• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Except the staff played him exclusively at the 4, and he had no chance of ever being a 3 in the ACC because he was too slow. Regardless he would've been of more value as a pick and pop 4 off the bench than the current offer is as a backup 5. Mitchell's offensive rating and defensive rating actually went up this year despite the regression seen by most players on this team. Not saying he's a huge loss or would've been our savior but I'd rather keep a guy who can develop himself under shitty coaching during a down season, because those are the type of guys that come off the bench and surprise you by the time they are seniors.

But sure Manning defenders, lets talk about this brilliant offer, potentially locking up a non-ACC caliber 5 for the next four years. That's great recruiting strategy! Or if he doesn't work out (most likely) he can transfer after 2 and keep DM's attrition % high. This is a blatant last-minute scramble bad offer, if you can't see that you should stay off the recruiting boards.

It’s almost like we lost our best two options at the 4 and the staff was scrambling to find a solution. And isn’t it odd how all of these project big men develop themselves under Manning’s shitty coaching. The only explanation is that Manning prints out 247’s rankings, cuts off the top 50 and then throws darts and offers whoever he lands on. I’m sure his pick will run out soon.

Facepalm

Jesus Christ. Every coach outside of the blue bloods routinely fills out their roster by taking flyers on low ranked guys they think might have potential. Most of those guys end up sucking, transfer out, and are replaced by similar throw aways. Occasionally, however, they pan out.

Are you new to college basketball or something?

I would be fine with getting some high level 3 star kids. But also we did get tony and ty walker and they did pan out also as melvin tabb and ari stewart

This is great. Even when a guy gets better, it's not because of the coaches.

I'm 100% right on this. You think DM had anything to do with his shot getting better, or was it Mitchell putting his own time in? You think playing 11mpg helps his development? Most of the team regressed, if DM takes any credit for 3 players improving, then he should take credit for 10 players regressing - a net loss.

You guys really love supporting a winner, I can tell. No wonder this basketball program is a bottom-feeder with fans that have such a laissez-faire attitude towards shitting coaching and losing. And it will be the same morons next year, that when I say "I told you so" will say no DM needs 1 more year.

Facepalm

Jesus Christ. Every coach outside of the blue bloods routinely fills out their roster by taking flyers on low ranked guys they think might have potential. Most of those guys end up sucking, transfer out, and are replaced by similar throw aways. Occasionally, however, they pan out.

Are you new to college basketball or something?

Did you even play basketball? I'd bet money you didn't.

This. Regardless of how you define it, Mitchell plays the same position as Hoard and Mucius, both top 100 recruits.

Well rumors are that we’ll be playing hoard at the 4 so there’s definitely no need for another out of position small forward. Where are you getting that Mitchell was ranked outside the the top 250? I recall that he was in the 140’s similar to Rountree and that people were pleasantly surprised when manning landed him.

I'm 100% right on this. You think DM had anything to do with his shot getting better, or was it Mitchell putting his own time in? You think playing 11mpg helps his development? Most of the team regressed, if DM takes any credit for 3 players improving, then he should take credit for 10 players regressing - a net loss.

You guys really love supporting a winner, I can tell. No wonder this basketball program is a bottom-feeder with fans that have such a laissez-faire attitude towards shitting, coaching, and losing. And it will be the same morons next year, that when I say "I told you so" will say no DM needs 1 more year.

You forgot the commas

Well rumors are that we’ll be playing hoard at the 4 so there’s definitely no need for another out of position small forward. Where are you getting that Mitchell was ranked outside the the top 250? I recall that he was in the 140’s similar to Rountree and that people were pleasantly surprised when manning landed him.

I've got a composite avg of 178-180ish. It will hurt not to have Mitchell off the bench because we will suffer from a dearth of reliable shooting depth. Hopefully Chaundee can become a bit more consistent with the outside shot considering he has a beautiful looking stroke and release.

You guys really love supporting a winner, I can tell. No wonder this basketball program is a bottom-feeder with fans that have such a laissez-faire attitude towards shitting coaching and losing. And it will be the same morons next year, that when I say "I told you so" will say no DM needs 1 more year.

I am calling Russian bot on this poster. Amiright?

Plenty of areas to shat on Manning for this past season, including irregular rotations that didn't allow the 6-10 guys on the roster to get consistently comfortable in their roles. However, and again, this is exasperating because it is a huge wtf for me - big man coaching is the only area of non-concern.

Let's review so this Russian botter can get his story straight from his warehouse in St. Pete (a super nice warehouse btw, everything is beautiful in St. Pete, amiright russian bot?):

Mitchell came in as a bouncy 3 from California. Did not play much against elite competition. Got here and played no minutes. Put on weight ostensibly to play the 4 as he learned and we learned that he was too slow to play the 3 in a power 5 conference. He seems to have lost a little athleticism with the added weight. To make matters worse, he was a young frosh, so asking him to move to the 4 was a tough ask. That said, it was OUR only option. He can't guard the 3 realistically and his options at any pro career (Europe) lie in his body filling out and playing a pick and pop 4 and/or a stretch 4. He had a good but inconsistent stroke.

in Year 2, he had grown into his body, still looked young, and was not in elite level shape (so nobody can brand his improvement on strength and conditioning as I would give them a fair to good rating for their work with Mitchell). Low and behold, he had improved. His shot was essentially the same, but he was learning to be a 4 who could actually guard the lane some and bang and fight for rebounds. Despite inconsistent minutes, he came in improved and improved through the course of the season.

