• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Wright was offered by GT also as well as Clemson, Georgia, Ark, Kansas St, SC and with interest increasing from Miami, Fl. St. and Fla. He did not play AAU ball this past summer and played for a weak team before that, which partially explains his lack of renown to the analysts. Key thing to consider for him is his developmental upside along with more potential height growth, it just won't be as a freshman most likely

I'm really excited about Sharone. I think he's going to be an amazing player for us.

Yeah I know, which also is surprising to me (about the AAU team)

As someone who went to the same high school as Wright, I will say that the AAU scene in the low country is pretty slim pickins. You have to drive a long way usually to get involved in a decent team, and that isn't always feasible. Wright has a really high ceiling, and I love that his dad has played at the highest level. He was a great sign IMO, especially getting him to commit early and getting the class started. Always feels better to have a high quality player in the fold before anyone else has really started.

From the beginning I hoped for Wright, Hoard, and Mucius. I thought it was a long shot we would end up with all 3. Then we started hearing noise about Devoe, Ayo, and Laz. Still can't believe we got the first three, and if we add either Ayo or Laz (Laz looks very unlikely right now), it would be icing on the cake. Excited for the future.

Well said. We are getting three players who will be around 6-8 and can play multiple positions. And that's after getting one in Melo for this year.

The West Florence floor logo is amazing, BTW. #destiny

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4743929/sharone-wright-jr

Loved watching those videos. Hadn't seen a lot of that. Seems like he has some sneaky athleticism. Good form jump shot, but my guess is he is a year or two away from making an impact. Would look for him to contribute late sophomore early junior year with consistent minutes. Just my take on his development. His handle is pretty loose at times for a combo guard. If he does grow a couple of inches watch out though. 6'7" / 6'8" is a lot different from 6'4" / 6'5".

I talked with someone who coached him at the NBPA Top 100 camp in 2016 and he said he was going to be a very good player who can do a lot of things well, felt he was way under rated.

It was always a bit overblown. GT had a shoe deal with Nike and apparel only with Russell - so for basketball purposes this just means GT is going from being a minor Nike school to a more major Adidas school.

So they aren't really upgrading? Adidas gear is fucking putrid.

Definitely the wrong thread to have this discussion, but it has been a brutal week for the extended GT family.

I was responding to the comments about GT being an inner city school and some recruits being more comfortable in that environment. As you rightly point out, that campus has had a rough time lately. Some kids consider those type of events in picking a school. VT lost a BB commit to Maryland after the 2007 shootings.

And they should consider those type of events. It would certainly impact me as a parent sending my son or daughter to college.

And they should consider those type of events. It would certainly impact me as a parent sending my son or daughter to college.

It would be interesting to know how opposing schools are trying to exploit the Charlottesville events. That is a place I've never felt unsafe but adding the fringe outside groups into the mix may open the door to a challenge to the perception of UVa as an idyllic place.

Loved watching those videos. Hadn't seen a lot of that. Seems like he has some sneaky athleticism. Good form jump shot, but my guess is he is a year or two away from making an impact. Would look for him to contribute late sophomore early junior year with consistent minutes. Just my take on his development. His handle is pretty loose at times for a combo guard. If he does grow a couple of inches watch out though. 6'7" / 6'8" is a lot different from 6'4" / 6'5".

I'd love to see him at 6'7-6'8 and still be able to play the point. That would give us a huge advantage,

There was a major corruption probe by FBI and a USC assistant coach was arrested. Sounds like Ayo is between us and Illinois, but this can't hurt either.

There was a major corruption probe by FBI and a USC assistant coach was arrested. Sounds like Ayo is between us and Illinois, but this can't hurt either.

Lamont Evans was also involved. Evans was hired by former Ok State & current Illinois coach Brad Underwood for the 2016 season, after being with South Carolina beforehand. More details need to come out but with adidas, bribes to steer current players to sponsors after school, plus likely "shoe company recruiting" implications involved it is highly likely that some schools and head coaches will be getting the wrath of the NCAA upon them. But it seems like this is just the tip of the iceberg criminally so it'll be interesting to see where the DOJ goes from here.

On a related note, this gives the NCAA perfect cover to let UNC off with a slap on the wrist. "We have massive recruiting and eligibility fraud to deal with so we disposed of all prior investigations with agreed upon lowered sanctions to expedite the process."

Last edited:
Also, this Landers Nolley to VT thing just started after multiple weeks/a month+ of him looking to be an Illinois lean. Teenagers change their minds quite frequently. Such as when Ayo had Memphis among the top schools and had an in-home with Tubby Smith, only to eliminate them and have OK State make the final 7 when they were never really even mentioned with him that much before.

Regardless of the likelihood of landing him, if a 5* Ayo wants to take an official, you make it the best damn official visit you've ever seen and let the chips fall where they may. Bring in Hoard, bring in any former Deac PGs now in the NBA that might just "happen" to be in the area, etc. It probably won't matter in the end but who knows, crazy shit happens during & after official visits.
This definitely seems different after today.

Last edited:
Back