• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

As some of you enterprising gurus have noticed, DeaconKing hasn't posted in a while. This is because DeaconKing has moved on to other things in his/her life, and I'd anticipate him (or her????) not returning for a while, if ever. (Okay, okay. Moonzzz killed him/her). We are actively looking for a replacement, which isn't the easiest task in the world, but we have some promising candidates.

In the meantime, the BSD crew seems to be on top of things, and we are most appreciative of their continued efforts over here. Hugs! Oh, and check the Twitter machine. I hear it's killing off the Premium info model or something.

Can anyone explain why Terry Henderson gets no hype?

Some questions

While the Kansas offer isn't exactly the kiss of death purported by many (they always have a glut of guards replete with transfer and chemistry issue rumors), it seems like White is off of the table. Is this a fair assumption?

How outside is our shot with Layman?

Does anybody close to the situation know where we stand with Moto? It's been awhile since we had an update...

Also, has there been any update with Zena?

What's up with Zach Auguste? I saw him play a few times over the summer and he's really solid. He's more Jank than Zena/Devin, but he could develop into a solid ACC player.

Maryland is looking to address their void at Center and this guy could be the answer as soon as this season. I am impressed they are not standing pat and accepting a bottom three or four position in the ACC.

Alex Len

http://zagsblog.com/

Last edited:
Turgeon is doing a very good job recruiting. Granted, Cleare was on his former-home-turf, but still... Not sure this new kid is as good as advertised, but solid and creative pick-up, nonetheless.

I guess to deaclite getting the #18 recruiting class in the nation is standing pat for the Deacs.

If we get one or more of the remaining players we're after, it's likely we'll be in the Top 15 classes.

Jank doesn't fit Boeheim's offense or defense. Historically his big guys are bruisers who stay low.

The point is that we've needed big men for two seasons and still don't have one. Maryland lost J Williams but went and found this huge foreign guy before they played another game. I know nothing about him though, so it will be interesting to see if he can contribute immediately.

They were already recruiting this guy before they got a new coach or lost Williams.

We got one good big guy. We need another.

Unfortunately, I think it's more likely we move down than up in the rankings, unless we get a guy like Moto or White. Twenty of ESPN's top twenty-five players are currently uncommitted, and so a decent number of teams will get a major boost from those commits. Nine more of the guys 26-50 are uncommitted, as are nine others ranked 51-75. Our two ostensibly most likely commits (Jank and Thomas) are outside the top 100 and probably wouldn't help us all that much from a rankings standpoint.

For comparison's sake, we finished 12th in their rankings in 2010 with their #49, #60, #64, and #74 ranked players, and a 90-rated 3-star. Right now we have their #81 player and two three-stars rated 90 and 89. While the ESPN rankings don't go back to 2006, we finished 18th in Scout's rankings that year, with three of their top 100 players (#54, #58, and #92) and three 3-star players. Based purely on the rankings, those two classes are clearly better than we can expect this one to be.* Expecting it to be top-15 is overly optimistic, IMO. I would expect it to end up somewhere around 22nd.

*"Based purely on the rankings" means that I am in no way, shape, or form expressing a belief that the 2006 or 2010 will prove to be better than the 2012 class on the court.

Last edited:
rj, you crack me up. It will be important to see where we stand relative to the other ACC teams. Having the fifth or sixth best class is not going to move us up much. Also, if we get five players with CMM the highest ranked that is not going to do the job-either.

Where we stand relative to the other ACC schools:

Duke -better
Carowhina- better
MD- better
UVA-better but we could catch up
State- we're better
VT -We're better
GT- we're better
Miami- We're better
Clemson -we're better
F$U- we're better
BC- we're better

I know you want us to be worse for buzzout, but this is the current reality.

I don't have a personal problem with Bz no matter how many times you say so. If he can get us to a top 25 program and top 5 in the ACC, I can stand his dour personality. The problem is we are on a slow road to nowhere at this point. I'M more concerned about VaT's 2011 class than I am about 2012 classes in a vacuum. I am concerned about roster talent and many of those schools you listed are well ahead of us.

Where we stand relative to the other ACC schools:

Duke -better
Carowhina- better
MD- better
UVA-better but we could catch up
State- we're better
VT -We're better
GT- we're better
Miami- We're better
Clemson -we're better
F$U- we're better
BC- we're better

I know you want us to be worse for buzzout, but this is the current reality.

Are you saying that we have a better recruiting class or a better team in this list?

It's abotu recruiting....the top 3 have better classes than us. We could catch UVA and the other seven teams haveweaker 2012 recruiting classes thna we do.

As of today, yes. The question is what happens as of signing day. If State gets Jefferson and Purvis (unlikely, but not completely out of the question), then they have a better class than us. If VT gets Moto, they have as good a class as we do right now.

We have a legit shot a 2 top 60 ish players in White and Moto. But our most likely gets seem to be Thomas and Jankovic. A class of our three current commits plus Thomas and Jankovic would barely be top 20 in the country and middle of the ACC.

I doubt Jefferson goes to State. With Goodman decommitting from Nova, I wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

If the Ukranian kid is nearly as good as promised, they are ahead of us. If they get Layman (probably favored), MD woudl have a top 5 class.

I feel confident we will get one of the Thomas/Zena combo.

If we were able to land Moto I don't see how anyone could complain about our 2012 class or say its not a big step in the right direction. That would be a pretty great 5 man class, especially considering the tremendous recruiting angst just 6 months ago.

And even without Moto, the 2012 class seems to be shaping up to be good at worst.

Back