• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

DePaul sucks but is in the city. Brand new downtown arena from Rahm, so they're not playing way out in Rosemont any more.

Jon Rothstein was in Chicago & visited both practices of Depaul & Northwestern. There seems to be some buzz w/ Depaul having the new arena & 4 transfers that will play in 18-19. Northwestern has sold the most tickets in program's history & coming off a controversial loss in round of 32 to Gonzaga. Illini basketball is barely a blip on the people of Chicago's radar.

With no inside sources, but just from what I gather from tweets, etc I will be surprised if Ayo doesn't choose Wake.

Of course it is just speculation, but as far as minutes played of the bigs, I would predict that it goes Thompson, Moore, SJM, & then Sarr. Collins played 35% of the minutes in his frosh season & I can easily see Sarr not getting that much run.

I guess we will see. Big men are also much different from guards when it comes to readiness for college basketball and the pros. It is not surprising to see a big man take 2-3 years to develop into his potential, whereas guards often come out of high school much more prepared to compete. Collins is a great example of that. I hope we have MANY more examples to pull from in the future. This year I hope that example is Doral Moore.

Big guys seem to develop more slowly than the smaller guys. Sometimes they take until senior year to "get it." (See Visser, Kyle as an excellent example.) Bigs who are ready to play at a high level usually go to the NBA before they learn where all the buildings on campus are. And bigs that are really ready are rare. NBA drafts many bigs on "potential" rather than production and actual readiness.

Don't want to be another Ben Simmons. You saw how great he made a mediocre team

Don't want to be another Ben Simmons. You saw how great he made a mediocre team

Simmons still got drafted and paid. But I suspect he didn't have as much fun in his college time as he would have if the team was better and had more success, and maybe even got to play in the NCAA tournament.

Wake 2018-19 with everyone committed as of now should be a highly likely participant in the 2019 NCAA BB tournament. Only question should be seeding.

Agree, not a great analogy. UNC basketball is the most important sports team in Charlotte. Illinois basketball is the... 5th most important sports team in Chicago? Bulls, Bears, Cubs, and White Sox

Shit, the Blackhawks is a more important sports team to people in Chicago than Illinois basketball is. Probably Notre Dame football and Indiana basketball too, you could argue.

This is why the least important stat for HS PG (who doesn't go to a factory prep school) is turnovers. True PGers will see you being open before you do. Many times a top level PG will have other kids on his team that aren't that good and this creates turnovers.

Translation- "Recruit the point guards with the worst assist-to-turnover ratios" #rjstats

The really best point guards adjust their passing to the level of the guys they play with. They don't try the spectacular pass if they know the recipient can't handle it.

If Wake steals Ayo, they are going to lose it. I really don't think anyone here will bat an eye if we miss on Ayo simply because I think most of the people here (I might be assuming....) feel like if he doesn't commit to us it is his loss.

This. Feels nice.

The really best point guards adjust their passing to the level of the guys they play with. They don't try the spectacular pass if they know the recipient can't handle it.

It's not about being spectacular. They see openings when their teammates don't realize they are open. Simple back cuts and where the defense is playing also comes up.

A friend of mine is a pretty big Illinois fan/alum. He doesn't have any inside info as far as I know, but he told me that he thinks there is a pretty good chance that Ayo picks Wake. All of their other recruits going elsewhere is starting to take its toll.

I wonder who the head coach will be at Illinois next season if Ayo commits there. Maybe that's part of their pitch - "Underwood is caught up in this so we'll let you pick whoever you want as coach."

There's no actual info yet tying him to wrongdoing but his assistant has been caught and I have a feeling that the crap is hitting the proverbial fan in the next batch of allegations.

Last edited:
I wonder who the head coach will be at Illinois next season if Ayo commits there. Maybe that's part of their pitch - "Underwood is caught up in this so we'll let you pick whoever you want as coach."

There's no actual info yet tying him to wrongdoing but his assistant has been caught and I have a feeling that the crap is hitting the proverbial fan in the next batch of allegations.

One interesting thing to watch for will be if a bunch of kids, whether committed or not, hold off on signing the LOI next month. A wait-and-see approach might be wise. FBI investigations don't get resolved quickly and I won't be surprised if there aren't any more indictments before the early signing period.

I can't wait until Ayo picks Illinois and I spend the next few months hoping for news that Brad Underwood is implicated. That seems healthy.

One interesting thing to watch for will be if a bunch of kids, whether committed or not, hold off on signing the LOI next month. A wait-and-see approach might be wise. FBI investigations don't get resolved quickly and I won't be surprised if there aren't any more indictments before the early signing period.

latest I saw was the next round of indictments was coming in the next 1-2 weeks

Ayo has retweeted a couple more pro Wake tweets in the last hour. Retweeted 2 of Danny's posts

Ayo has retweeted a couple more pro Wake tweets in the last hour. Retweeted 2 of Danny's posts

I mean, goodness. Those are some pretty significant retweets. Before it seemed like Ayo would just retweet anything mentioning him, whatever the source. These have nothing to do with him and everything do with Wake and he's retweeting it.

latest I saw was the next round of indictments was coming in the next 1-2 weeks

That would be best for the recruits, to see where there is fire to go along with what is sure to be a lot of smoke being blown.

Back