• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Look, even if we get Giles, we're only going to be really good for a year. We need a couple of players who are going to become stars by their junior season.

Look, even if we get Giles, we're only going to be really good for a year. We need a couple of players who are going to become stars by their junior season.

Careful Biff, you're getting close to the edge.

And I don't see where people are getting this "we'll be great if we can only land Giles for a year" stuff. Does anyone look how other top-half ACC programs recruit? I'm not saying we should be recruiting like Duke or UNC, but look at FSU and UVA. Getting Giles just makes us closer to what the hell an ACC team should look like.

Last edited:
Terrible plan. Don't think for a second we didn't want a better class all around. We're not getting them. Giles would be salvaging this class, but it doesn't make it a good one. Most of these guys won't be making an impact the year we (theoretically) had Giles and many of them will stick around alot longer. Are we going to need to sign the #1 recruit in every class to compliment our host of 3* shooting guards?

It's obvious that this wasn't the original game plan. We've been missing left and right lately on our top targets, so we are betting big on Giles and I don't really think the odds are good that we get him. Like I said before though, even if we can somehow land Giles and a legit center, that sets us up pretty well for 2016, but puts way too much pressure on recruiting well in 2017. I agree that that this is not sustainable, so it feels like we're going for broke with what's left on the table and punting to 2017. Giles or no Giles, it makes me nervous for the future, but 2016 is still certainly salvageable.

It's obvious that this wasn't the original game plan. We've been missing left and right lately on our top targets, so we are betting big on Giles and I don't really think the odds are good that we get him. Like I said before though, even if we can somehow land Giles and a legit center, that sets us up pretty well for 2016, but puts way too much pressure on recruiting well in 2017. I agree that that this is not sustainable, so it feels like we're going for broke with what's left on the table and punting to 2017. Giles or no Giles, it makes me nervous for the future, but 2016 is still certainly salvageable.

We're not that far apart. If it were me and we pull the rabbit out of the hat, I'd decommit anyone not named Childress and recruit the fuck out of the four months Giles was wearing a WFU jersey.

We're not that far apart. If it were me and we pull the rabbit out of the hat, I'd decommit anyone not named Childress and recruit the fuck out of the four months Giles was wearing a WFU jersey.

U dumb

If we get Giles were a top 5 ACC team. Getting Giles will certainly speed things up and trust me if we land the number 1 player in the nation the whole college bball landscape will notice. Its called momentum and once the 17 recruits and beyond will see we got Giles they will wanna join too. Stop freaking out people. Manning has us in the right direction.

Lot's of overreacting in both directions on this thread.

Although comparisons Bz are beyond stupid at this point, I do think that the damage the #BuzzIn crowd did to the fanbase and the program has people especially wary when they see attempts to justify what is undeniably a disappointing class (so far). However,

1. Anyone expecting a monster class this year did not have realistic expectations. If Giles weren't from Winston I think most on here would have expected a class somewhere between our 2010 and 2012 classes (as far as ratings)

2. Manning has actually given us some evidence that he might have the ability to rebuild a program by identifying value lower in the rankings.

The immediate results both on the recruiting trail and on the court are about what should have been expected when we hired an inexperienced coach with a high upside. But just because our AD has failed to meet reasonable expectations for over half a decade doesn't mean we should place unreasonable expectations on the guy our AD hired.

Doing so apparently causes people to ignore the obvious positive indicators of Manning's long term potential.

Which DC airport? Reagan National or Dulles? Cause he could have just been changing planes coming from elsewhere - like the west coast after getting Donovan Mitchell's commitment. Or from doing an in-home with someone not in the DC area.

He was at National in the cattle call that is Gate 35X. He was waiting for the US Airways flight to GBO and I was heading to RDU.

Also anyone who thinks that landing Giles would not be an absolutely game-changing moment for the program needs to walk away from this thread for a bit.

1. Hometown advantage or not, if Manning convinces Giles to come to Wake for a year that should be plenty of evidence of his recruiting chops.

2. The momentum from a year of Giles combined with Wake's built in recruiting advantages would be nearly impossible for a non-redacted coach to screw up.

It sounds like we've gotten a commitment from Aaron Rountree's replacement.

Look at the film. Totally different players. This guy is smooth with a good stroke, not herky jerky with a shot that needs total repair.

You don't think Crab is a solid ACC role player? Maybe not a "diamond" but certainly seems good enough. Wilbekin too for that matter.

You don't built a program with classes that max out at a diamond and some solid ACC role players. He shot 36% from the field last year. He was a role player on a bad ACC team last year.

You don't built a program with classes that max out at a diamond and some solid ACC role players. He shot 36% from the field last year. He was a role player on a bad ACC team last year.

They were also freshmen.

I can't imagine this board the day Giles decides, not matter what his pick his. A lot of talking away from the ledge

Lot's of overreacting in both directions on this thread.

Although comparisons Bz are beyond stupid at this point, I do think that the damage the #BuzzIn crowd did to the fanbase and the program has people especially wary when they see attempts to justify what is undeniably a disappointing class (so far). However,

1. Anyone expecting a monster class this year did not have realistic expectations. If Giles weren't from Winston I think most on here would have expected a class somewhere between our 2010 and 2012 classes (as far as ratings)

2. Manning has actually given us some evidence that he might have the ability to rebuild a program by identifying value lower in the rankings.

The immediate results both on the recruiting trail and on the court are about what should have been expected when we hired an inexperienced coach with a high upside. But just because our AD has failed to meet reasonable expectations for over half a decade doesn't mean we should place unreasonable expectations on the guy our AD hired.

Doing so apparently causes people to ignore the obvious positive indicators of Manning's long term potential.
This is not accurate

Manning recruited an awesome 2015 class, it is perfectly reasonable to expect the same or better level of recruits for 2016.

Bz's stupid super seven or whatever looks better on paper than our 2016 class right now

Back