• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

The idea that Duke/Coach K can only produce players that are good in college but suck in NBA is seriously outdated and stupid. Coach K does 1 and dones now, and he's a really good coach, so he isn't going to ruin them during their one year in Durham.

I legit cheer against Duke every game they play, but come on.

Nobody is saying Duke/K only produce players who suck in the NBA. Plenty of good players, but they don't turn into superstars. Trivia question: when's the last time a Duke player was 1st team All-NBA, even for just one season? Who are the last TWO players from Duke to do it?

Same trivia question for UNC, just for fun?

Answer (for UNC and Duke): it's been a long damn time.

Where the elite one and dones go for college has pretty much 0 impact on whether they turn out to be superstars. Also agree that's a dumb narrative.

This Duke vs. Wake NBA comparison is nice but none of the Wake players in the NBA have played for Danny Manning. In fact, DM has never been the head coach for a future NBA player. On the other hand, Duke = K and UK = Cal (not sure why people assume Wake is ahead of UK on Harry's list) . Even if you believe that where a top player goes to school matters for his NBA future, I would imagine it's the coach, the system, and the teammates that matter more than the academic institution.

It's not like Ben Simmons NBA buzz is any weaker or stronger bc he's going to play for Johnny Jones at LSU. Him going there is going to have an immaterial impact on his NBA career compared to one year with Cal or K. No better, no worse. Doesn't matter.

If K had coached Anthony Davis for a year, he would have RUINED him!!!!111!1!!!!

11 of top 15 in 2014 ESPN recruiting rankings are going to go top 20 in NBA draft next week. 3 of the 4 that won't had major injuries. College is just a pit stop for these kids. Any school is fine.

The Giles recruitment is starting to remind me of Mark Teixeira's free agency window. "Home town" O's fans like myself were convinced he would want to come to Baltimore and be the cornerstone for our turnaround, but ultimately he was more interested in joining in with the Yankee tradition and entering a situation where he was more likely to win. Let's hope Harry is smarter than that mouth breathing first baseman.

All of the things you guys are saying that give Coach K and Duke the recruiting advantage over us in the race for Giles is true in every case - and yet they do lose players to other schools. Wake is a viable destination - great conference, plenty of exposure, quality school and campus, a new coach determined to build a program and with relevant experience and accolades (great college player, similar player to Giles, successful pro). Duke is the easy choice. Wake is the choice a player like Giles makes if he wants to be different - wants to chart his own course, be THE man and not just another cog in the machine, be the saviour, the foundation on which the future of a program is built. I'm not saying that is who Giles is or what he is going to do, but that is the blueprint for why and how he COULD sign with us.
I have no problem with this post, as it's completely accurate. It's just funny how many different iterations of this argument have appeared on this thread. If only Harry would listen to our logic...

Without the bz fiasco we would have a legit shot I think with Giles. We are way too early in a rebuilding process to be a serious contender for a blue chip. We are seeing DM and staff acknowledging this and making other plans.

Without the bz fiasco we would have a legit shot I think with Giles. We are way too early in a rebuilding process to be a serious contender for a blue chip. We are seeing DM and staff acknowledging this and making other plans.

What the hell are you talking about? Manning is still recruiting multiple top 30 guys.

What the hell are you talking about? Manning is still recruiting multiple top 30 guys.

he's saying manning has not gotten one yet and does not think it will happen this year based on the hole [Redacted] dug. maybe it's accurate. maybe not. i love that he is going after them whether he pulls one/some in this year or not.

f you ron wellman. it's still your fault.

Just be patient people-- I will be going out of town this summer-- good things happen when I am out of town

Is there a statute of limitations on blaming [Redacted]? Guy was a train wreck but at some point I hope we stop using him as an excuse for all of our shortcomings. If blue chip guys weren't even giving us consideration I think people would have a valid point in blaming him. But if a guy like Giles puts us in the Top 3 then not landing him is more about closing than our past failures.

Is there a statute of limitations on blaming [Redacted]? Guy was a train wreck but at some point I hope we stop using him as an excuse for all of our shortcomings. If blue chip guys weren't even giving us consideration I think people would have a valid point in blaming him. But if a guy like Giles puts us in the Top 3 then not landing him is more about closing than our past failures.
when the sensational seven have all graduated and/or transferred

it's a pretty big fraking hole. it will take a lot of work. [Redacted] stops getting blamed once manning has had time to get away from [Redacted] residue. maybe year two.

on the other hand wellman has not statute of limitations on his culpability.

Back