• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I kind of hope we're playing small unless we've got a true stretch 4. Sam Doral and Sarr rotating at the 5 with two wings (Hoard, Mucius, Brown, Melo) and two guards sounds pretty fun. We can run all day and perimeter defense will be excellent.

We will see if Sarr is a viable option at the 4; I certainly hope he is.

I was just pointing out a potential lineup that would include all RSCI Top 100 players. Sarr wasn't a RSCI top 100 player so he wasn't included.

He is foreign based player. He wouldn't get ranked.

wakelaw13; said:
I kind of hope we're playing small unless we've got a true stretch 4. Sam Doral and Sarr rotating at the 5 with two wings (Hoard, Mucius, Brown, Melo) and two guards sounds pretty fun. We can run all day and perimeter defense will be excellent.

Agreed.

And Hoard will start at the 4. Mucius is more of a guard than Hoard, though both are ideally big wings. I don't see Sarr as much other than a 5 for Wake.

The starting line-up in two years is Crawford, Woods, Brown, Hoard, and one of Sarr/SJM/Moore. If two of our bigs are both better than Woods, Brown, or Hoard, then things have gone really well or really poorly for us.

I couldn't disagree more about Sarr (barring growth), He runs the court like JC did. He has really nice form on his shot and even made a three at FIBA. His FT shooting is excellent which makes hitting other shots likely. He made at least two nice moves from the elbow and took the ball to the basket. He understands the PnR and could easily be taught to do PnP. His athleticism is also suited to being a PF.

The starting line-up in two years is Crawford, Woods, Brown, Hoard, and one of Sarr/SJM/Moore. If two of our bigs are both better than Woods, Brown, or Hoard, then things have gone really well or really poorly for us.

Chaundee's natural position is SG. Hoard's natural position is SF If Bryant returns, Woods will be our sixth man (possibly the perfect sixth man in this era).

It's a little strange to me that the people who think it wouldn't be a problem to have Hoard/Chaundee/Mucius play the 4, are the same ones who are adamant that Sarr could never play the 4, and vice versa. I get some people think smaller is better while others still want size, but in college basketball, it's really just about doing the most with what you have. Both strategies can work in today's game. Not having a natural stretch 4 isn't the best situation for what it looks like Manning is trying to do, but at least we have the option to either go small and athletic or big and athletic.

The last thing I'm worried about is Manning not being able to figure out what to do at the 4 and 5 positions.

Last edited:
Yep.

Senior Key is being underrated around here.

It's a little strange to me that the people who think it wouldn't be a problem to have Hoard/Chaundee/Mucius play the 4, are the same ones who are adamant that Sarr could never play the 4, and vice versa. I get some people think smaller is better while others still want size, but in college basketball, it's really just about doing the most with what you have. Both strategies can work in today's game. Not having a natural stretch 4 isn't the best situation for what it looks like Manning is trying to do, but at least we have options to either go small and athletic or big and athletic.

My position is taken on the basis that the light comes on for Doral or Sam. If it doesn't, then Sarr is our C. Sarr is way too good to keep on the bench. At the FIBA championships this summer, he was voted the NBA prospect. It baffles me how little some here seem to think about him.

From what I saw, if he played at a top US HS like Hoard did, Sarr could have been a Top 40 player.

Yep.

I read this as "Señor Key"
stock-vector-a-basketball-celebrating-cinco-de-mayo-by-dancing-with-maracas-a-sombrero-and-confetti-238333699.jpg

All of this talk about lineups and rotations for 2018-19 is a little (ok, a lot) premature. We have 3 guys coming in who have never played a second of college hoops, 2 guys (Mitchell & Washington) who played very little last year, and 3-4 guys coming in for 2018. Not to mention the possibility that Crawford (or even Brown) goes pro.

I have complete faith that Manning has a plan (or will figure it out).

