• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Kinda sucks for college basketball that coaches have to waste an incredible amount of time and money courting 17-year olds that will probably go elsewhere. And if they do ultimately show up on campus, they'll probably only be there for 9 months.

I don't think THT's visit is anything more than a courtesy visit before he commits to Iowa St.

I don't know if I'll be banned just for admitting this but I'm an Illinois fan.. I've always rooted for Wake since I don't like Duke and North Carolina and I understand it's been a long road to recovery since the tragedy of Skip Prosser passing. A friend of a friend (Chas Mcfarland) played there at the time and I talked about that with him a few times while partying together.

I think being spurned by all these other Chicago kids (and even Nolley) is going to help Illinois oddly enough for once. Ayo's pitch is, in part, becoming the core of a bringing Illinois back to the level it was at 10-15 years ago. I'm sure that's part of the pitch Danny Manning was making a couple years ago himself and he's successfully done it.

I'm sort of surprised by the snark towards Illinois... Before Bruce Weber piledrived the program with his inability to recruit Illinois was among the top big ten basketball program and playing at a high level consistently. Been a long decade after finally getting rid of Bruce and replacing him with a recruiting clown that shouldn't coach a group of 5th graders.

Brad Underwood was considered a great hire by most pundits.. Solid coach who will play a fun brand of basketball. Luckily he hired Coleman or I don't think we would have any shot with Ayo.

As far as Mark Smith is concerned he's a very high ceiling player.. Was a Mizzou baseball commit until basically late last year and lingering shoulder issues for a pitcher made him decide to switch sports and focus on basketball.. Basically went from a 3*NR to a 4* fringe top 50 kid (on rivals where Bossi actually went and saw him because he was destroying the state of Illinois). Averaged something like 28/9 and won Mr. basketball over some other top 50-100 kids. He has the body of an nba guard right now with great size/athleticism.

Anyways this will probably be my one and only post on here but still will root for you guys minus recruitments or games we go head to head. Manning seems to have you guys going in the right direction.

:popcorn::popcorn: go on.......

I'm sort of surprised by the snark towards Illinois... Before Bruce Weber piledrived the program with his inability to recruit Illinois was among the top big ten basketball program and playing at a high level consistently. Been a long decade after finally getting rid of Bruce and replacing him with a recruiting clown that shouldn't coach a group of 5th graders.

This msg board thrives on snark, but have you read some of your fans' drivel on the "loyalty" board...just drips with condescension and delusion. Like another orange & blue school I know to the north.

Welcome to the Part-Ay-oh!! Thanks for being less condescending and maintaining some degree of perspective.

Kinda sucks for college basketball that coaches have to waste an incredible amount of time and money courting 17-year olds that will probably go elsewhere. And if they do ultimately show up on campus, they'll probably only be there for 9 months.
certainly does

college hoops and the NBA should have a go pro out of hs or stay in college for three years, i.e. stay long enough to get close to a degree, while far from perfect that would probably serve everyone's interest better than the current situation

And to follow up on this - another legit point is that THT is now visiting Illinois this weekend. It's been fairly well known that Ayo and THT did not want to play in college together. Chin Coleman was also involved with THT through the Mac Irvin AAU Circuit. There is a decent chance that Ayo is making his decision in advance of THT's visit to indicate he is not going to ILL so that THT could potentially commit there.

That said, THT seems like he's more interested in ASU, but he did just add this official to ILL.

How do we know they don’t want to play together?

How do we know they don’t want to play together?

It's been discussed on the Illinois boards. Their "insiders" were claiming that the two wouldn't be playing together. THT switched AAU teams rather than sticking with Ayo. It was also discussed by that Chicago reporter yesterday in the radio interview. Said Illinois might have been trying to mend fences but he didn't see it happening.

Good to know that asshole never changed.

Quite the contrast with the Cliff Alexander wikipedia page for Chas. Here's the whole thing:

Chas William McFarland (born November 1, 1986) is an American former professional basketball player for the Akita Northern Happinets of the Japanese bj league.[1] The 7-footer was the tallest Happinets player and took over the "air supremacy". [2] He was kicked in head by Niigata forward Rodney Webb and broke his nose in March 2014. [3][4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chas_McFarland

I was a Chazzzz fan because every other fan base loathed him. It was refreshing to have the annoying white guy for once.

Just so I'm clear, Chas is an asshole because he parties? So if you go to parties you are now an asshole? Just want to make sure I know how this works.

No he's an asshole because he's an asshole. That he still "parties" is not surprising in the least.

