• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

agree with Wrangor 100%. i think with a few more years of getting the last coach's stink off the program we will bring in a lot more of the high level recruits. '17 and '18 class could be just the beginning!

Yes. Really have to give Danny and the whole staff props for putting in the work on the recruiting trail.

We expected to see that from Chill. You might beat him but you won't outwork him. We saw that in his playing career. Now we see it on the recruiting trail.

Danny was a bit more of an unknown as to how hard he would work, but he has really put in the work, running from Winston to Chicago for a few hours with Ayo. (Among many other trips.) I'm guessing the other two assistants are working just as hard, keeping up with the boss.

Yes. Really have to give Danny and the whole staff props for putting in the work on the recruiting trail.

We expected to see that from Chill. You might beat him but you won't outwork him. We saw that in his playing career. Now we see it on the recruiting trail.

Danny was a bit more of an unknown as to how hard he would work, but he has really put in the work, running from Winston to Chicago for a few hours with Ayo. (Among many other trips.) I'm guessing the other two assistants are working just as hard, keeping up with the boss.

I always have a little skepticism with coaches who were generational type talents. You wonder if they really understand that work ethic necessary to be a great coach, and wonder if they can have the patience to teach 'lesser' players the game. Danny seems to check yes on both of those boxes. As he has stated several times in his interviews, I think his playing career (and particularly his battles with injuries) has uniquely prepared him to be a college basketball coach. Perhaps the best sign for me as a fan was how long Coach Manning was willing to stay at Kansas and work his way up the food chain. I was going to type 'it is almost unheard of', but in fact it is not almost, it is completely unheard of. Danny is a top 5 college basketball of his decade, and he was willing to stay multiple years learning the business and doing some grunt work so that he could build his coaching foundation. That is really cool and in my opinion is a key part of his story as he goes into homes to convince mothers, fathers, and players that he is the right choice to help them reach their goals.

I always have a little skepticism with coaches who were generational type talents. You wonder if they really understand that work ethic necessary to be a great coach, and wonder if they can have the patience to teach 'lesser' players the game. Danny seems to check yes on both of those boxes. As he has stated several times in his interviews, I think his playing career (and particularly his battles with injuries) has uniquely prepared him to be a college basketball coach. Perhaps the best sign for me as a fan was how long Coach Manning was willing to stay at Kansas and work his way up the food chain. I was going to type 'it is almost unheard of', but in fact it is not almost, it is completely unheard of. Danny is a top 5 college basketball of his decade, and he was willing to stay multiple years learning the business and doing some grunt work so that he could build his coaching foundation. That is really cool and in my opinion is a key part of his story as he goes into homes to convince mothers, fathers, and players that he is the right choice to help them reach their goals.

Agreed. It is also unusual for a guy who has made as many dollars playing as Manning has. Very few players who have been paid millions of dollars want to become low paid assistants that have to try to cajole teenagers to come play for him. It requires a rare level of perspective and humility.

I don't care what our odds were of landing Ayo were when Manning took the second visit, but one of the things I love best about our current staff is that we aren't afraid to go after a high level recruit even if it means we end up the bridesmaid. We have been competing for top players since the day Manning arrived. He and Chill especially have scoured the country looking for great players to coach, and as our program has improved, our recruiting rankings have improved. But since day 1 we have spent recruiting equity on some high targets. We have had more misses than makes, but even in this scenario for Ayo, we have given ourselves a real opportunity to sign him, and it is a complete result of our coaching staff's work ethic on the recruiting trail. I hope that Wake Forest fans realize the level of commitment our staff is showing. There are a lot of very good coaches out there who would not be putting in the grunt work that our head coach and our associate head coach are putting in, and it is finally starting to show dividends. If we pull off this recruiting upset (and that is exactly what it would be considering where we were 4 months ago), then our staff deserves every bit of praise the fan base and our athletic department can muster (and probably every bit of a raise....). Our coaches are doing work.

Totally agree. Also, props to Wellman and overall athletic administration for giving Danny and staff the financial support to recruit kids from all over the country.

Totally agree. Also, props to Wellman and overall athletic administration for giving Danny and staff the financial support to recruit kids from all over the country.

No props to Wellman ever. Never forgive. Never forget.

That bastard should have been sent away with [Redacted].

Because of his (and the entire staff's) diligence I will make every trip that I possibly can down from Ohio to Winston to see this team play. Butts in seats is a great show of support. That's why the Joel looked like Detroit during [name redacted's] waste of time. Exciting times ahead again. Now, AYO, #wewillhangit next to Duncan, Paul, Mugsy, Griffin and all of the others.

Agreed. It is also unusual for a guy who has made as many dollars playing as Manning has. Very few players who have been paid millions of dollars want to become low paid assistants that have to try to cajole teenagers to come play for him. It requires a rare level of perspective and humility.

It's not about getting into coaching. It's about staying in coaching.

Nope. No props to Wellman.

haha probably fair, but as a Purdue fan as well, they almost lost their coach bc of the penny pinching AD who prevented Matt Painter from doing things like Danny is doing.

So, someone deserves some sort of credit in the upper administration. Maybe not Wellman though, but someone!

I've forgiven Wellman (but not forgotten) but that's got nothing to do with Ayo. Hope he's missing Wake's campus right now. It will always feel like home, Ayo.

haha probably fair, but as a Purdue fan as well, they almost lost their coach bc of the penny pinching AD who prevented Matt Painter from doing things like Danny is doing.

So, someone deserves some sort of credit in the upper administration. Maybe not Wellman though, but someone!

Painter had enough pennies to fly to Alabama to steal a cherished commit from us.

Could we maybe whimsically recant our best wins instead of our worst losses?

and play for one of the most legendary players in NCAA tournament lore

And play for one of the most legendary players in ACC tournament lore......who happens to be a guard.
Hey Ayo.....Chill out!

I keep hearing comments about Ayo’s decision being like Simmons, Fultz, and Giles. Those guys were top of their class and #1 type picks in the NBA Draft (Giles the exception due to injury).

I don’t think Ayo is quite at that level. I don’t think he can go to a dumpster fire of a team and get lottery buzz.

Another reason it makes sense to join what should be a better (or at least more talented) team.

An Ode to Ayo

Five-star guard Ayo Dosunmu visits Champaign this weekend!

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...n-horton-tucker-landers-nolley-brad-underwood

The best part is the lone comment.

Only a select few can be legends

Ayo can go to Wake Forest and be another good player or he can come here and be a legend. A Dee Brown/Deron Williams/Nick Anderson/Kenny Battle or Kendall Gill type player. Us old timers (50) remember the great ones at Illinois and always will. They had the guts to come to a program that was trying to climb the hill and took it to the top. They are worthy of our admiration for years. Anyone can go to Kentucky or Duke and win. Winning big at Illinois makes you a legend.

So cringe-worthy, but onky because I remember making the exact same argument re: Harry Giles...almost word for word. Ironically we're like Duke now??? I think this is a moment for all to stop, reflect and recognize how far we've come in the Danny Manning era.

Back