• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

I'll never understand some of these decisions. I mean, Pitt's returning very little in guard scoring and they won an NCAA tournament game. Fordham hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1971. 10 minutes from home makes it worth going to Fordham?

We certainly could have used him this year, but next year he'd be fighting for minutes against either a 5 star Shelton or a junior year Codi. Probably would have transferred if he wants to start, which I'm sure he does. Coron sounds like a better option for us, but when that falls through I'm sure someone else will be crowned the next much better option as well.

The bold is a really weak argument. We could have used Severe, especially down the line. Unlike Overton, whose potential is really contingent on us getting a good ACC-caliber point guard out of either Shelton or CMM, Severe actually could have given us the 6th man scoring punch that our good teams in the past have had.

Coron was not a better option for us (between him and Severe), but he's the best option that we have right now.

Last edited:
The bold is a really weak argument. We could have used Severe, especially down the line. Unlike Overton, whose potential is really contingent on us getting a good ACC-caliber point guard out of either Shelton or CMM, Severe actually could have given us the 6th man scoring punch that our good teams in the past have had.

Coron was not a better option for us (between him and Severe), but he's the best option that we have right now.

Did you even read what I wrote?

In no way did I make the argument we couldn't use Severe down the line. But he's an undersized shooting guard who wants to be a starter somewhere. It would be pretty logical for him to make the switch to point guard at his size - but we have Shelton on the way. Pretty fair assumption that Codi will play the 2 with Shelton, which means either Severe has to beat out Codi to start or Shelton has to be a bust.

Either way, the entire point of the post is that Pitt was a more attractive option and a far better program right now than Wake or Fordham, and yet he chose Fordham.

Coron is a better option scholarship wise down the road, considering the team's needs. I know we're all projecting Severe to score 40 a game now that he's rejected us, but we have some targets over the next 2 years that are far more valuable than Severe is.

Did you even read what I wrote?

In no way did I make the argument we couldn't use Severe down the line. But he's an undersized shooting guard who wants to be a starter somewhere. It would be pretty logical for him to make the switch to point guard at his size - but we have Shelton on the way. Pretty fair assumption that Codi will play the 2 with Shelton, which means either Severe has to beat out Codi to start or Shelton has to be a bust.

Either way, the entire point of the post is that Pitt was a more attractive option and a far better program right now than Wake or Fordham, and yet he chose Fordham.

Coron is a better option scholarship wise down the road, considering the team's needs. I know we're all projecting Severe to score 40 a game now that he's rejected us, but we have some targets over the next 2 years that are far more valuable than Severe is.

This is an outstanding post.

Could we have used Severe? Of course. He would likely have helped us down the road.

Williams can help now and doesn't tie up scholarships past this year, which gives us a better chance at landing a better player than Severe in the much better 2013 class.

This isn't really "we're all saying we didn't want Severe" once he didn't come as much as it is realizing that a postgrad is actually a better option at this point.

Relax. I only was responding to the bold part of your post.

You're assuming a number of things that I'm not in that section. For one, since neither of us is well-connected to Jon Severe and his family, we can't say whether wanting to be a starter was a reason for his decision. We do know that he wanted to stay close to home and help a once-proud program rebuild.

For two, you and I have no idea what will happen next year. Is Codi going to play point guard or shooting guard? I, for one, don't think Madison Jones is an ACC-caliber point guard and, considering the fact that we don't have anybody else on the lineup who can spot minutes at the 1, I can't imagine us not going with Codi as a starter next year. Seeing as we have been consistently recruiting SGs in the Class of 2013, assuming that a guy won't sign because he's worried about Codi taking his place makes absolutely no sense. Is that why Anton Gill, Stanford Robinson, Kam Williams, Davon Reed, and Jon Severe didn't accept our offers?

Coron is a fine pick-up, but I'm not sure what we're expecting out of him. He played decent minutes at RMU and wasn't very productive. He can shoot, but so (allegedly) can Miles Overton.

If the goal is to build a program, then recruiting 24-year-old post grads who play the same position as your incoming talent (Overton) and young players (Codi) that you want to develop makes about as little sense as signing a guy to a scholarship who could develop into the player-type that guys like G$ and Chase really failed to turn into...