Quite the contrast with the Cliff Alexander wikipedia page for Chas. Here's the whole thing:

Chas William McFarland (born November 1, 1986) is an American former professional basketball player for the Akita Northern Happinets of the Japanese bj league.[1] The 7-footer was the tallest Happinets player and took over the "air supremacy". [2] He was kicked in head by Niigata forward Rodney Webb and broke his nose in March 2014. [3][4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chas_McFarland

Makes sense why he played there.

No he's an asshole because he's an asshole. That he still "parties" is not surprising in the least.

Hah sorry I wasn't exactly clear with that tidbit. This was 9-10 years ago back when he was going to Wake.. He was home for the holidays. May have been christmas break the year Skip passed? He was always friendly to me which is all I really cared about. Couple times guys brought up Skip passing (which wasn't real cool in my eyes) and he tried to keep that experience short. You could tell he wasn't comfortable talking about it nor should he have really been asked to do so.

"Just wait for that first crystal ball to Wake......."

It will suddenly turn into BIG time VIBEZ if a CB turns our ways. So now we wait and watch??? So buckets - when do you see the first CB switching??? Tonight, tomorrow am or tomorrow afternoon????

So let's see, Ayo's twitter banner smacks of feeling "picked over" by a blue blood like KY and ostensibly others in that class. But who did in fact offer Ayo?

Here they are per 24/7:

WF
Illinois
USC
Butler
B.C.
Cincy
UConn
Creighton
F$U
Ga Tech
UI-Chitown
Iowa ST
Kansas
Marquette
Memphis
Mizzou
NCSU
N'western
ToSU
Okie St
St Johns
SMU
TA&M
UNLV
UTEP
X

So he throws out the actual hometown school(s), but supposedly wants to play close to home. Other than KU, there is no other traditional blue blood on that list. Not even a traditional top school in the B!G unless you include ToSU, and Wisky never offered. So I guess you could say that he wants to stay in-state and lead UI back to its rightful place among the B!G Eleventeen powerhouses, thumbing his nose at Izzo, Beilein et al for not showing interest. But won't wins and notoriety be harder to come by if Illinois still needs another year (yes Mark Smith will be very good, but the 2017 class hasn't played a minute yet and they are thin up front)?

And aren't there more blue bloods to prove yourself to by playing Dook, UNC, ND, UVa, Cuse etc?? ACC TV exposure is as good as any (if not better as the ACC bias is real with more NCAA picks than they probably deserve most years) and Danny knows how to put guys in the league. Not to mention Chilldress would make a perfect guard mentor for his talents at a University with a nice little rep for excellent NBA guards over the last 3 decades. And lest we forget all the new state of the art facilities, an upgraded arena and a team that has all the other pieces needed and already assembled for a serious deep run in the NCAA Tourney.

Other than the relationship of his family with Chin Coleman, and a much larger array of female co-eds, not sure I see why Illinois should be such a sure thing. Why you wouldn't choose the plug-and-play option of WFU for a quick springboard to the NBA is beyond me, but I can see the desire to let your family enjoy your meteoric rise and emergence as a pre-eminent BB force in the B!G Twelve North.

This is such a strange juxtaposition of choices straight up. This would make a lot more sense to me had he cut his list to 4, taken an OV at ToSU and USC, then tickled everyone's hopeful fancies, before running into the arms of the adoring orange & blue spattered overalls of the University of Urbana-Corn Champaign.

I just hope Ayo's best interests and wishes are in fact at the top of the decision-making pyramid because he will surely thrive in Danny's system, playing alongside studs like Hoard, Sarr, Zeke and Chaundeac et al. Underwood seems like a very good coach, but it's still only his 2nd year. Danny & company are now entering their 4th and things are falling into place. Wake seems like the safer choice, but when you're young, supremely talented, and very confident, I suppose it doesn't matter where you go. But then why even consider Wake? Why not Ohio State or N'western, who is in a similar place -- program development wise -- to Wake, or slightly ahead under Chris Collins?

Last edited:
Hah sorry I wasn't exactly clear with that tidbit. This was 9-10 years ago back when he was going to Wake.. He was home for the holidays. May have been christmas break the year Skip passed? He was always friendly to me which is all I really cared about. Couple times guys brought up Skip passing (which wasn't real cool in my eyes) and he tried to keep that experience short. You could tell he wasn't comfortable talking about it nor should he have really been asked to do so.

sounds like an asshole though, because he ya know, parties? YOU asshole, you partied with him! How DARE you!

Back