• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I mean our entire team was out of position on one end of the court and Crab wouldn't have hindered the offense at all. He was capable of running the offense in a pinch. He hit a sophomore slump and apparently wasn't coachable, but he couldn't have been any worse at guarding wings than Wilbekin, Arians, etc.

If he could have sorted out the off court issues he would have been a net positive to last year's team.

If you aren't coachable, you can't help implement a fixed offense. BBall IQ was as critical as being coachable. If you can't figure out where to go in a set, you screw it up. We could not have afforded that last year.

On D, he freelanced nearly all of the time. He put his own teammates out of position to cover up for him.

He's player that sucks some in due to his physical attributes. Due to not being coachable, being a detriment to the team and having no bball IQ, we would have been worse off with him.

Yeah we used to call him The Human Turnover, he was horrible. He couldn't shoot and got in quick trouble whenever he faced on-ball pressure. He put together some decent games his senior year by just getting rid of the ball whenever anyone came near him, but for the bulk of his career whenever he touched the ball something bad happened. By all accounts a great guy, but not a starting ACC caliber player other than out of necessity.

Agree with some of this, but Murray's best year was his sophomore season where he started down the stretch. Played less as a junior and then when Skip came in to coach his senior season, Ervin did not play much at all (10th man).

Clearly, Murray was much more of an Odom type player (defensive focus) than a Prosser type player (offensive focus)... So the coaching change wasn't good for him. Also, we were better as a team.

Didn't realize the hate for Yung Crab was so strong. Like Ari Stewart he had a lot of wasted potential but still managed to contribute. I get that players like that are more frustrating than your Ervin Murray's, TVH's and Greg McClinton's, and sometimes they aren't worth the headache, but they certainly contribute a hell of a lot more than the likeable gym rats.

Didn't realize the hate for Yung Crab was so strong. Like Ari Stewart he had a lot of wasted potential but still managed to contribute. I get that players like that are more frustrating than your Ervin Murray's, TVH's and Greg McClinton's, and sometimes they aren't worth the headache, but they certainly contribute a hell of a lot more than the likeable gym rats.

It's not "hate". It's a realistic assessment of Crab. Even the coaches thought his presence was a detriment to the team.

Another thing to think about is, would Arians have come to Wake if he wasn't guaranteed a starting position? I doubt it.

Arians was a much better shooter than Hudson. His presence on the court gave JC a lot more space than having Crab on the court and being able to sag off of him.

By the way, didn't Crab also have problems at Angelo State?

It's not "hate". It's a realistic assessment of Crab. Even the coaches thought his presence was a detriment to the team.

Another thing to think about is, would Arians have come to Wake if he wasn't guaranteed a starting position? I doubt it.

Arians was a much better shooter than Hudson. His presence on the court gave JC a lot more space than having Crab on the court and being able to sag off of him.

By the way, didn't Crab also have problems at Angelo State?

I specifically said Crab without the off court problems. He wasn't dismissed because his presence on the court was a detriment to the team.

I know hypotheticals are hard for you but try to imagine a junior Crab who was a model citizen off the court and had regained and improved upon his end of freshman year form. That guy is the 6th/7th man on a good team that can play, and more importantly guard, 3 positions.

If Wright can come in and produce at the level of a focused Cornelius Hudson we should be pleased.

That's all I was saying.

I don't remember Point Crab.

I don't remember Point Crab.

It was a short lived experiment if I recall, I believe early his sophomore year. I can't remember the game off the top of my head but we definitely let him run the offense for a decent portion of the second half of at least one game.

Edit: it was the UCLA game when Crawford was out. Crab had 16/8/4 and 4 turnovers.

Last edited:
Crab was 2-12 that game, but managed to get to the line 16 times.

I specifically said Crab without the off court problems. He wasn't dismissed because his presence on the court was a detriment to the team.

I know hypotheticals are hard for you but try to imagine a junior Crab who was a model citizen off the court and had regained and improved upon his end of freshman year form. That guy is the 6th/7th man on a good team that can play, and more importantly guard, 3 positions.

If Wright can come in and produce at the level of a focused Cornelius Hudson we should be pleased.

That's all I was saying.

Have to make things personal don't you?

And if he had the basketball work ethic, IQ and drive of Michael Crabtree, he would have been an All-American and a lottery pick.

I know REALITY is hard for you, but a "focused Cornelius Hudson" is pipe dream as he was unable to do so for more than a game at a time. His play on the court more often than not harmed the team.

The reality is barring a massive turnaround, Crab would have hurt us on the court last year. But hypothetically having Crab bollocksing up our team could have meant JC returning, as our star's numbers would have most likely suffered greatly.

I'd rather compare him to a better ball-handling and shooting (but not as good on D) young Josh Howard. When Josh got to Wake, he could play multiple positions just like Sharone. Assuming he grows, Sharone is more likely to morph into a point forward than Josh was. But both are long, can play multiple positions and have high bball IQs.

Back