• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

No we didn't. We still pursued and missed on 4 stars after they committed.

We did not choose either of them over a 4 star player

We recruited and took Dick Wash's commitment before recruiting was done for Eli or Koby. We committed and recruited him super early in the process.

And even Donovan was relatively early and not a desperation signing. There's still a lot of time left for desperation signings.

We still had scholarships when we were going after Eli and Koby. And even though they were ranked higher than Washington and it was still early, we still made Washington a priority.

Ranger had mentioned 2016 as a tryout for that class. Thats what I was referencing. And my point about the potential does not show we need to over-recruit them. What are you talking about. That's why recruited them in the first place early in the recruiting period. They were never supposed to play much their 1st year so what kind of frank conversation are they gonna have?

We're obviously recruiting 2017 and we'll obviously have at least 1 scholarship and if there's another scholarship I think the staff knows where it's likely coming from that doesn't include banking on having a frank conversation with a 2016 wing that's not likely to play much in 2016.

The indication seemed to be that we would have taken both Eli and Koby (even with Giles recruitment still outstanding). Mitchell committed after we missed on those two IIRC.

I think the staff should and is banking on having 4 or at most 5 returning wing players heading into the 2017 season (not counting recruits). My guess would be 4 (I think we will lose 2 this year and one next year, but could see that being flipped).

It would be very odd if the staff already had in mind which players might be transferring two seasons ahead of time, whether they are currently on the team or not.

I just don't think Manning should or will hold off on recruiting 2-3 players in 2017 if next November it hasn't become apparent who the odd men out on the wing will be.

We recruited and took Dick Wash's commitment before recruiting was done for Eli or Koby. We committed and recruited him super early in the process.

And even Donovan was relatively early and not a desperation signing. There's still a lot of time left for desperation signings.

I'll agree on Washington. I doubt we would have signed Donovan if we realistically thought we had a shot at a 4* wing player.

Manning recruited almost his entire 2014 class super late in the recruiting process, as we were desperate. Giving a player a desperation offer in the summer before their senior year is really dumb if that's what we did with Donovan. I think the staff is high on him.

We shouldn't have to over-recruit (by over-recruit I mean looking for players to take other players schollies) every year if we're recruiting well. And it's a super dumb way to build a team. I don't think that's what we're doing.

I'm basically saying that whoever isn't on the 2-deep at the end of next season will likely leave and hopefully make way for 2-3 top 75 players.

Here's my best guess at the 2-deep for next year:

Crawford, Childress
Hudson, Wilbekin
McClinton, Washington
Collins, Dinos
Moore, SJM

People are going to transfer, but even Rondale who is hopeless in the ACC didn't transfer after his 1st year.

If Hudson is still around, I think he'll start at the 3. Woods seems most undervalued by those around here, I think he's a likely candidate to start at the 2.

Manning recruited almost his entire 2014 class super late in the recruiting process, as we were desperate. Giving a player a desperation offer in the summer before their senior year is really dumb if that's what we did with Donovan. I think the staff is high on him.

We shouldn't have to over-recruit every year if we're recruiting well. And it's a super dumb way to build a team. I don't think that's what we're doing.

We're not. Our 2016 class is meh at best. That's partly on the staff for missing some guys and partly (mostly) on the last staff for leaving us in this position. I'm not going to call this class or any of our offers a mistake because I think the staff tried to make the most of our situation. But it would certainly be a mistake to not try and fix our situation by bringing in the best talent we possibly can.

Yeah but the staff likes them or we wouldn't have given them scholarships in the summer of 2015 when there was no urgent need to.

Les Johns on Rivals said that he is surprised at how excited the staff was about our 2016 recruiting class.

Richard Washington was a top priority for the staff.

I mean I'm down for signing top 20 wings regardless of schollies, hell even top 50. We'll see how the 2017 rankings and who we're attached to shakes out.

In on 1000 pages

TMLQ50l.gif

Last edited:
Back