• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Have to remember that 2 recent perenial top 25 teams will be joining the ACC too so there may be some subtraction by addition as well.

Some folks seem to believe that we headed to the first division next season with this recruiting class. If you look at the teams ranked ahead of us right now as md.,gat,ncst.clemson,miami all except clemson should be better in 2012 as should we. As far as Pitt and Syracuse goes their recruiting is excellent and they will give Duke and Unc a run for their money whenever they are allowed to join the ACC.

Why should Maryland, Georgia Tech, NC State, Clemson, and Miami be better than us in 2012?

Maryland is going to have some more young talent, but they're going to be the same team (and by that I mean they're going to be pretty crappy unless you're a sucker enough to believe this Alex Len hype).

NC State has players, but Gottfried is still unproven and State has squandered elite talent consistently for the past five years...

Brian Gregory was a really bad coach at Dayton, considering what he had, and I don't know how much of that changes with the talent he inherits (who will likely take exception to his NHL-style substitution habits and his team-first, stats-second approach).

Larranga is a good coach, but Miami doesn't have much that impresses me in 2011 or 2012, even including Durand Scott and Reggie Johnson (let's see him rebound from this injury, no pun intended).

And Clemson... c'mon.

I'm also holding my breath on VT and UVA. I know Bennett can coach, but nothing on the UVA roster (outside of KT Harrell, who is really just like a 6'4 CJ) convinces me they'll be challenging UNC until 2013 at the earliest. With VT, I'll believe it when I see it. Call it dumb luck, but Seth Greenberg hasn't had an NCAA Tournament run yet despite a lot of talent going through Blacksburg.

North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh will be the cream of the crop, but there is no reason why we can't break through (I'm giving Bzz a benefit of the doubt that he hasn't remotely earned, but whatever) the rest of the ACC and given what our roster will look like in 2012-2013...

Last edited:
33, I said parity was the storyline but if Miami has R Johnson and D.Scott go to the Nba they might drop but they have two transfers in McDonald plus Kadji and S.Larkin sitting out. Also, JGamble and DJones are expected back. 33 if want to discuss each roster in detail that is fine with me. However, claiming Coach Bz is going to outcoach these bums is silly.

NC State has players, but Gottfried is still unproven and State has squandered elite talent consistently for the past five years...

I really don't want to turn it in that kind of thread, but seriously?!?!

Also, for what it's worth, I think we will be middle of the pack in 2012-2013 (between 6th-8th in a 12 team ACC), but a weak OOC schedule and an unexplained loss or two will keep us out of the tournament.

More research indicates that S.Larkin gets to play this season starting tonight. Also our old friend, Konner Tucker has added a beard and 30 lbs as a 2g for Sam Houston St.

Last edited:
I really don't want to turn it in that kind of thread, but seriously?!?!

Also, for what it's worth, I think we will be middle of the pack in 2012-2013 (between 6th-8th in a 12 team ACC), but a weak OOC schedule and an unexplained loss or two will keep us out of the tournament.

No offense to your reading comprehension abilities intended, but can you please read what I wrote and respond to it instead of assuming everything is about Jeff [Redacted]?

I was responding to the claim that the ACC's second tier (NCSU, VT, UVA, GT, UMD, Clemson, Miami, and, hell, even FSU) is going to be unbeatable in 2012 and I stand by my response about Gottfried, Larranga, Brownell, Gregory, Greenberg, Turgeon, and Hamilton being far from sure things to compete with the likes of Roy, K, Boeheim, and Dixon.

Gottfried had a solid run from 2001-2006, but he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in his final four years at Alabama and we don't need to mention the reason why he was fired...

My point was simply to say that our depth chart is very solid in the 2012-2013 season and that we have a chance, too. Bz in or out of the equation.

PG: Codi (FR)/Tony (JR)/Anthony (SO)
SG: CJ (SR)/Chase (SO)/Aaron (FR)
SF: Travis (JR)/Arnaud (FR)
PF: Devin (FR)/Daniel (SO)/Tyler (FR)
C: Carson (JR)/Andre (FR)

1 SR, 2 JR, 3 SO, 6 FR

Last edited:
33, I said parity was the storyline but if Miami has R Johnson and D.Scott go to the Nba they might drop but they have two transfers in McDonald plus Kadji and S.Larkin sitting out. Also, JGamble and DJones are expected back. 33 if want to discuss each roster in detail that is fine with me. However, claiming Coach Bz is going to outcoach these bums is silly.

So, by 2012-2013 (which is the year that we're talking about), Gamble, Jones, and Malcolm Grant will have graduated. Grant is solid, but Gamble and Jones are hardly the kinds of players you hang your hat on (at this stage)...

If Reggie Johnson comes back from this injury and is able to assume the form he had before, then I'll eat crow. Until then, I'm a non-believer. Either way, I expect him to enter the Draft after this season.

Durand Scott is the only remotely sure thing on that roster in 2012-2013 and there's a decent chance that he'll enter Draft, too.

Miami's additions:

Kadji couldn't get off the bench for Florida. Even adjusted over 40 minutes and considering his freshman year when he got minutes, his production hardly guarantees anything but to suggest he was overrated in HS or that has a lot to do to achieve his potential.

Shane Larkin, a 5'11 combo-guard. Mid-major recruit, at best. I don't understand the infatuation, family ties aside.

Miami's recruiting makes Bz look better. I'll leave it at that.

33, I relish a breakdown of 2012 because this season starts tonight with real concern about whether we can beat the Loyola-Md team picked to finish 3rd in the Metro-Atlantic for goodness stakes. Miami will be a top 25 preseason team if Scott and Johnson return next season. Gamble is injured and will apply to return. Jones is suspended for the year for taking money from the football booster. Coach Larranga has been bragging about Larkin we'll see starting tonight.

As far as our roster, we have two Acc caliber players and 5 returnees that haven't yet t proven themselves. Then add 6 freshmen with only 3 physically mature enough to compete in Moto,Thomas and CMM. That does not add up to jumping over 5 ACC teams that are better than us now and have another year to recruit good players while we are done.

33, I relish a breakdown of 2012 because this season starts tonight with real concern about whether we can beat the Loyola-Md team picked to finish 3rd in the Metro-Atlantic for goodness stakes.

The season starts tonight, but that doesn't change the fact that you were responding to my post, which was talking about 2012-2013.

If you'd like to talk 2011-2012, then that's fine, but too much stuff gets taken out of context on these boards and it drives me nuts.

Sorry not sure what you are saying. I'm happy to discuss 2012 right now myself even though I doubt most posters are ready to join us.

33, I relish a breakdown of 2012 because this season starts tonight with real concern about whether we can beat the Loyola-Md team picked to finish 3rd in the Metro-Atlantic for goodness stakes. Miami will be a top 25 preseason team if Scott and Johnson return next season. Gamble is injured and will apply to return. Jones is suspended for the year for taking money from the football booster. Coach Larranga has been bragging about Larkin we'll see starting tonight.

Miami will not be anywhere close to a top 25 team next season.

With D.Scott and RJohnson yes without no

Doesn't matter if they both come back or not. Johnson has always had weight/conditioning issues and his knee injury will do nothing to help that. Scott is a solid player but not nearly good enough to carry them anywhere close to a top 25. And lets not pretend that Miami has studs and quality depth. They don't.

Back