• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Scout has some video from Cav's game in the Carrier Dome. Cav appears to be taller than Coleman. Stroke from deep looks nice, will struggle to score in the paint. Plays far below the rim. I'm thinking a poor man's Ryan Kelly.

Scout has some video from Cav's game in the Carrier Dome. Cav appears to be taller than Coleman. Stroke from deep looks nice, will struggle to score in the paint. Plays far below the rim. I'm thinking a poor man's Ryan Kelly.

Agreed. I was a little disappointed in that. Part of it seems to stem from him not going up strong and fully extending himself. Hopefully some lower body strength will fix some of that.

If he can play defense and rebound though, I won't care too much if he can't score with authority in close He'll find other ways to score, and if he's a satisfactory passer then he's an asset to the offense.

Cav is much longer than I thought he was, but he's also a little leaner than I thought. I had him in my mind as a somewhat stocky 6'8", but he looks like he could be all of 6'9" in the video and he certainly isn't stocky.

Cav is much longer than I thought he was, but he's also a little leaner than I thought. I had him in my mind as a somewhat stocky 6'8", but he looks like he could be all of 6'9" in the video and he certainly isn't stocky.

Yeah, he's alot thinner than I thought he was.

Unlike Carson, Walker and Rountree, he does seem to have the frame to bulk up though.

Agreed. Wide shoulders.

I think Washington's frame is better than Walker's and Carson's though. Carson and Walker both have unusually narrow shoulders. Green is the same way. Washington has a better frame, I think, but he's just so damn skinny.

I'm not worried about Rountree's build right now. I can't see him ever banging around inside. He just needs a consistent jump shot more than he needs a workout plan.

I am absolutely not worried about Cav not being able to score in the paint. I was under the impression that most people are worried about our paint presence mainly because we literally have NOBODY who can shoot from beyond the arc except CJ when he's hot and Carson. All teams have to defend against us is in the paint. Spreading it out will help in a lot of ways.

Next year we will have Moto, CMM, and Cav... and I have high hopes for all of their shooting abilities.

Plus, our other recruits have more than shown they can take it in close. (Devin Thomas mainly.)

Last edited:
Agreed. Wide shoulders.

I think Washington's frame is better than Walker's and Carson's though. Carson and Walker both have unusually narrow shoulders. Green is the same way. Washington has a better frame, I think, but he's just so damn skinny.

I'm not worried about Rountree's build right now. I can't see him ever banging around inside. He just needs a consistent jump shot more than he needs a workout plan.

I think Washington is sorely underrated... If [Redacted] ends up being a better coach than everyone in the world thinks he is and actually manages to teach Andre some things, I think we can see a hell of an athlete emerge from him once he gets a season or two in the weight room. From what I hear, Andre has a HELL of a work ethic.

I am absolutely not worried about Cav not being able to score in the paint. I was under the impression that most people are worried about our paint presence mainly because we literally have NOBODY who can shoot from beyond the arc except CJ when he's hot and Carson. All teams have to defend against us is in the paint. Spreading it out will help in a lot of ways.

Next year we will have Moto, CMM, and Cav... and I have high hopes for all of their shooting abilities.

Plus, our other recruits have more than shown they can take it in close. (Devin Thomas mainly.)

1) No, that is not why people are worried about our paint presence.

2) Ease up on your Moto shooting expectations. You're going to be disappointed.

I think Washington is sorely underrated... If [Redacted] ends up being a better coach than everyone in the world thinks he is and actually manages to teach Andre some things, I think we can see a hell of an athlete emerge from him once he gets a season or two in the weight room. From what I hear, Andre has a HELL of a work ethic.

3) Hope you are right, but I really, really doubt it. Hard to be underrated when you don't play a lot on your HS team. He's got a long way to go to get to the point where he can be a solid contributor. He's in the Daniel Green boat.

Does he have lift on his jump shot? Quick release? Will he be able to get his shot off?

Off topic, but did you all know that Ryan Kelly is 6'11? He doesn't play nearly that big.

I knew he was listed that big and he seems that tall....but plays soft...

Last edited:
I don't know if he has much lift to his shot but if he's 6'8" then shouldn't have too much problem getting off perimeter shots simply because his defender playing the 4 spot will be used to sagging in the lane. If they do play him honest and follow him out to the three point line then that will just open up things for everything else. So yea I think he could be a poor man's Ryan Kelly for us which I would love.. Kelly adds so much to Duke's offense. But I do think Cav will struggle down low and on the glass

Does he have lift on his jump shot? Quick release? Will he be able to get his shot off?

Not a super quick release, but his jump shot looks good. At 6'9", he doesn't need to be Ray Allen.

He kind of reminds of every big Wisconsin dude over the past 5-6 years. Good frame, can shoot it from outside, but plays below the rim.

Sounds kind of like Matt Howard (Butler) without the physicality and/or banger's mentality.

Scott Wood is a guard and only shoots threes. Cav is nowhere close to a guard. Poor man's Ryan Kelly is the best I comparison I can come up with.

It looks like he likes to play D.

He has great vision in the open court. He could get CJ a lot of easy threes.

He needs to work a little on his left on drives. He seems to go left turn his back and puts it up right handed.

I know he's not ever playing PG but it honestly looks like he has better vision and natural passing ability than both our current PGs. Definitely his strongest skill.

Back