• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

You have seriously convinced yourself that you're going to be disappointed in this class even if we land the #1 recruit in the country? That's insane.

True and we filled up the rest of the class with dudes who weren't talented to fill spots. Maybe that's not what is happening now but it feels that way.

McClinton may prove to be better than his lackluster freshman season, but he was a good pickup at the time. The SG recruiting debacle that year, though, was just pitiful. I don't know if we're quite there in 2016, but you're right: it feels that way.

You have seriously convinced yourself that you're going to be disappointed in this class even if we land the #1 recruit in the country? That's insane.

Absolutely not. I'll be stoked. I'm just saying it will have limited impact without much better players around him, not to mention the unlikelihood Giles wants to play on a team full of three stars.

This. He may have had interest from Maryland and Marquette, but he definitely didn't have an offer from either program. It seems like he was trying to hype himself up a bit in articles. If you look at interviews from last year, then he's mentioning ambiguous interest from Cal, Providence, Utah, Arizona, Syracuse, Kansas, etc. Hell, look at his "list" on 247. He's a west coast kid, but I follow a lot of those programs' recruiting and he was never a realistic prospect for UCLA, Arizona, Washington, etc.

From what I can tell, his next best "committable" offer was most likely Washington State. I do agree with WakeForestRanger, though, that he would have probably added more lower-caliber P5 offers if he had held out for a few more

I think that you're all right, but two points:

I think that it's a good thing that we were able to get our highest ranked recruit in the class of 2016 (Rivals #148 overall) after only recruiting him for a week and visiting campus. Our staff has shown that it can convince top-150 caliber players to come here on a dime.

That being said, what I meant in those quotations above was that it doesn't speak much to our staff's recruiting efforts that the guy we offered last week - rather than the 20+ offers we gave out throughout the year - committed, but so many of our long term priority targets went elsewhere. Obviously (and again), Giles changes the equation a bit, but our commitments include two guys who committed to their best (and, arguably, only P5) offers and the assistant coach's son.
Chill deserves more respect than that.

Here is the full scouting report:

I have seen him listed as a power forward on every recruiting service (#56 on 247 and #74 on ESPN) and the above report definitely portrays him as a face-up 4.

The reports that I have seen that describe him as a potential guard or wing strike me as similar to reports about Aaron Rountree among other 6'7-6'9 combo-forwards with reputations of playing "everything from point guard to power forward" in high school. Unless those guys develop a lot of skills, then they tend to spend more time in the post than on the perimeter where their skill-set works far more to their team's advantage. I got sucked into the Aaron Rountree hype machine, but I'm going to wait and see how Mitchell looks on day one before buying that we just signed a point-forward.
Look at the video . He's no Roundtree. Tree came out of hs with the reputation as a player who needed major work on his shot. He showed up on campus with a horrible looking shot. Mitchell has a very nice stroke.

Donovan Mitchell shot 34% from field, 21% from three (7 for 33), 61% from FT line this summer over 10 AAU games with Team Superstar. Seems like a major project - toolsy with huge wingspan - but not really good at basketball skills etc.

Donovan Mitchell shot 34% from field, 21% from three (7 for 33), 61% from FT line this summer over 10 AAU games with Team Superstar. Seems like a major project - toolsy with huge wingspan - but not really good at basketball skills etc.

This is my impression, as well.

Based on what evidence? Maybe but there is no evidence of that. I didn't see anything from last year that was a major improvement in coaching and nothing so far in recruiting.
Geez.., we couldn't get in the top 5 for top 50 recruits with Bzz . They didn't even consider us. The one exception may have been Haas, and he saw the writing on the wall. We have made a lot of progress over the past 16 months . Dinos, Crab, Wilbekin on short notice, Moore, Crawford and Collins and now three shooters at PG, SG, and SF.

Yeesh. Those numbers are not exactly encouraging. Are you still gonna say he's a shooter with a good stroke, wfu22?

I guess video can be deceptive . His shot looks great on video and some services called him a good shooter. I stand corrected but I'll be surprised if he is a brick mason like Tree.

Here are the full stats: http://www.teamsuperstarbasketball.com/page/show/1707101-stats I gotta be honest they are pretty discouraging. Only 2 steals and 4 blocks over ten full games with his size and wingspan against that level of competition is not ideal.

I think the appeal is that he has great size/wingspan/athleticism and doesn't have a fully broken shot. And he hasn't played basketball very long. So coaches probably think there is a foundation to build a player over time. But I doubt he'll be very good as a freshman.

Here are the full stats: http://www.teamsuperstarbasketball.com/page/show/1707101-stats I gotta be honest they are pretty discouraging. Only 2 steals and 4 blocks over ten full games with his size and wingspan against that level of competition is not ideal.

I think the appeal is that he has great size/wingspan/athleticism and doesn't have a fully broken shot. And he hasn't played basketball very long. So coaches probably think there is a foundation to build a player over time. But I doubt he'll be very good as a freshman.

We will really need good freshmen in 2016.

He will probably get homesick and transfer to a west coast school within his first two yeas at Wake.

He is going to destroy the buffet with that wingspan though.

I think you are probably right . But we will have Crabb and Mclinton at the 3 , so he won't be forced into action right away . He could back up Collins at the 4 if we don't sign Giles or another big.

I don't know what being "served up" to dook means, but I know that the dook staff used the recent White House visit heavily in their Giles recruiting propaganda.

I was told that Manning has invested more time in personally meeting with/talking to Harry than any other head coach recruiting him. The other schools have used email and assistants more than anything.

This is a big deal to recruits & their families. Kids like to feel the love from the main guy.

Again, I was told that Giles gave Manning the nod at the CP3/Timmy D scrimmage but also told him that he was going to take all of his OVs to other schools.

For many reasons, I believe the person who told me and have no reason to doubt his word.

Manning & staff need to close this deal- and that means they have to withstand K, Cal, and Ol' Roy.

And by Giles gave Manning the nod you mean what I hope you mean?

Geez.., we couldn't get in the top 5 for top 50 recruits with Bzz . They didn't even consider us. The one exception may have been Haas, and he saw the writing on the wall. We have made a lot of progress over the past 16 months . Dinos, Crab, Wilbekin on short notice, Moore, Crawford and Collins and now three shooters at PG, SG, and SF.

And if we don't get Giles, do you think any top-50 recruits are going to still consider us?

Back