• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Really enjoying the discussions of Earvin Murray and Aaron Rountree this week.

Shaka's got lots of minutes available. He was probably going to get fired soon if he didn't drastically improve his record and bring in a strong class. He needed this class desperately.

Bamba: "Coach Smart may not have been aware of it, but I put him through a weeklong job interview last summer when he coached me on Team USA in Valdivia, Chile. We instantly formed a bond." Glad Danny is on the U19 USA Basketball staff this summer.

LOL. I'm sure a Team USA coach is aware they have a chance to impress top prospects.

Shaka's got lots of minutes available. He was probably going to get fired soon if he didn't drastically improve his record and bring in a strong class. He needed this class desperately.

Shaka has a Charlie Weis like contract- 8 years with the first 7 being fully guaranteed(roughly $22 million guaranteed). In addition, at the end of his first season he was given a one year extension. If they want to get rid of him it's going to cost them a boat load of money. And if I'm not mistaken they're still paying Rick Barnes' buyout.

Shaka has a Charlie Weis like contract- 8 years with the first 7 being fully guaranteed(roughly $22 million guaranteed). In addition, at the end of his first season he was given a one year extension. If they want to get rid of him it's going to cost them a boat load of money. And if I'm not mistaken they're still paying Rick Barnes' buyout.

In 2014-15, UT AD revenue was $179.6M ( http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-goldmine-longhorns-top-nation-again-in.html ). Shaka's buyout wouldn't bother them.

It was reported last year that there were some very unhappy big boosters there, and a lot of wondering out loud if he could make it in the big leagues, rather than doing OK at VCU, and making a little run or two in March as an underdog. They want to win now, and have the money to do what they want, when they want to do it. He seat was getting very warm with that 11-22 season and some really bad losses.

Last edited:
Yeah. They'll Strong-arm Shaka out of Austin if he doesn't succeed this year. Then Shaka will go to the Big East or AAC and kill it.

Lol wut?, Shaka is coming off one bad season. He took Texas to 20 wins in his first season there. Let my boy get a chance to cook. Shaka is going to win Natty's in Austin, that is for sure.

Shaka did better than "OK" at VCU. Only Brad Stevens had a better run at a mid-major in recent years.

Shaka did better than "OK" at VCU. Only Brad Stevens had a better run at a mid-major in recent years.

Yeah in six years Shaka never lost more than 12 games in a season at VCU, and never had a winning percentage less than .700. I'll call that better than ok, let's not be salty because he didn't want to coach at LOWF.

Shaka will be fine at Texas.

I fully expect him to be fine at Texas, assuming the boosters don't get impatient if he has another rough year. I think Shaka is a great coach. Just parroting what I suspect some of Texas' boosters were probably saying when it was reported last year that many of them were not happy. Losing something like their last 7 games and including Texas A&M at the end of the season, if I am remembering correctly, did not go over well in Austin.

Yeah in six years Shaka never lost more than 12 games in a season at VCU, and never had a winning percentage less than .700. I'll call that better than ok, let's not be salty because he didn't want to coach at LOWF.

Shaka will be fine at Texas.

Back on the Shaka bandwagon? I remember this a couple of years ago when you moved to ATX. Haven't heard much about it recently....

I fully expect him to be fine at Texas, assuming the boosters don't get impatient if he has another rough year. I think Shaka is a great coach. Just parroting what I suspect some of Texas' boosters were probably saying when it was reported last year that many of them were not happy. Losing something like their last 7 games and including Texas A&M at the end of the season, if I am remembering correctly, did not go over well in Austin.

I lost a lot of respect for him when his VCU team got crushed by Michigan in the 2013 tourney. That Michigan team was one of the least pressable teams I've ever seen in college (Trey Burke, Glenn Robinson III, Hardaway Jr. Mitch McGary, Caris LeVert, Zack Irvin, Nik Stauskas, Derick Walton Jr.) , and he would not get out of his full court press. Michigan had an NBA PG, and 4 tall guys that could handle the ball on the court at all times, yet Shaka continued to press and continued to get torched the entire game. I get that it's a bad match up, and pressing is what Shaka does, but at some point I think you've got to show a little creativity and adjust.

Last edited:
Back