• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

He didn't have offers from Maryland and Marquette, according to Verbal Commits. Colorado State, Washington State, Fresno State, Rice, and Nevada were his other offers.

This. He may have had interest from Maryland and Marquette, but he definitely didn't have an offer from either program. It seems like he was trying to hype himself up a bit in articles. If you look at interviews from last year, then he's mentioning ambiguous interest from Cal, Providence, Utah, Arizona, Syracuse, Kansas, etc. Hell, look at his "list" on 247. He's a west coast kid, but I follow a lot of those programs' recruiting and he was never a realistic prospect for UCLA, Arizona, Washington, etc.

From what I can tell, his next best "committable" offer was most likely Washington State. I do agree with WakeForestRanger, though, that he would have probably added more lower-caliber P5 offers if he had held out for a few more months.

What's your take on why a kid with a lack of connections to Wake or the ACC would commit after a brief courtship? I'm not sure what it means.

It means no other P5 teams were offering.

It was the best offer he got? Much like most members of the [name redacted] 2012 class.

I think that you're all right, but two points:

I think that it's a good thing that we were able to get our highest ranked recruit in the class of 2016 (Rivals #148 overall) after only recruiting him for a week and visiting campus. Our staff has shown that it can convince top-150 caliber players to come here on a dime.

That being said, what I meant in those quotations above was that it doesn't speak much to our staff's recruiting efforts that the guy we offered last week - rather than the 20+ offers we gave out throughout the year - committed, but so many of our long term priority targets went elsewhere. Obviously (and again), Giles changes the equation a bit, but our commitments include two guys who committed to their best (and, arguably, only P5) offers and the assistant coach's son.

Last edited:
I think that it's a good thing that we were able to get our highest ranked recruit in the class of 2016 (Rivals #148 overall) after only recruiting him for a week and visiting campus. Our staff has shown that it can convince top-150 caliber players to come here on a dime.

That being said, what I meant in those quotations above was that it doesn't speak much to our staff's recruiting efforts that the guy we offered last week - rather than the 20+ offers we gave out throughout the year - committed, but so many of our long term priority targets went elsewhere. Obviously (and again), Giles changes the equation a bit, but our commitments include two guys who committed to their best (and, arguably, only P5) offers and the assistant coach's son.

Ouch.

An actual scouting report from the West coast Scout guy - http://foxs.pt/1io7KK6

He has a 7'4" wingspan

Here is the full scouting report:

On Sunday, Wake Forest landed a commitment from 6-foot-8, 200-pound Clovis (Calif.) Buchanan forward Donovan Mitchell.

The 2016 prospect has long been somewhat of a sleeper on the West Coast and gives Danny Manning a player who needs strength, but has the upside to help him down the road.

Mitchell measured very well at the recent Under Armour All-American Camp, coming away at 6-foot-7 without shoes, a 7-foot-4 wingspan, an 8’9” reach, a 26.9” no step vertical and 29.0” max vertical.

Mitchell's father is 6-foot-7 and played basketball for over a decade professionally, while his mother is over 6-feet and played professional volleyball. Given those genes, Mitchell’s baby face and length, it’s possible he’s not finished growing.

The rising senior has narrow shoulders so putting on strength could come slowly, but his long arms help him play taller than his already formidable size and he has a solid athletic base, as he’s a very bouncy player, which should only improve with muscle.

As an underclassman, Mitchell was a successful volleyball player who split time between that sport and basketball. Eventually, Mitchell decided to drop volleyball for basketball, which over the last year he was really focused on for the first time.

Mitchell typically plays pretty hard, moves his feet well for a kid his size who is potentially still growing, is active on defense and uses his quick hands and anticipation to come up with steals, rebounds really well in and outside his area, blocks shots and scores both in the post and facing the basket.

He understands the game, is a very sharp passer and typically exhibits a very high basketball IQ. Mitchell is a respectable shooter and can knock in jumpers from both distance and midrange. He's slowly added to his scoring arsenal and has a fade-away midrange jumper and turn around right hook.

Mitchell is still inconsistent but his lack of strength and the fact that he’s late to focus on basketball likely has something to do with that.

He needs time, but with strength and development, could be a factor at Wake Forest.

I have seen him listed as a power forward on every recruiting service (#56 on 247 and #74 on ESPN) and the above report definitely portrays him as a face-up 4.

