 is tomorrow.

Moto:

Episcopal dropped from 7th to 11th in the DC area rankings created by the Washington Post, after they were upset in the semis by 2 points on Friday. Moto had 22 in the 59-57 loss. Really too bad, since they had already beaten the team they would have played in the finals 3 times this year.

Last edited:
Good stuff, thanks stonz.

Looks like Cav's team is going to coast to another championship. Good to see him stepping up at the end of the season.

Also impressive that Dev's next rebound will be his 1,000th. That's a lot of boards.

Back