• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update - 4/16/11

For some reason, I believe ND has better mechanisms for hiding their athletes.

Is he considering ND though? You may have him confused with Katenda.

You're right. My bad.

- Eric Katenda is at Notre Dame this weekend. It seems like Iowa is out of the picture. I expect him to make his decision in the next week or so. The longer he waits, the better our chances. The closer to Sunday, the better Notre Dame’s.

- Everyone I talked to at Wake and in Winston is confused by the Lekan Ajayi situation. Best I can gather is he likes Wake, his family loves Wake, some coaches at Quality Education and mentors don’t think it is right for him. This doesn’t meane anything shady is going on, they are just providing strong advice and guidance, in their opinion. One source I talked to said, again, Wake “has no chance” while another said Wake is “right there.” So who knows. Ive heard whispers of transcript concerns so that’s another factor to consider. For months I thought Seton Hall, but now they’re out. Who knows!

- Of the Europeans mentioned last week, Thomas de Thaey is the name still being mentioned to me the most. My guess on the information I have right now – if neither Katenda or Lekan commit, we’ll take Thomas over a transfer, because A) we need immediate help and B) hes older. (he’s 20 years old right now.) Wed love to find a postgrad, but they seem to have dried up/have their eyes on “glitzier” programs. (I’m hearing Ola Ashalou to SD State now, for example.)

- Someone mentioned Jay Canty last week. Not happening.

- We are either worried about Stefan Jankovic blowing up or super high on Kale Abrahamson, because we’d take a comittment from either right now. If reports of Kale visiting in June are true, I expect that to be used as leverage with Stefan. With transfers and depending on 2011, its possible both could end up here, though that doesn’t make sense to me from a roster stance. Stanford lieks Kale a lot, and may offer soon, so hes no “gimme” for us.

- Even though we already have a big man in 2012 in Andre Washington, we would take Adam Woodbury in a second. We are just a name on his list right now though, which is better than not being on the list I guess.

- Its early, but our dream class here would be Major Canady, a 6’2 point, and Greg McClinton, a 6’6 forward.

Thanks for the update. I just wonder what kind of scholarships we're going to have available. We'll have 12 scholarship players next year if we get Katenda, Ajayi, or Thomas. Then, with three 2012 commitments and only two graduating (Walker, Nikita), we're maxed out at 13 scholarships in 2012.

In 2013, we'd only graduate CJ, so that would mean only one scholarship available.

It's probably a bit premature to be projecting 2013 because we don't know how transfers or the NBA draft will work out, but how do we get any more 2012 recruits (Jankovic, Abrahamson), if we're still willing to take someone for next year?

Long ND Rivals article on Katenda's visit. Bottom line statement - I paraphrase below:

If I go to ND I will play behind somebody. If I go somewhere else and start I probably would be on a losing team. it is two different situations to consider.

^^Tabb's status is still uncertain as far as I know.

Long ND Rivals article on Katenda's visit. Bottom line statement - I paraphrase below:

If I go to ND I will play behind somebody. If I go somewhere else and start I probably would be on a losing team. it is two different situations to consider.

He should be a little more confident in his ability to change team dynamics.

not an uncommon conundrum for recruits.

what we can hopefully offer him is a unique blend of more immediate playing time on a team with tradition in a big time conference that is (god willing) on its way back towards success. all this in the setting of great academics and better weather.

with luck, that will make the difference for him but it's hard to fault him either way.

Seems like Tabb will be back.

I'm firmly in the get Lekan camp. But Katenda seems like a nice player who will contribute a lot as well.

Tabb should be back if he stays on the path he is on now.

I'd take Lekan or Katenda at this point. Both fill a need.

Doesn't seem like he was wowed at ND.

I don't think we get either recruit.

Im sure bzz will probably kick someone else off the team at some point to open up a scholly.

Back