• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BB Staff: Woodberry, Ballard, & Bauman (DOBO) join from Tulsa; ChillIN

Those that are advocating forgetting the Tulsa assistants due to their thin resumes and bringing on a new staff:

That would only amplify the risk factor of a Manning hire. Tulsa showed some very nice player development and generally strong statistical tendencies last year. What if the assistants, although they don't have thick coaching resumes, were largely responsible for that? Manning with 3 new assistants would be a much more unknown entity.

If it were up to me I would keep his two main Tulsa assistants on board and hire the best external recruiter I could acquire for last spot on the staff.

ETA: Unless Manning thinks Woodberry was the star of his Tulsa staff and he'd be better off with 2 externals. Obviously he would know best.

Last edited:
The staff usually comes with the hire. That's just how it is.

"Coach, we love what you did at Tulsa and think you can do some great things in the ACC. But you gotta ditch your staff."

I'd be happy if he upgraded his staff, but that's unrealistic.

Worth pointing out that Clawson brought his OC/DC/STC with him from Bowling Green.

But he also upgraded his staff at other positions.

And, to be clear, I am not suggesting that Manning shouldn't have control over his staff. I am suggesting that given: a) he already fired one of his coaches from Tulsa (or at least the guy wasn't coming back); and b) we should have a fair bit more money to offer assistants than Tulsa, that maybe he might be able to find a slightly better candidate or 2.

If Ballard doesn't get the Tulsa HC job(might be too inexperienced), I'd bet on him coming along as well, which would be a very good thing.

I'd really like Ballard, Woodberry, and a stud recruiter.

But he also upgraded his staff at other positions.

And, to be clear, I am not suggesting that Manning shouldn't have control over his staff. I am suggesting that given: a) he already fired one of his coaches from Tulsa (or at least the guy wasn't coming back); and b) we should have a fair bit more money to offer assistants than Tulsa, that maybe he might be able to find a slightly better candidate or 2.

He definitely added coaches at other positions. And it is difficult to compare given how many coaches you can have in football vs. basketball. But I agree he did seek out some outstanding hires outside of BG. We'll see what happens with the other two assistant positions.

Worth pointing out that Clawson brought his OC/DC/STC with him from Bowling Green.

Yep. I don't remember anybody suggesting that Clawson use more money to get a better OC or DC.

Due to factors that we've discussed ad nauseum, we hired a much more experienced head coach and staff for football than basketball. That's the bed. We're lying in it. Hope it works out.

If Ballard doesn't get the Tulsa HC job(might be too inexperienced), I'd bet on him coming along as well, which would be a very good thing.

I'd really like Ballard, Woodberry, and a stud recruiter.
Generally agree. Manning knows what it takes to succeed in high-major basketball and what is important to get from the assistant spots during his time at Kansas. He is not going to bring along his Tulsa staff just to bring them along, he obviously feels that any coach that he brings with him is an asset to his new program.

Assuming that Ballard will most likely be coming along as well, the third assistant coach spot is key. I'd really hope that Manning and Wake are able to pull in an established recruiter since most of the other coaches are not too experienced in recruiting and do not have established ties to the Southeast & Mid-Atlantic recruiting areas.

Last edited:
Fair to assume that [Redacted] will get passed over for the third spot?

Yep. I don't remember anybody suggesting that Clawson use more money to get a better OC or DC.

Due to factors that we've discussed ad nauseum, we hired a much more experienced head coach and staff for football than basketball. That's the bed. We're lying in it. Hope it works out.

Welcome to the new ACC. It's a football conference now! :)

That would only amplify the risk factor of a Manning hire. Tulsa showed some very nice player development and generally strong statistical tendencies last year. What if the assistants, although they don't have thick coaching resumes, were largely responsible for that?

That will work as long as we're still operating under the "culture" plan for success...but I think it takes major recruiting to have consistent success in the ACC. Development only gets you so far, and developing great players is easier than developing ok players. No one is going to coach this current level of talent into an ACC dominating squad. So far, there's nothing to indicate that his staff is good at recruiting, which is one of my major concerns with the hire. They could be great recruiters, but we just don't know.

Still have a feeling the third will be Chill. And while this is short-sighted it doesn't hurt that his kid is pretty close with Giles and others in NC coming up. And little Chill is pretty good himself.

Still have a feeling the third will be Chill. And while this is short-sighted it doesn't hurt that his kid is pretty close with Giles and others in NC coming up. And little Chill is pretty good himself.

That's been my gut feeling as well, granted, based on nothing but speculation.

So Manning should get rid of the assistants who helped him get where he is today. Y'all are some tough SOB's ala Claire Underwood.

So Manning should get rid of the assistants who helped him get where he is today. Y'all are some tough SOB's ala Claire Underwood.

Manning did get rid of one of his asst's right after Tulsa's season ended.

Wonder if Woodberry knows Chill from playing overseas?

Clawson brought in two guys from outside: Dave Cohen and Kevin Higgins and kept two from Grobe's staff: Warren Belin and Derrick Jackson. That is four out of nine who are new to his staff, although Cohen did work with Clawson when both were at Albany.

So it is not unreasonable to look for some "outside" hires and upgrades. Particularly when Danny had already seen a need to upgrade while at Tulsa. All the more reason to upgrade when you get a better job. And can pay assistants more.

Clawson brought in two guys from outside: Dave Cohen and Kevin Higgins and kept two from Grobe's staff: Warren Belin and Derrick Jackson. That is four out of nine who are new to his staff, although Cohen did work with Clawson when both were at Albany.

So it is not unreasonable to look for some "outside" hires and upgrades. Particularly when Danny had already seen a need to upgrade while at Tulsa. All the more reason to upgrade when you get a better job. And can pay assistants more.

Tabacca was an outside guy, too.

Back