Other random one-offs:
*I understand what you were saying, RChildress107. And it is definitely a step-up from where we've been.
*Nobody thinks little of Sarr... We just haven't seen him play and he's skinny. I tend to think he'll get a lot of minutes by the end of the year, but I think most are just being conservative given we have SJM/Moore/Sarr battling for minutes at the 5.
*I wonder if B-Chill gets annoyed/fired up when he hears things like, "all we need now is a PG."

Yep.

Not really. I think Key ideally comes off the bench as a shooter. If Crawford stays, we're looking at these rotations:

G: Crawford, Brown, Childress, Woods
F: Hoard, Mucius, Brown, Eggleston
C: Moore, SJM, Sarr

All 7 players split the 160 minutes. Eggleston gets the fewest (8-10). Crawford gets the most (28-32).

All of this talk about lineups and rotations for 2018-19 is a little (ok, a lot) premature. We have 3 guys coming in who have never played a second of college hoops, 2 guys (Mitchell & Washington) who played very little last year, and 3-4 guys coming in for 2018. Not to mention the possibility that Crawford (or even Brown) goes pro.

Other random one-offs:
*I understand what you were saying, RChildress107. And it is definitely a step-up from where we've been.
*Nobody thinks little of Sarr... We just haven't seen him play and he's skinny. I tend to think he'll get a lot of minutes by the end of the year, but I think most are just being conservative given we have SJM/Moore/Sarr battling for minutes at the 5.
*I wonder if B-Chill gets annoyed/fired up when he hears things like, "all we need now is a PG."

No. First of all, the PG will be 2 years behind him. Second, Devoe and especially Ayo could play SG beside Childress like Crawford does. Third, dude wants what is best for the program and his dad is out here recruiting guys who will make it happen. Fourth, he's going to be fired up regardless.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18- 2018 4* SF Isaiah Mucius commits to Wake Forest!

RJKarl; said:
I couldn't disagree more about Sarr (barring growth), He runs the court like JC did. He has really nice form on his shot and even made a three at FIBA. His FT shooting is excellent which makes hitting other shots likely. He made at least two nice moves from the elbow and took the ball to the basket. He understands the PnR and could easily be taught to do PnP. His athleticism is also suited to being a PF.

Sounds a lot like JC, who played center for us

And yeah, I'd definitely expect Key to start as a 5th year senior unless someone really blows up

Last edited:
No. First of all, the PG will be 2 years behind him. Second, Devoe and especially Ayo could play SG beside Childress like Crawford does. Third, dude wants what is best for the program and his dad is out here recruiting guys who will make it happen. Fourth, he's going to be fired up regardless.

"Annoyed" was the wrong word, I guess. I didn't mean that he's unhappy about us recruiting another PG... Of course that is going to happen. I just think it has to motivate him to hear teammates mention that we are just a PG away from competing for a national championship. I know it would fire me up.

I think Chill has a big year. The game started to slow down for him by ACC play, and he proved he was ready as a freshman. He's got a nice shot and really good handles. He's definitely my pick for biggest jump out of the sophomores.

Sounds a lot like JC, who played center for us

And yeah, I'd definitely expect Key to start as a 5th year senior unless someone really blows up

JC played center, because we had a full sized, experienced PF in Dinos and neither Sam nor Doral had stepped up. Plus JC's game hadn't evolved to having the outside game until near the end of the season.

If you noticed, the central issue to whether Sarr is our starting center or PF in 18-19 is whether or not Doral or Sam have claimed the center position.

Hoard is a 5* player. His natural position is SF. Barring none of the others being able to play PF, Hoard will get almost all of his 30 mpg at SF. Chaundee was a borderline 5* player. His natural position is the same as Key's and Chaundee will have a year of ACC experience. Add to that, Key's talents are perfect for being sixth man and it becomes more logical that he is the sixth man.

Other random one-offs:

RE Brandon - If Bryant doesn't return, then we absolutely need another PG. Brandon understands this.

Back