• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

All im saying and been saying is when healthy Lewis COULD be the best PG on our roster, now thats a big IF but im stickin by it.

All im saying and been saying is when healthy Lewis COULD be the best PG on our roster, now thats a big IF but im stickin by it.

When he gave his verbal commit, he legitimately should have been part of any conversation about the best point guard on the 2018-2019 Wake roster. He was nationally ranked as the #5 point guard. But that was two years and multiple injuries ago.

With the lack of playing, either his last year in Atlanta or last year in Vegas, he is rather more a question mark at this time. How close is he to what he was pre-injuries two years ago? How much (or how little) has he progressed, or has he regressed from what we've seen from his soph year?

We won't really know the answers to these questions for a while. We will know he isn't good pretty quickly. We won't know the upside until probably January 2019. He has widest variance in possible outcomes of any player in the recruiting class. The range, IMHO is from never plays because of yet another injury all the way to better than Crawford as a PG. My guess is that if he can play, he will get spot minutes at PG in 2018-2019.

I see shoulder & ankle injuries were reported earlier. Both can be long recoveries to get strength & range of motion back so that kind of explains the time away-especially if multiple surgeries were involved.

We are going to be really good next year most games with either experienced talent or 4 star kids getting 95% of our minutes. If we aren't good, we'll change coaches. At this time next year, almost all of us will be excited one way or another.

There is no excuse for us NOT to be really good at least 20 times. Hoard is the real deal IMO and if one other frosh steps up and provides frosh-Chaundee like production, we're going to be okay. Soph-Chaundee is going to be really really good. Think somewhere between Bruce Dalrymple circa 1985 and Iguadala circa 2005.

Loved Woods but I think we will be addition by subtraction because of the discontent and because he was such a defensive liability. The Mitchell transfer hurts IMO. He was going to get 15 important minutes. I would love to know how Woods went from locker room leader his redshirt year to mature discontent 2 1/2 years later. Does not speak well of staff. Or him.

Viva la Deacs!

We are going to be really good next year most games with either experienced talent or 4 star kids getting 95% of our minutes. If we aren't good, we'll change coaches. At this time next year, almost all of us will be excited one way or another.

There is no excuse for us NOT to be really good at least 20 times. Hoard is the real deal IMO and if one other frosh steps up and provides frosh-Chaundee like production, we're going to be okay. Soph-Chaundee is going to be really really good. Think somewhere between Bruce Dalrymple circa 1985 and Iguadala circa 2005.

Loved Woods but I think we will be addition by subtraction because of the discontent and because he was such a defensive liability. The Mitchell transfer hurts IMO. He was going to get 15 important minutes. I would love to know how Woods went from locker room leader his redshirt year to mature discontent 2 1/2 years later. Does not speak well of staff. Or him.

Viva la Deacs!

On the rosy side for sure, but pretty much this.

Just because you’ve taken a negative position on a coach doesn’t mean you have to take a negative position on every aspect of that coach and every development with the program, and vice versa.

Manning’s flaws are obvious and one can see how they might torpedo our chances at success, both next year and in the future. No one denies that.

But his strengths are obvious as well, and one can see how they might lead to our best run of success in a decade. Yet plenty of people deny this.

What are Manning's obvious strengths?

What are Manning's obvious strengths?

He has a pretty good track record of finding and developing bigs. Multiple guys at Kansas. Collins and Mitiglou so far at Wake. Moore looking like he is making good progress, to the point where some are wondering if he will get drafted in 2018. Olivier Sarr next up.

Player identification and development, inbounds sets, overall offensive game plan.
That's why 3/4s of the 2016 class transferred or got kicked off the team by the end of their soph seasons. Nope, not an obvious strength.

That's why 3/4s of the 2016 class transferred or got kicked off the team by the end of their soph seasons. Not so obvious.

Wut?

I love the wake fan mindset that recruiting or hiring a coach is as simple as it is in a video game. It’s ok to admit that he did a good job of finding talent outside the top 100 and that he’s done a good job developing project big men. He’s not the best ever at either, but he’s strong at both

The Mitchell transfer really hurts. He would have been a heck of a senior for us in my opinion. It is guys like him that we need to keep and develop. Woods leaving us a bunch of meh for me, but I hated to see Mitchell depart.

The Mitchell transfer really hurts. He would have been a heck of a senior for us in my opinion. It is guys like him that we need to keep and develop. Woods leaving us a bunch of meh for me, but I hated to see Mitchell depart.

I'd agree with this. But I'm not sure what the future looked like for Donovan. I saw him as a potential 3, not a 4. He was never going to have the size to play the 4. But I'm also not sure he had the lateral quickness to be a 3. He had the hops and the straight line speed though definitely. I was just hoping to see more of him at the 3. Seemed like a smart player and had developed a nice shot though.

Woods just doesn't have the size or athletic ability to be a main contributor on a good team.

Woods was the 3rd leading scorer for a First Four team. I think he could be a main contributor on a good team if healthy.

I'd agree with this. But I'm not sure what the future looked like for Donovan. I saw him as a potential 3, not a 4. He was never going to have the size to play the 4. But I'm also not sure he had the lateral quickness to be a 3. He had the hops and the straight line speed though definitely. I was just hoping to see more of him at the 3. Seemed like a smart player and had developed a nice shot though.

Woods just doesn't have the size or athletic ability to be a main contributor on a good team.

Donovan had a nice stroke and some skill that clearly could be developed. A good coach will find a way to play him to his strengths rather than worry about some archaic style that struggles to figure out if he's a 3 or a 4.

Back