• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Great post, Pilchard. I saw this on Facebook yesterday. First, Kyrie played 11 games at Duke, yet he's in the middle. Second, I bet if you took a sample of players comparable to Duke's players over the last 20 years, at least 20 of them would be in the NBA. That's not a huge feat.

Edit: That's Seth Curry on the right edge. C'mon.

11165253_10153452149019456_2040820078288616890_n.jpg

There are a lot of folks around that say they have well placed inside sources on Giles' recruitment. They all have Duke as number one but there is a lot of disagreement of who is second. Some say Wake others say UNC or Ky.

Geez, take off the gold and black glasses. Fact: Unless there's some reason a player doesn't care for K, he trumps just about every other program out there. He's built a massive dynasty, and he knows how to reap its rewards. It seems pretty clear to me that Giles doesn't have an issue with K, quite the contrary, and given the pitches K can make and we can make there's really no competition. Especially since our NBA stars you're pointing to played for very different coaches/programs. Wake doesn't have a brand. We're whatever our current coach says we are. There's no coaching continuity to trace a 2016 recruit back to Duncan. Obscurity isn't a selling point.

There are a lot of folks around that say they have well placed inside sources on Giles' recruitment. They all have Duke as number one but there is a lot of disagreement of who is second. Some say Wake others say UNC or Ky.

I'm not sure it matters who's second.

Don't agree. That's what Duke wants Giles to think, but what does Giles want?

Priority #1 - Star in the NBA - Duke does not have a current NBA player better than WF's 3rd best NBA player (Jeff Teague)

Priority #2 - Star in college - Duke has f'd up more than its fair share of HS A-A's. WF hasn't. Giles comes to WF, and he will be the star. He will be instantly the next Tim Duncan or Chris Paul. His team. Giles goes to Duke, and he will be one of a group of stars; maybe it will work out (like last year); maybe it won't (like Duke the previous 3 years).

Not saying Giles will attend WF. Just that WF does some attributes that are more attractive than Duke. Depends on what appeals to Giles.

The one thing that kills me that K needs to get called out for is his using of the his tenure as the head coach of Team USA as recruiting tool. Really think that is what kept K able to recruit at the highest levels as he gets to use his coaching of Lebron, Durant, Harden, Westbrook etc as a tool to bring in talent to Duke. That is simply impossible to compete against, and if K starts to lose a recruiting battle, you know that he plays that card.
Coach K has been called out for this . The unfair advantage is his personal access to the Under 19 USA players such as Parker, Jones , Giles, and others .

I do think he goes to dook, but I'm positive he's still not sure. He is, however, enjoying the hell out of the fame his recruitment is bringing him and he's loving the recruitment process. Can't say that I blame him. He's a kid. He has a million people in his ear and if he's like any other teenage boy, he changes his mind to the opinion of the last person he spoke to every day. I'm sure he's not basing his decision on Kwe- they're teammates but not as tight as him and BChill...so if Kwe goes to Rutgers, so be it.

I did tell him when he went out to dinner with my son's basketball team this winter in regards to Wake in the NBA vs dook and the others that it's quality vs. quantity.

Irving is pretty good. The point is a good one though. It's not like a career at Duke makes you a good pro.

Don't agree. That's what Duke wants Giles to think, but what does Giles want?

Priority #1 - Star in the NBA - Duke does not have a current NBA player better than WF's 3rd best NBA player (Jeff Teague)

Priority #2 - Star in college - Duke has f'd up more than its fair share of HS A-A's. WF hasn't. Giles comes to WF, and he will be the star. He will be instantly the next Tim Duncan or Chris Paul. His team. Giles goes to Duke, and he will be one of a group of stars; maybe it will work out (like last year); maybe it won't (like Duke the previous 3 years).

Not saying Giles will attend WF. Just that WF does some attributes that are more attractive than Duke. Depends on what appeals to Giles.

The one thing that kills me that K needs to get called out for is his using of the his tenure as the head coach of Team USA as recruiting tool. Really think that is what kept K able to recruit at the highest levels as he gets to use his coaching of Lebron, Durant, Harden, Westbrook etc as a tool to bring in talent to Duke. That is simply impossible to compete against, and if K starts to lose a recruiting battle, you know that he plays that card.

Good assessment of the Giles situation. I'd equate it to: someone who wants to work for a successful company vs someone who wants to create a successful company. I think our wildcard is Randolph Childress. He doesn't get mentioned much in Giles' recruitment (maybe by design) but he has far more access to Giles than any other coach is allowed.

I agree that K/TeamUSA is an advantage but disagree that it's what has kept him able to recruit at the elite level. He had a consistent 20+ year track record of recruiting at the highest level prior to his USA gig. His recruiting success is based on 1) prior success on the court 2) assistants that are excellent recruiters. None of those things have changed. He would still have a bench of burger boys without USA.

Does anyone have any legitimate proof that we stopped recruiting Kwe heavily? It seems like everyone simply saw the Washington article a few weeks ago, the offers to McGusty and Jenkins (One of who is a CG and the other who is a SF), and Kwe visiting Rutgers and simply jumped to the conclusion that he's not even on our radar anymore

I'd still like Kwe to Wake. LD 2.0 wouldnt be a bad thing for this team in a large class

All of the things you guys are saying that give Coach K and Duke the recruiting advantage over us in the race for Giles is true in every case - and yet they do lose players to other schools. Wake is a viable destination - great conference, plenty of exposure, quality school and campus, a new coach determined to build a program and with relevant experience and accolades (great college player, similar player to Giles, successful pro). Duke is the easy choice. Wake is the choice a player like Giles makes if he wants to be different - wants to chart his own course, be THE man and not just another cog in the machine, be the saviour, the foundation on which the future of a program is built. I'm not saying that is who Giles is or what he is going to do, but that is the blueprint for why and how he COULD sign with us.

Name the truly great dook NBA players. Grant Hill, maybe Boozer and Brand?

Name the NPOY's that became role players for the most part. Battier, Ferry, Leittner etc

Name dook star player with tragic/stupid injuries in the NBA. Williams, Hurly, Parker etc.

Maybe that's part of the deal with the devil K made. College players that make him great but never achieve real greatness for themselves.

Name the NPOY's that became role players for the most part. Battier, Ferry, Leittner etc

Name dook star player with tragic/stupid injuries in the NBA. Williams, Hurly, Parker etc.

Maybe that's part of the deal with the devil K made. College players that make him great but never achieve real greatness for themselves.

Great post.

To me it's comparable to Roy. They both are great at getting the best of their players when they are in college but aren't too great at developing talent for the NBA.

The idea that Duke/Coach K can only produce players that are good in college but suck in NBA is seriously outdated and stupid. Coach K does 1 and dones now, and he's a really good coach, so he isn't going to ruin them during their one year in Durham.

I legit cheer against Duke every game they play, but come on.

BBall Recruiting Megathread 2k16 - Transfer SG Keyshawn Woods commits to WF!

Obviously the dominos will never fall this favorably for Wake for a #1 player in the class again:

1) From Winston and seems to love to represent the city
2) Plays for Wake legend Chris Paul's AAU team for last 3 years (at least)
3) Wake's head coach is a #1 NBA draft pick who was basically Harry Giles back in the day
4) His good friend and HS point guard is committed to Wake and his dad happens to be another Wake legend and is an assistant coach

I mean things couldn't fall any more in our direction except for redacted destroying the program a couple years prior.

Yeah I mean this really is [Redacted]'s fault, and I'm not being sarcastic

Back