• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Because his father works for WFU, would we even need to put him on an athletic scholarship?

No Chill could get a raise that would cover Brandoln's tuition, room & board. Wouldn't he only have to pay 10% or so?

I don't think he would need a scholarship.

We have had this discussion before. He could get the preferred walk on spot, not take up a scholly, and still get reduced tuition from his dad's staff position.

Going to quote myself from earlier in this thread:

*Wake hired Childress in August 2011, so he will become eligible for the (dependents of) Faculty/Staff tuition concession in August 2014.
The concession for Childress would be 94% of tuition and academic fees.

*Manning, on the other hand, would not become eligible for benefits until April 2019 (unless there exists the relevant stipulation in his contract), and he would only receive an 80% concession.

It's possible that he would want a scholarship if he is good enough for one. Would be something that he "earned" himself. Similar situation to Deion Sanders' kid.

But I don't know Brandon personally, so I can't speak for how much something like that would mean to him.

Only one person really knows, but I doubt this.

The flip side would be freeing up a scholarship for a teammate to (hopefully) make the team better. Also would mean he does not need to be released from a scholarship if something did not work out for Team Childress and they wanted to go elsewhere. Or being pressured to transfer if he did not meet expectations.

Last edited:
For some reason I don't have a good vibe with the situation though. Not sure of UNLVs scholarship situation, they seem to have a lot of moving pieces.

We need to start a thread called 'Who Aren't We Offering'.

We aren't offering any more players than we have in the past. They're just higher profile players and earlier in the process.

This is how it's supposed to be done. We actually have guys to recruit this summer, rather than saving evaluation, offering and recruiting for the last minute.

We aren't offering any more players than we have in the past. They're just higher profile players and earlier in the process.

This is how it's supposed to be done. We actually have guys to recruit this summer, rather than saving evaluation, offering and recruiting for the last minute.

That way we can be happy if we sign them instead of trying to find out who they are.

Childress Jr wants to play for Wake - right now. He is a rising junior and hasn't made any visits to other schools, so that could change. If you ask him where he wants to go if he had to choose today, he would pick Wake.

Remember- he is just a 2*. I think he will get much better this summer and his rating will change, but if it doesn't, we won't offer just because of his dad's status.

BBall Recruiting Megathread 4.0 - Welcome Mitchell Wilbekin! Wake in Cornish'...

Offered 2016 PF Omari Spellman. #37 in the nation overall.

And BChill will not be a 2* after this summer if he plays anything like he did at the NC Top 80. His passing is top notch. Only huge knock at this point is his size, but he's a soph in HS.

247 has UNLV at 80% and Nebraska at 20% on Cornish. I must be missing something but how is a team without an open scholarship projected as being so likely?

BBall Recruiting Megathread 4.0 - Welcome Mitchell Wilbekin! Wake in Cornish'...

247 has UNLV at 80% and Nebraska at 20% on Cornish. I must be missing something but how is a team without an open scholarship projected as being so likely?

I believe they do have open 'ships but I can't keep up. Seems like UNLV is def the favorite.

Here's some Cornish info that is higher on Wake than I have seen lately http://bit.ly/1g6zNuL
I read that earlier. The blurb in the second post is confusing.

"The source that feels good about Wake Forest is on the New Orleans end of things, while the source that feels good about UNLV is on the Vegas/Cornish end of things."

So the hometown source (probably the NOLA newspaper reporter), who has direct contact with and provides the most news about Cornish is high on Wake. But the second source is connected with Las Vegas (UNLV) and Cornish? It'd seem that it'd be an either or thing for the LV source. The NO source could much more easily be family/HS/newspaper intertwined.

Random ranting & slightly off topic (feel free to skip):
I am a big fan of 247's prediction experts. While some honestly use the system and make a prediction then stick with it, a lot of the experts simply keep changing their guesses until the recruit actually eliminates schools and finally commits somewhere. That way the expert is right, even though they were wrong for most of the recruitment time.

They all predicted SMU until the school got eliminated, then they all jumped on Nebraska until Cornish had a good but not great visit, and then now most have jumped to UNLV. There are a couple guys who have changed their guesses like 4 times in two weeks time.

I am all for updating projections with the most recent info but they should stop keeping track of accuracy and claiming to be experts when most have no intention to stick to their projections and are simply following the latest news out there. Anyone with Twitter can be that type of projection expert.

Last edited:
Back