• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Does someone know the actual rules regarding early signing without available scholarships? I'm not so sure you can't do that. I think you guys are overplaying that angle.

It's not like a top 100 guy is going to be scared off by our guards.

Also, there's the possibility of juniors graduating since they've been to every summer session and transferring without sitting out. I'm sure Danny has thought about this more than any of us. Give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

You cannot sign a LOI for a scholarship your school doesn't have. Getting a commitment is one thing. Signing an LOI is a totally different animal.

rj is correct here. Giving a late scholarship to a player that isn't expected to contribute much over his four years would hurt us more in the long-run than saving the scholarship for a season and being able to take more fall signees that will be higher-impact.

RJ knows shit about horses, but I agree with him 94% of the time on basketball.

It's hilarious that rj is given credit for an opinion held by about 90% of posters on this thread.

Has Wake Forest ever reneged on a scholarship offer? Hudson is a [Redacted] recruit and doesn't fit the mold of Manning's targets so far. Have a hard time believing Manning re-recruited him and made him a priority.

Manning stepped in late to a garbage situation. Think he gets a pass until next year's recruiting class comes in.

When was the last season that we DIDN'T have any transfers? Danny is counting on having one or two and is recruiting that way. Leonard will be one and done. Maybe a SG or two will leave. Perhaps a current JR that has the credits will transfer out at season's end in order to play immediately somewhere else. And then there's Daniel Green's scholarship. The kid hasn't played in two seasons and DM is already on record as saying that he's not game ready yet for the upcoming season. Lots of variables at play. Once again, it's not as 'simple' as RJK says it is.

When was the last season that we DIDN'T have any transfers? Danny is counting on having one or two and is recruiting that way. Leonard will be one and done. Maybe a SG or two will leave. Perhaps a current JR that has the credits will transfer out at season's end in order to play immediately somewhere else. And then there's Daniel Green's scholarship. The kid hasn't played in two seasons and DM is already on record as saying that he's not game ready yet for the upcoming season. Lots of variables at play. Once again, it's not as 'simple' as RJK says it is.

It actually is pretty simple. We +1 on scholarships for next year. We get a commitment from 1 guy (let's say yet ANOTHER guard). We are chasing a big that would be an early contributor. Because he is, you know, good, other high major schools actually are willing to give him a scholarship as well (this is something that happens routinely at other ACC programs, yet not at Wake Forest for the past 4 years). One of the tools we have now given the other schools is to bring out our roster and say- "they don't have a scholarship for you, why would you commit there?"

That statement may not be outcome determinative, but it sure as hell doesn't help. And given the depths of our program right now, it would seem to make sense to give ourselves every possible advantage.

And let's remember- 99% chance that the players we have for 2015 commit (and sign) before we play a game next year. So helping us win games in 2014-2015 does nothing for the 2015 class.

If Hudson can play- fantastic. Good to have him. But given that other shitty schools (such as LSU) don't want him, I'm not particularly optimistic he can play. Best case scenario is probably an Overton or Jones-level contributor, which is a ticket to Wednesday of the ACC tourney.

It's EXACTLY that simple if we want a Top 100 guy. Very few will be left on the board after October. Unless we know Daniel is graduating, we won't have a scholarship in October/November to give.

There's no way around this fact.

It's also very unlikely that we'd know about a transfer before the end of the season. Thus we'd still not have any for the Spring signing period.

There are very few variables for 2015.

Has Wake Forest ever reneged on a scholarship offer? Hudson is a [name redacted] recruit and doesn't fit the mold of Manning's targets so far. Have a hard time believing Manning re-recruited him and made him a priority.
On an offer? Yes, a lot. WF reneges on offers every year when they finalize their recruiting class and all of the remaining offers are no longer active/valid. Pulling an offer from a recruit is pretty common, especially when schools changes coaches.

On a commitment? Probably but I'd imagine that it is very rare and in unique circumstances.

Has Wake Forest ever reneged on a scholarship offer? Hudson is a [Redacted] recruit and doesn't fit the mold of Manning's targets so far. Have a hard time believing Manning re-recruited him and made him a priority.

Manning stepped in late to a garbage situation. Think he gets a pass until next year's recruiting class comes in.
If what you are suggesting were actually true I'd have even less faith in Manning than Caturday.

13-14 is over.

By signing a player that uses a four year scholarship starting this fall, he will only have one scholarship for 2015. If he signs anyone now, he can kiss a better player good-bye for 2015.

No one will transfer before the fall signing period is over. Thus we totally lose the scholarship for that period. It's also likely we won't know if anyone is leaving before the Spring signing period.

We are involved with many of the Top 20 SGs. We can kiss them good-bye for 2015 if we add anyone now.

If we think we can get a Top 100 guy in 2015, we'd be total morons to give up the scholarship now. If we don't think we can get a Top 100, then we hired the wrong coach.

It's just that simple.

This is completely wrong. We can sign as many as we want in the fall signing period as long as we are down to 13 Scollies at the beginning of the following year( fall of 2015). Football teams do this all the damn time and there is even a saying that the numbers always work out. I 100. % guarantee that we have more than 1 signee this fall, probably 3 or so.

So Calipari can't go ahead and accept LOIs until all his freshmen declare for the draft?

We need to add two and maybe three guys who are Top 100 players in 2015 if we expect to be good in 15-16. Knowing if Daniel is going to graduate is critical.

I think it would be a great idea for him. He could either go somewhere and get a graduate degree, maybe play in low level overseas or just graduate.

He's had two major injuries. He's tried really hard. It's too bad.

This is completely wrong. We can sign as many as we want in the fall signing period as long as we are down to 13 Scollies at the beginning of the following year( fall of 2015). Football teams do this all the damn time and there is even a saying that the numbers always work out. I 100. % guarantee that we have more than 1 signee this fall, probably 3 or so.

Football teams take commitments all time...not LOIs

Let's even say it's possible. It would destroy the team this year and in ongoing years. Think about it. We'd have to kick a player or players out. The team would decompose into cliques. some players would be playing exclusively for themselves.

This would be a horrible and classless way to run a program.

Last edited:
So Calipari can't go ahead and accept LOIs until all his freshmen declare for the draft?

50896446.jpg

Football teams sign players to Loi's in February. They routinely sign more than they have open Scollies for. It happens all the time. As long as they are down to 85 when school starts in the fall , there is no problem. I don't understand why some of y'all are having such a hard time understanding " the numbers always work out".

I don't understand why you don't get the difference between basketball and football.

I don't understand why you don't get why this can destroy a program and make us look classless. When was the last time you say UNC or Duke or L'ville or Cuse or any really top program do this? There's a reason.

Back