Signing Coron Williams means that Buzz is worried that he won't be able to hit whatever arbitrary mark has been set for him. If developing young talent is the goal, then the staff should close the book on the Class of 2013 and start working towards the future.

Last edited:
This is an outstanding post.

Could we have used Severe? Of course. He would likely have helped us down the road.

Williams can help now and doesn't tie up scholarships past this year, which gives us a better chance at landing a better player than Severe in the much better 2013 class.

This isn't really "we're all saying we didn't want Severe" once he didn't come as much as it is realizing that a postgrad is actually a better option at this point.

This is really "we're all saying we didn't want Severe" once he didn't come. Pure, unadulterated sour grapes.

This postgrad wasn't an option until the first rebuffed our non-offer. If Josh Davis comes to Wake, then Coron Williams never happens. We know that the staff wanted both Josh Davis and Jon Severe.

Where does your theory fit into that?

I'll never understand some of these decisions. I mean, Pitt's returning very little in guard scoring and they won an NCAA tournament game. Fordham hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1971. 10 minutes from home makes it worth going to Fordham?

We certainly could have used him this year, but next year he'd be fighting for minutes against either a 5 star Shelton or a junior year Codi. Probably would have transferred if he wants to start, which I'm sure he does. Coron sounds like a better option for us, but when that falls through I'm sure someone else will be crowned the next much better option as well.

I mean this is proper buzz-nutter type stuff.

Plenty of players don't transfer when they don't start. Plenty more transfer even when they do start. And all college players want to start.

This is really "we're all saying we didn't want Severe" once he didn't come. Pure, unadulterated sour grapes.

This postgrad wasn't an option until the first rebuffed our non-offer. If Josh Davis comes to Wake, then Coron Williams never happens. We know that the staff wanted both Josh Davis and Jon Severe.

Where does your theory fit into that?
We could have taken both Josh Davis and Coron Williams and that would have been the best result for us if it had happened. Two more experienced seniors and still three open scholarships for 2014. Getting Williams is definitely better for next year and beyond than getting Severe.

Last edited:
Seems the staff disagreed. Not that they really seem to know what they are doing.

(we offered 3 more small forwards as I typed this).

We could have taken both Josh Davis and Coron Williams and that would have been the best result for us if it had happened. Two more experienced seniors and still three open scholarships for 2014. Getting Williams is definitely better for next year and beyond than getting Severe.

We could have, but Coron Williams was not on the radar when we were "pursuing" Josh Davis, as far as I know.

Do you have sources or is this pure conjecture? It doesn't line up with anything that I've heard.

What you have heard is wrong. Respectfully, you seem to be overestimating your understanding of this process. Who are your sources?
Why does it make sense that missing on Davis would have anything to do with Coron? We have 2 slots available for next year. Coron and Severe are the 2 that would potentially be mutually exclusive or, at least, competing with one another.

What you have heard is wrong. Respectfully, you seem to be overestimating your understanding of this process. Who are your sources?
Why does it make sense that missing on Davis would have anything to do with Coron? We have 2 slots available for next year. Coron and Severe are the 2 that would potentially be mutually exclusive or, at least, competing with one another.

This.

My original question still stands: are your thoughts on this process substantiated or purely conjecture? Perhaps I am wrong, but I only heard Coron's name come up after Davis was a lost cause. That was what I heard from people whose opinions I trust. If we had a legit shot at Severe, then Coron would not be invited to visit campus this weekend. Furthermore, the staff would have recruited him at the same time they were working on Davis, which to my knowledge did.not happen.

Coron Williams is our seventh option at the SG position in our recruiting efforts for the Class of 2013 or our backup option in terms of postgraduate prospects. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Visits are cancelled by either side at the last minute all the time. Had Severe signed we would have simply told Coron sorry.

As recently as about ten days ago RMU was saying all players were returning. It would have been tampering to have mentioned or invited him during the Davis recruitment.

That's fine and good (and you're right), but I'm wondering whether Tobaccoroad or Psych have information beyond conjecture. From the content of their posts, it does not seem like it. Information has been fairly freeflowing this spring regarding our basketball recruiting. I'm sure many other posters here can weigh in.

Back