• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Reading is Fundamental. The first two Pearl signed were ALREADY being recruited by Auburn BEFORE he arrived. One is from AL.

Tinkle signed his SON and a player who had been recruited heavily by Oregon stated before Tinkle was hired

I realize this makes too much sense. I understand the logic can befuddle you.
According to 247, UNLV was the early favorite for Horace Spencer, who played his high school ball in Las Vegas, before King Moxie and his staff came along and swooped in. As far as Purjoy, I honestly do not know who he was leaning towards early in 2014 and last year. I have a hard time believing he'd commit to a program that hasn't been to the NCAAT since 2003 and to a coach who had gone 11-20, 15-16, 9-23, and 14-16 in his 4 seasons at Auburn. I think Pearl and his staff had a lot to do with his commitment but agree to disagree.

I can't wait to see Strickland's and Ayo's excuses and backtracking if we sign a player or two.
Huh? Why would I backtrack if Manning signs a Top 100 recruit in his first year? If that happens, it would SUPPORT exactly what I'm arguing.

I'm not assessing Manning's 2015 recruiting. I'll wait until the class is complete to do that. I'm assessing your argument that it's unreasonable to expect a coach to sign top talent in his first recruiting class at his new school.

Won't argue with you anymore, RJ. This will be my last post on the subject. Hopefully Crawford makes his decision in the next few days.

Last edited:
Simply put, Manning needs to deliver a good player or two in 2015. He needs to deliver a top class in 2016. Anything less is a failure. I won't hold not getting specific players against him since certain players have developed strong relationships with other teams over years but there are more than enough top 100 talents still out there that WF should be able to attract if they want to.

FWIW, I have no solid info to base this on but I am a little more optimistic about Bryant Crawford today than I was earlier in the week (watch him commit to GU right after I post this). Bryant does have the connections to GU and friends on the team but I keep seeing references to the allure of playing in the ACC when reading about his recruitment. Also, WF needs to get some of the past players on campus to "bump" into players if they don't already do it already. Bryant happened to run into AI while at Georgetown and he has pictures with him.

Agree with that, except there aren't many current top 100 players left on the board for 2015. While established relationships might be the deciding factor for a given player, it won't be for all. It is one factor among many. If Manning can convince a kid that Wake is the best opportunity for him, most kids aren't going to go somewhere else just because they have known another coach longer. If Manning can get in their living room or get them on campus, he has a fair shot at doing just that. It is not inconceivable for a program to come in late and pick up late developing players. DM can lose almost all of those battles and still be successful this year. He just has to win one or two. This is the beginning of his "honeymoon". He needs to capitalize.
Since I have no recruiting info, I will now ask a question and duck back out of this convo.
Any chance Perry Dozier commits to Georgetown to give us some help with Crawford?

Seems kind of like CJ Harris but a little smaller. Do you all think has athleticism to play at ACC level?

From that video, he seems to have his father's jumper and his father's jumping ability. . . "and there you have the facts of life."

From that video, he seems to have his father's jumper and his father's jumping ability. . . "and there you have the facts of life."

Does he have poppa's nasty cross?

I know nothing about this stuff, but does anyone know why we haven't heard diddly about Tahjai Teague (SF)? Is he just ranked too low for interest, even though that hasn't seemed to stop us in the recent past?

If anyone wants to see the pics that Samir posted on FB for his Vandy visit, here they are.
[link is from a Vandy message board, not from creepily stalking his FB]

Last edited:
BBall Recruiting Megathread - Moore & Turner to visit! '15 SG/SF prospects in...

Still sucks seeing Fisher-Davis and especially Shelton in those pics. Sehic is planning to decide mid October. He seems like someone who enjoys taking these free visits and checking out all the sights.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to see the pics that Samir posted on FB for his Vandy visit, here they are.

Man I hope we stepped up in the cake game too:

10696430_690181517730371_6516366282364659836_n.jpg

Can you explain why, then, his numbers decrease pretty consistently as the season continues? (Hint: the important part is in bolded red text)

8 games in November. 17.6 ppg on 49% FG --> injury free
5 games in December. 16.0 ppg on 46% FG --> injury free
8 games in January. 10.8 ppg on 39% FG --> injury free
6 games in February. 9.3 ppg on 41% FG --> w/ injury
5 games in March. 8.0 ppg on 38% FG --> w/ injury

He had two 20 point games - NCSU & VT - great, but the rest of that month was kind of ugly:

#19 UNC - 12 pts (5/10 FG)
@ UVA - 6 pts (2/9 FG)
@ Pitt - 10 pts (3/11 FG)
NC State - 20 pts (7/11 FG)
@ Clemson - 6 pts (3/14 FG)
@ VT - 20 pts (8/16 FG)
ND - 8 pts (3/5 FG)
Cuse - 4 pts (1/6 FG)
...and then he rolled his ankle vs. GT

You can find more of the #stats here.

I'll try. Because after a summer of working w chill on his shot he was taking and hitting jumpers. Then be started missing most of his jumpers so he stopped taking them. He is not a natural shooter unfortunately. I think this will be his career m.o.

Something else you have to look at is we went from playing crap teams to teams like UVA, Clemson, Syracuse and others who play D. With our previous coach, no penetrating PG and bad rebounding, Syracuse is as bad a match-up as Codi can possibly have. The results were predictable and expected. Clemson keyed on him. KJ even rotated on him sometimes.

I understand to some raw numbers are all that matter. Context and match-ups don't matter. It's all about numbers in a vacuum.

Manning's major problem is that he currently only has one scholarship available next year, and no one wants to sign on to this team as the only recruit next year. I don't think we can fully judge him as a recruiter because he has very little space to operate in. That is not an excuse...it is the ghost of Jeff [Redacted] still haunting our program. He filled our roster with subpar talet and left little room for the new coach to operate. Having said that...some of the moves that Manning has made since getting started further limited his recruiting freedom for next year: signing Hudson, on paper at least, was a bad move, trading Webelkin for Mitchell, was again on paper a bad move, signing the Greek Deac may have been a bad move. These recruits are probably looking at our roster and thinking 'if I go there and I am the only 2015 guy, who am I gonna play with?'

I have to go back to this post. Manning is not recruiting as if he has only one scholarship to give. Manning will accept commitments, to the extent we get any, from at least 2 players this fall/winter. So the "we only have one scholarship to give" argument doesn't work.

It seems Danny is recruiting at least as if Daniel is graduating.

Back