• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

58790787.jpg

God bless the people that really believe there is a chance Harry puts on a Wake Forest hat today. I wish I was capable of the kind of positivity.

Barring having a highly successful/legendary coach taking the reins of the program, I think recruiting was going to be difficult for any coach for the first couple of years.

We have too much of a hole that Bz/Wellman placed us in to immediately rise up out of the ashes...including those highly successful or rising star coaches wanting to completely avoid the dumpster fire that our program had become.

What makes everyone here think that we automatically were going to be able to get top 25 talent to come to WFU just by changing coaches when these recruits have only watched Wake suck and flame out for the past 5+ years?

Getting Harry would definitely go a long way to breaking that cycle but the only reason we are even in the mix for him is because he is a hometown guy and our head coach was the #1 overall NBA pick and compares well to Harry as a player.

I am still giving DM the benefit of the doubt and waiting to see what happens with this year's season and next year's class before making any determinations.

Yes.

I was told by HG's former AAU coach (at my son's basketball training) that after the CP3/Timmy D game HG told Manning and Childress his felt like Wake was where he wanted to be but was very honest with them and said he needed to take all OVs.

I was also told that dook was pretty much a done deal until the end of April. At that point, HG began to rethink his decision and opened himself up to more talks with other coaches.

Thanks very much for sharing your information with the rest of us. What Giles reportedly said to Manning and Chill does sound like a "silent verbal" to me. It sounds like something a recruit would say when he do not want to deal with the full court press to make a decision, either because he is legitimately undecided, or because he doesn't want to disappoint the coaches he is talking to.

Getting Giles would have been great for next year. However, because he will be a one and done, no recruit other than the 2016 group already in the fold will ever play with him. Thus, his impact beyond 2016 would be felt only if Manning could parlay the increased exposure into further recruiting success. Obviously that is the hope, but a one and done guy does not fix a program on life support single handedly. That being said, it would have been exciting to see how much better he could have made the 2016 team.

ive said it from the beginning

Numbers is the superior twin from every conceivable measurable of what makes a human being human

Barring having a highly successful/legendary coach taking the reins of the program, I think recruiting was going to be difficult for any coach for the first couple of years.

We have too much of a hole that Bz/Wellman placed us in to immediately rise up out of the ashes...including those highly successful or rising star coaches wanting to completely avoid the dumpster fire that our program had become.

What makes everyone here think that we automatically were going to be able to get top 25 talent to come to WFU just by changing coaches when these recruits have only watched Wake suck and flame out for the past 5+ years?

Getting Harry would definitely go a long way to breaking that cycle but the only reason we are even in the mix for him is because he is a hometown guy and our head coach was the #1 overall NBA pick and compares well to Harry as a player.

I am still giving DM the benefit of the doubt and waiting to see what happens with this year's season and next year's class before making any determinations.
The expectation for the 2016 class wasn't to land a bunch of top 25 talent. It was to roughly replicate the 2015 class, at minimum. I think if we had landed 2 or 3 players in the 50-100 range, most everyone here would've been satisfied. Rankings aren't the be-all and end-all, but the class as it stands right now is pretty disappointing.

Getting Giles would have been great for next year. However, because he will be a one and done, no recruit other than the 2016 group already in the fold will ever play with him. Thus, his impact beyond 2016 would be felt only if Manning could parlay the increased exposure into further recruiting success. Obviously that is the hope, but a one and done guy does not fix a program on life support single handedly. That being said, it would have been exciting to see how much better he could have made the 2016 team.

If Giles (or any one else who turns into an NBA star) comes here, it helps not only for potential teammates, but for the next 20 years. No Wake recruit after our 2004 class was ever going to play with CP3, but a ton of them mention him as an influence.

The expectation for the 2016 class wasn't to land a bunch of top 25 talent. It was to roughly replicate the 2015 class, at minimum. I think if we had landed 2 or 3 players in the 50-100 range, most everyone here would've been satisfied. Rankings aren't the be-all and end-all, but the class as it stands right now is pretty disappointing.

How does our current 2016 class rank against our historic classes? Are we at "historical competitiveness"?!?!?!

Makes sense. I guess maybe the problem is that Danny probably swung for the fences on that top tier talent vs. maybe just the 75-100 guys and then realized later in the game that we couldn't land those guys yet.

DV7 has said it repeatedly: this is what to expect when you hire an unproven learn on the job head coach.

Manning needs to prove his coaching chops first

This is our collective problem because I don't see it.

I mean aside from Ben Howland, what proven head coach could we have hired? This was such a dumpster fire of a program, I don't know why anyone would have wanted it. The 4 years of that human pile of excrement killed us. Losing out on the number 1 recruit to a blue blood program doesn't mean Manning can't coach. If we are in the bubble discussion this year or better, we should feel like we have a fine coach in place.

The expectation for the 2016 class wasn't to land a bunch of top 25 talent. It was to roughly replicate the 2015 class. I think if we had landed 2 or 3 players in the 50-100 range, most everyone here would've been satisfied. Rankings aren't the be-all and end-all, but the class as it stands right now is pretty disappointing.

Wait, isn't the Woods/Mathias combo roughly 2 guys in the near 100 range? Woods not being a 2016 class member knocks the ranking down a bit, and of course missing on Giles. We were ranked what, 6th in the ACC last year recruiting-wise and will finish 9th this year without Woods counting?

Both classes will still end up higher than any class since McKie.

Back