• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

In what context does 40% not equal 40%?

If you are playing a basketball game and you have a 40% chance to win, you are a big underdog. If your horse has a 40% chance to win in a field of 10, you are a huge favorite. You'd much rather be a 40% favorite than a big underdog.

If you a 60/40 dog in a game, you are in a worse position than if you are 40% of five teams to sign someone if the next most likely is 25%.

If you can't understand the difference between being a big underdog and a significant favorite, there's not much to discuss.

Local take on Ayo's recruitment.
http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports...ive-offseason-hype-stories-seeing-every-year/

THE MUST-HAVE IN-STATE RECRUIT FOR ILLINOIS: Corey Maggette. Jon Scheyer. Sherron Collins. Julian Wright. Cliff Alexander. Jalen Brunson. Jeremiah Tilmon.
After so many historical, gut-wrenching misses of in-state stars in Illinois over the past 25 years (and a few hits –– i.e. Brian Cook, Frank Williams, Dee Brown, Jereme Richmond, Meyers Leonard), the attention turns to Morgan Park’s Ayo Dosunmu.
Here. We. Go … Again.
The 6-5 point guard has been a focal point for Illinois, both with the old John Groce staff and the new Brad Underwood staff. Illinois has been a constant in the Dosunmu recruitment for years.
But it hasn’t taken long for Underwood and his staff to feel the pressure other Illinois coaches have faced in trying to keep the state’s top player home. It’s not easy.
Illinois would have loved to have had Dosunmu, a top 30 prospect nationally, locked up before the recruiting stretch run of September and October when official visits are taken and crazy recruiting stories emerge.
Illinois has long been considered one of the small number of favorites for Dosunmu while others thought to be in there have faded a bit. But it appears official visits to Wake Forest and USC will first need to be taken. Is it for comparison sake? Is it to build drama? Is it legit? Is Illinois the leader?
The feeling here is Illinois is still in really good shape with Dosunmu, who is yet another in-state prospect being hailed as “the one.” But there doesn’t appear to a rush to end things quickly.
Illinois fans can feel some assurance in a few things that may help and ease their minds.
First, they are experts in following the chase of high-profile in-state recruits. Illini fans are pros at this by now. They’ve been down this road so many times they’ve become slightly immune to the hysteria surrounding in-state recruits (at least for now, in mid-September).
Second, there just isn’t a heavy hitter or “Blue Blood” in the lineup of schools that amps up the process or forces the issue for anyone. Yes, there is always a threat in recruiting no matter what school is in the mix and has put its best foot forward. But there isn’t a school on this list that will shut down the Dosunmu recruitment because they have better options on the table or force Dosunmu’s hand because of it.
And third, if Dosunmu does land somewhere else, they can take solace in knowing that the point guard position and perimeter is pretty stacked with Te’Jon Lucas, Mark Smith, Trent Frazier and DaMonte Williams all either freshmen or sophomores in the program.
What’s better? Being in the chase or not having anyone to chase? With the weak, paltry Class of 2012 a few years back, as an example, there wasn’t even a must-get recruit in Illinois for the Fighting Illini to chase. You always want to be in the sweepstakes for an in-state player of this magnitude.

You get the feeling there will be a massive meltdown if Illinois loses Ayo to LOWF.

If you are playing a basketball game and you have a 40% chance to win, you are a big underdog. If your horse has a 40% chance to win in a field of 10, you are a huge favorite. You'd much rather be a 40% favorite than a big underdog.

If you a 60/40 dog in a game, you are in a worse position than if you are 40% of five teams to sign someone if the next most likely is 25%.

If you can't understand the difference between being a big underdog and a significant favorite, there's not much to discuss.

In a horse race where you have a 40% chance to win who is the favorite, you or the field?

If you played 10 basketball games where you had a 40% chance to win, how many of those games would you expect to win?

If you were in 10 horse races where you had a 40% chance to win, how many of those races would you expect to win?

In a horse race where you have a 40% chance to win who is the favorite, you or the field?

If you played 10 basketball games where you had a 40% chance to win, how many of those games would you expect to win?

If you were in 10 horse races where you had a 40% chance to win, how many of those races would you expect to win?

Lol. Science.

Goddamn it, a multiple page derail every time a certain poster can't just take a joke and move on.

I am sure this has been addressed many pages ago, but what is the significance of the WhyNotMe? slogan for Ayo?

I am sure this has been addressed many pages ago, but what is the significance of the WhyNotMe? slogan for Ayo?

He hungry and feels he's underrated. See the tweet I posted above. He thinks he's going to be in the NBA 2k20 game, meaning he thinks he's going to be in the NBA in two years. His cover photo on Twitter is a tweet saying "[Ayo] is good but not a UK type player meaning a 1 and done." He's got that scrappy underdog "I'm disrespected" attitude we like.

Last edited:
Illinois just got another Crystal Ball for Ayo today. I know Crystal Ball can be wayy off, but dammit.

The more I see them, the more crystal balls are bandwagon.

Plus they look happier in the pictures with Danny. :)

Is it happening yet?
Somebody please PM me when it does.

What if all of our crystal balls for Mucius were based off of those guys reading posts on the boards from characters like CreamyGoodness and Bigboyyy?

I would be surprised if those guys don't read the boards.

I'll play the game Borzello is playing in regards to our recruits:

Mucius prediction- Wake 90%, X 10%
Devoe- Wake 70%, Fla 30%
Laszewski- ND 90%, Wake5%, UNC 5%
Ayo- Illinois 60%, X 10%, USC-5%, Wake- 15%, some late blue blood 10%

Back