Seeing how the staff worked well with John Collins, who had a dramatic improvement from frosh to soph year, and this year with both Moore (dramatic improvement from last year to this year in all aspects, particularly fitness) and the before mentioned Mitchell.

Manning is fair game for a lot of reasons, but Russian bot dude, refusing to grant him a few skillz makes your arguments obviously intended to create chaos, derision, and division. This is why I am able to so easily out you as the russian bot you are. If you wouldn't mind sharing your borscht recipe, I would greatly appreciate it.

scottyson posting in both BB and FB recruiting threads to hype up local kids with no pages or ratings on any recruiting site will never not be funny

Braswell is very much a wing and not a PF... Fits the mold of what I feel like Manning would like to have a roster full of. But seems like a reach in this class, given Hoard, Mucius, and Melo are already on the roster.

"South Carolina High School League 5A high jump champion with a 6'6” jump."

I like that, though.

I am calling Russian bot on this poster. Amiright?

Plenty of areas to shat on Manning for this past season, including irregular rotations that didn't allow the 6-10 guys on the roster to get consistently comfortable in their roles. However, and again, this is exasperating because it is a huge wtf for me - big man coaching is the only area of non-concern.

Let's review so this Russian botter can get his story straight from his warehouse in St. Pete (a super nice warehouse btw, everything is beautiful in St. Pete, amiright russian bot?):

Mitchell came in as a bouncy 3 from California. Did not play much against elite competition. Got here and played no minutes. Put on weight ostensibly to play the 4 as he learned and we learned that he was too slow to play the 3 in a power 5 conference. He seems to have lost a little athleticism with the added weight. To make matters worse, he was a young frosh, so asking him to move to the 4 was a tough ask. That said, it was OUR only option. He can't guard the 3 realistically and his options at any pro career (Europe) lie in his body filling out and playing a pick and pop 4 and/or a stretch 4. He had a good but inconsistent stroke.

in Year 2, he had grown into his body, still looked young, and was not in elite level shape (so nobody can brand his improvement on strength and conditioning as I would give them a fair to good rating for their work with Mitchell). Low and behold, he had improved. His shot was essentially the same, but he was learning to be a 4 who could actually guard the lane some and bang and fight for rebounds. Despite inconsistent minutes, he came in improved and improved through the course of the season.

Seeing how the staff worked well with John Collins, who had a dramatic improvement from frosh to soph year, and this year with both Moore (dramatic improvement from last year to this year in all aspects, particularly fitness) and the before mentioned Mitchell.

Manning is fair game for a lot of reasons, but Russian bot dude, refusing to grant him a few skillz makes your arguments obviously intended to create chaos, derision, and division. This is why I am able to so easily out you as the russian bot you are. If you wouldn't mind sharing your borscht recipe, I would greatly appreciate it.

First off, I bet I am currently closer to LJVM than you are. Secondly, I am not arguing that Manning cannot develop big men, in fact I have said before he can. Mitchell's development had nothing to do with big man coaching. Your assessment of Mitchell is spot on except where you give credit. Developing your body and shooting a high percentage in game does not come from a head coach of a basketball program, it comes from individual effort in the weight room and putting shots up in the gym. Lastly, my arguments have nothing to do with creating division, because as you can easily see across numerous topics on this board 80-90% of the posters would prefer Manning not be our coach, so I would say arguing against the pro-Manning crowd puts me in the solid majority.

First off, I bet I am currently closer to LJVM than you are. Secondly, I am not arguing that Manning cannot develop big men, in fact I have said before he can. Mitchell's development had nothing to do with big man coaching. Your assessment of Mitchell is spot on except where you give credit. Developing your body and shooting a high percentage in game does not come from a head coach of a basketball program, it comes from individual effort in the weight room and putting shots up in the gym. Lastly, my arguments have nothing to do with creating division, because as you can easily see across numerous topics on this board 80-90% of the posters would prefer Manning not be our coach, so I would say arguing against the pro-Manning crowd puts me in the solid majority.

This is exactly what a Russian bot would post. Please, again, the borscht recipe. Desperate for cooked beets here.

I’m not sure what’s so hard to understand about this. Yet you don’t seem to grasp it.

Stacked position? We don't have any real PFs on scholarship at all. He also would've been the highest returning 3p% shooter on the roster from this past season. Lorng is not a strong recruit at all, and is not even ACC caliber. Mitchell was one of the few bright spots on this year's team as he actually developed and showed potential. You should quit defending indefensible positions, it gives you no credibility.

His 4 stars and other offers say otherwise.

Wait are you suggesting that player development requires conscious choice and action from the player? Crazy.

I would guess that 100% of the board would prefer Manning not be our coach.

Back