The reports that I have seen that describe him as a potential guard or wing strike me as similar to reports about Aaron Rountree among other 6'7-6'9 combo-forwards with reputations of playing "everything from point guard to power forward" in high school. Unless those guys develop a lot of skills, then they tend to spend more time in the post than on the perimeter where their skill-set works far more to their team's advantage. I got sucked into the Aaron Rountree hype machine, but I'm going to wait and see how Mitchell looks on day one before buying that we just signed a point-forward.

Looking on Verbal Commits, it seems as though Mitchell's stock was much higher before the most recent round of recruiting ranking updates:

Rankings Note: Rankings data shown based on latest ESPN Rankings released on 2014-09-26, Scout Rankings released on 2014-09-23, and Rivals Rankings released on 2014-09-22.

3-star Scout (#24 PF)
3-star Rivals (#31 PF)
3-star ESPN (#28 PF)
[Verbal Commits does not track 247, as of now]

vs.

3-star Scout (NR)
3-star Rivals (#148 overall/NR)
2-star ESPN (#74 PF)

According to the Verbal Commits composite rankings, based on these three recruiting services' rankings, Mitchell was ranked #145 overall and the 28th ranked PF in the class of 2016. This is similar to how Devin Thomas and John Collins ended up in 2012 and 2015.

Last edited:
^^Which part was supposed to make me feel better? The fact he's moving backwards in rankings or compares to Devin? Or maybe that wasn't your intent.

No huge DT fan here but that isn't the point. The point is that [Redacted] coukd have recruited this class so far.

Reactions: Ayo
Maybe. but he wouldn't have coached them as well!

Based on what evidence? Maybe but there is no evidence of that. I didn't see anything from last year that was a major improvement in coaching and nothing so far in recruiting.

No huge DT fan here but that isn't the point. The point is that [Redacted] coukd have recruited this class so far.
This one stings. The truth hurts I guess.

This thread's 629 pages long, and so far we have 3 3*s (including a coach's son) that Bz could have put together. I need to quit this thing until Giles commits.

No huge DT fan here but that isn't the point. The point is that [name redacted] coukd have recruited this class so far.

I'm just saying that the fact that - rankings aside (because his ESPN and 247 rankings are pretty mediocre - he is probably closer to a consensus 3-star, top-30 PF. When ESPN reports the commitment, they'll bump him back up to 3-stars and probably somewhere close to Richard Washington and Brandon Childress's positional rankings.

You're right, though: this is definitely a [name redacted]-caliber class. Maybe not even. [name redacted]'s 2012 class included:

RSCI:
#77 – Codi Miller-McIntyre
#93 – Arnaud Adala Moto
#139 – Aaron Rountree

Ranked positionally:
Devin Thomas (#36 PF ESPN/#52 247 Composite)
Tyler Cavananugh (#38 PF ESPN/#49 247 Composite)
Madison Jones (#34 PG ESPN/#35 247 Composite)
Andre Washington (#46 C ESPN)

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SF/PF Donovan Mitchell commits! Giles visiting ...

That 2012 class wasn't bad, it was just too big and the ones that followed it were really bad. CMM, Thomas, Moto and Cav could all have roles on an ACC team. CMM is the only one with All-ACC potential though and you have to add stars around them.

Last edited:
This one stings. The truth hurts I guess.

This thread's 629 pages long, and so far we have 3 3*s (including a coach's son) that Bz could have put together. I need to quit this thing until Giles commits.

And even if we land Giles we have him for one year on a team many think will be less talented than this year. And when he leaves we will still have a team of three stars. We needed to land Giles and a couple of fours that would stick around. Honestly I'd pass on giles for a class with three four stars that stick around a while. I'm all for one and domes but you have to have some talent around them.

He looks pretty much like a SF in every video of him. A tall one with handles and range. So we have a PG, SG, and SF in this class.

This may be true (I don't really agree, but whatever), but again - I'm just pointing out that the people who get paid to cover and analyze high school recruiting have labeled him as a power forward in two years of consistent coverage.

ETA: Position-aside, I think Mitchell clearly has the most upside and could develop into a nice player for us.

Last edited:
Do we have any proof that Manning knows how to wear headphones correctly?

Back