• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

When we don't get HG the question will always be if we spent entirely too much time on him instead of focusing on players we have a better chance with. It's hard to say it's a mistake going after the best player in the country that lives in your city though.

If we don't get him, the better question will be whether it makes sense to hope for/expect top 50 players to sign with WFU, and whether it's logical for us to keep thinking we are within range, of the cusp, of near-greatness. The return on emotional investment in waiting for the big WFU turnaround is very, very low.

I'm torn between being furious we can't sign a great class and being furious at myself for still caring. It would be so much easier if we took the Wellman/historically-not-horrible approach.

If we don't get him, the better question will be whether it makes sense to hope for/expect top 50 players to sign with WFU, and whether it's logical for us to keep thinking we are within range, of the cusp, of near-greatness. The return on emotional investment in waiting for the big WFU turnaround is very, very low.

I'm torn between being furious we can't sign a great class and being furious at myself for still caring. It would be so much easier if we took the Wellman/historically-not-horrible approach.

Wake signed a top-50 player almost every year before Wellman hired [Redacted].

Wow, I step away for an hour and this thread has another 5 pages to it.

Manning is getting worked right now. No two ways around it, people. I'm still #ManningIn, but those who thought Howland would have been a bad hire and wouldn't be able to recruit, you is dumb.

BobStackFan4Life should return with a TOLD YA SO.

#RIPBSF4L

#bsf4lf4l

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...75401-eli-wright-commits-to-mississippi-state

Wright, a 6-foot-4 guard out of Owensboro (Ky.), picked MSU over Florida and Connecticut.
Wake wasn't even mentioned in the top 3 in the Scout article.

Go back to p. 485 of this thread. At one point, we were discussing McEwen's visit being moved up from September to August, one week after Wright. People speculated whether it was to push Wright. (And then people debated whether we should take both.) A poster with a source chimed in to say that while we were near the top with Wright, we weren't his favorite. Maybe the visit was moved up because the coaching staff already had an inclination.

Let's just all chilll and let the process play out.
Right, because I'd rather have 2 fringe top 200 guys instead of a guy who'll probably be in the top 75 in the new rankings. This is a huge miss. No two ways around it.

Even if the class is Childress, Washington, McEwen, Fernando (?), holy shit, relative to expectations people had for 2016, that's a pretty, pretty bad class. I'm not sure that would even rank in the top 45-50.

I think many here thought that we should be able to jump the step of actually having to show results on the court before we could reel in the top recruits again. Think we are seeing that might not be the case. Chicken or the egg kind of conversation but really hard to go up against the big boys with a poor recent track record and a head coach who is still proving himself.

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...75401-eli-wright-commits-to-mississippi-state

Wake wasn't even mentioned in the top 3 in the Scout article.

Right, because I'd rather have 2 fringe top 200 guys instead of a guy who'll probably be in the top 75 in the new rankings. This is a huge miss. No two ways around it.

Even if the class is Childress, Washington, McEwen, Fernando (?), holy shit, relative to expectations people had for 2016, that's a pretty, pretty bad class. I'm not sure that would even rank in the top 45-50.

"To go with coach Howland, Mississippi State had a secret weapon already on their campus. Wright's best friend -- Aric Holman -- will be a freshman at Mississippi State this coming season.
"Aric and I have been wanting to go to school together since we were little," Wright said. "Getting to go to school with my best friend is a great opportunity, plus everything else is just perfect."

Just let the process play out. But we absolutely could use a 4-star recruit here shortly.

this blows

at least the 90s and early/mid 2000s deacs had something to be optimistic about at some point.

damn, hg putting us first almost seems like a courtesy rather than serious interest

Based on the classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016, what would you say that this process is exactly?

You can't really judge Manning on the 2014 class. He came in the Spring and couldn't just pull in the best recruits in a month-period, most of whom had already committed elsewhere. However, we still pulled in Dinos, Mitch, and Crab - solid players. 2015, he got two 4-star guys and one 3-star PF, and late in the process. 2016 he's had a traditional amount of time to recruit. Certainly expectations were high for the class. There's still time. Let's just see what shakes out. Recruiting seems to change somewhat daily around here.

McEwen and Froling seem to be the best two players we still have a chance with outside of HG.

For those who haven't been keeping track of things:

Koby McEwen
6'3 PG/SG
Rivals: 4-stars/#106 overall
Scout: 3-stars/NR
ESPN: 4-stars/#70 overall/#12 PG
247: 3-stars/#212 overall/#40 PG

Offers: Wake, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Mississippi, New Mexico State, Utah State, and Eastern Kentucky. Official visits scheduled with Wake and Utah State.

Harry Froling:
6'10 PF
Rivals: No profile
Scout: 3-stars/NR
ESPN: No profile
247: No profile

Offers: Wake, Louisville, Clemson, UNLV, Creighton, Washington State, Boise State, and Saint Mary's. Froling is allegedly trimming his list sometime today (8/17).

Koby McEwen is a must sign player now and Utah State really should not be a problem head-to-head.
I think McEwen will get better offers/be shown more interest once some schools start missing on players. I highly doubt it will be between us and Utah State. Unless of course he just loves Wake on his visit and commits right then. That would be ideal. I'm worried about Baylor. Scott Drew is one sleazy motherfucker. Probably the biggest negative recruiter in the country.

I think many here thought that we should be able to jump the step of actually having to show results on the court before we could reel in the top recruits again. Think we are seeing that might not be the case. Chicken or the egg kind of conversation but really hard to go up against the big boys with a poor recent track record and a head coach who is still proving himself.

What success and on what court has Bruce Pearl had at Auburn or Avery Johnson had at Bama?

Danny Manning, for all of the positives surrounding him, has never been proven to be anywhere near as good a recruiter as Pearl. That's a stupid post.

Back