• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Since I don't track the lives of young boys, I am not afraid to admit I know nothing. However, it seems like just yesterday there was another recruiting situation where one team was currently clearly a stronger program with better coaching, talent and a better track record of putting kids in the league, vs another team who's vibes were solely based on hometown bias and coaches and local yokels relationship with the family. How did that turn out?

Woods sat out a year, so he'll be in position to graduate after this year. Him wanting to leave after this year and start making money certainly makes some sense.

Wanting to and being able to are two different things. I suppose he might think his stock isn't getting any higher with another year.

I have been relatively negative on the Ayo vibes the whole time... Impressed that Manning got us to the final 2 pretty late in the game, but the fact that Ayo scheduled an announcement event (vs. just announcing on twitter) and has been tweeting/re-tweeting nothing but Wake Forest stuff makes me think there is no chance he comes to Wake.

I hope I am wrong. Would obviously love to have him.

THe first part I get. The second part I don't.

When I said "by the way" I was 100% positive that Harry Giles was going to Duke, and he had known for quite some time that this was the case.

It appears that in this case Wake Forest is legitimately in the picture when the decision is being made. That was not the case for Harry Giles in the least.

I explained my rationale for why I believe he is going to Illinois and stated my opinion on the matter. If you feel that's a hedge then that's your own prerogative.

It was a joke about hedging and about "by the way"

The idea that Crawford has gone from not even testing the draft waters to 95% gone in the course of five months strikes me as being rather far-fetched. Exactly three juniors went in the first round this past year. Jackson was the ACCPOY on the eventual national champions, one was a big guy who quadrupled his production from the year before, and Kuzma was another big who saw a 50% increase in production. Even in the second round, you're mostly looking at POY types (Brooks, Williams-Goss, Ojeleye), two of whom were in their fourth year already, and another big (Bell) with a significant jump in his stats. The only outlier is Sumner, who had a bizarre and injury-riddled career.

The point about him being what he is and beginning his professional career earlier applied with equal force to Justin Gray, L.D. Williams, Travis McKie, and every other Wake senior who was good enough to play professionally but didn't have a realistic shot at the NBA. To my knowledge, we've lost a senior once to a non-NBA professional league, and Dinos was a bit of a special circumstance. That's not a compelling argument for 95+% of college players nationwide.

Maybe there are circumstances I'm not aware of, or Crawford has already told the staff he had a sudden change of heart after not even going through the draft process last spring, but that rumor seems built more on WF Charlie Brown syndrome and general panic monkeyism than any real line of reasoning.

In any event, if Ayo goes to Illinois like a dumbbutt, we should just get Jalen Lecque to reclassify. Then add Harris, Balsa, and our choice of other top-five prospects and win the whole thing while Illinois gets bounced in the first round of the CBI by Eastern Montana State

Crawford looked like a pro while Woods and Brandon were impressive as well. Keyshawn was shooting deep threes like Wayne Eillington who is now with his seventh NBA team. Sarr has a very high ceiling and not just because he's seven feet.

I'm just glad the announcement is at 8pm tomorrow night... That way, I can immediately soothe the pain with some sweet Oakland Raiders TNF home dog action.

Everyone knows Ayo is goin to Illinois, not sure Ayo is creating more suspense by retweeting a bunch of Wake stuff but ok.

Everyone knows Ayo is goin to Illinois, not sure Ayo is creating more suspense by retweeting a bunch of Wake stuff but ok.

Literally no one knows this. Good call though. Hell, Ayo might not even know yet - plenty of athletes have made last minute decisions the day/night of an announcement.

The idea that Crawford has gone from not even testing the draft waters to 95% gone in the course of five months strikes me as being rather far-fetched. Exactly three juniors went in the first round this past year. Jackson was the ACCPOY on the eventual national champions, one was a big guy who quadrupled his production from the year before, and Kuzma was another big who saw a 50% increase in production. Even in the second round, you're mostly looking at POY types (Brooks, Williams-Goss, Ojeleye), two of whom were in their fourth year already, and another big (Bell) with a significant jump in his stats. The only outlier is Sumner, who had a bizarre and injury-riddled career.

The point about him being what he is and beginning his professional career earlier applied with equal force to Justin Gray, L.D. Williams, Travis McKie, and every other Wake senior who was good enough to play professionally but didn't have a realistic shot at the NBA. To my knowledge, we've lost a senior once to a non-NBA professional league, and Dinos was a bit of a special circumstance. That's not a compelling argument for 95+% of college players nationwide.

Maybe there are circumstances I'm not aware of, or Crawford has already told the staff he had a sudden change of heart after not even going through the draft process last spring, but that rumor seems built more on WF Charlie Brown syndrome and general panic monkeyism than any real line of reasoning.

In any event, if Ayo goes to Illinois like a dumbbutt, we should just get Jalen Lecque to reclassify. Then add Harris, Balsa, and our choice of other top-five prospects and win the whole thing while Illinois gets bounced in the first round of the CBI by Eastern Montana State

Nah RJK says he is gone. He is gone.

So Ayo is building the Illinois love by re-tweeting wake stuff only to pretend to swoop out of wake (acc) clutches to save the hometown team? Makes as much sense as anything a high school kid might do. It certainly could be considered "brave" to risk playing for a losing record bottom of your league team and hoping that gets you enough juice to make the jump.

#sauce? It's pretty unlikely he'll get a 1st round draft grade. Guess he may not care.

A 1st round grade isn't the only measure dictating whether or not a kid will leave. If his draft stock is unlikely to soar by staying another year, he'll leave, as he should.

A 1st round grade isn't the only measure dictating whether or not a kid will leave. If his draft stock is unlikely to soar by staying another year, he'll leave, as he should.

I don’t think that’s nearly as common place as your certainty suggests.

If he wanted to build more suspense, wouldn't he have just kept his "final" list at 5 or 6 schools? And then retweeted USC stuff, Xavier stuff, etc.?

I think the difference between Crawford & guys like J Gray & those other examples is that it has become much more common for athletes to graduate in 3 years. If BC graduates from Wake & has a chance to stick around to play again or go play somewhere for $$, isn't the logical choice to go get paid?

I think the difference between Crawford & guys like J Gray & those other examples is that it has become much more common for athletes to graduate in 3 years. If BC graduates from Wake & has a chance to stick around to play again or go play somewhere for $$, isn't the logical choice to go get paid?

Who's the last Wake basketball player to graduate in three years?

And, no, the logical choice is to come back and win the national championship with Hoard, Mucius, and non-dumbbutt Ayo (if applicable)

Back