• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Also don’t know why you’re so fixated on scoring. Plenty of players score a lot that are role players.

Here’s a good example:

2017 wake forest: Keyshawn Woods is a role player. “Decent” team to you, more than decent to most. Simplified: role player on a good team.
2018 wake forest: Keyshawn Woods is a significant contributor. Wake sucks. Simplified: “main contributor” on a not good team.

Woah.

You’re twisting yourself in knots to disagree with me. It’s cute.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - '18 PF Christian Lorng commits! Jamie Lewis sighting

You couldn’t even figure out what I was saying but now you know I was wrong. Hilarious.

I’m sure Wellman appreciates you trashing a soon to be alum to show your loyalty on these message boards.

Dilly dilly!

No I understood fully the entire time. And you were wrong the entire time. Lol.

Trashing a guy who was a role player on a good team by calling him a role player on a good team? Sounds pretty soft to me.

Still #undepheated after being proven wrong. Hilarious.

What did you prove?

“I am CharlotteDeac! I declare Keyshawn Woods was a role player! I have proven you wrong!”

What did you prove?

“I am CharlotteDeac! I declare Keyshawn Woods was a role player! I have proven you wrong!”

You’re too much sometimes. It really is humorous. I disagreed with you, citing clear statistics of him being a role player on a good team and significant contributor on a not good team (even though you’ve probably made up your own definition of main contributor so you can be right in your own mind. Would be typical Ph.). I’ll take things that actually have happened over your immense basketball Pheelings.

And the statistics are that he was a role player is ‘17 and a significant contributor is ‘18, per KP “% of possession used”. Sorry, should’ve made that more clear since it’s common practice for you to post BS rather than backed by something real and tangible. I’ll be sure to add a full description of everything next time so you’ll get it.

You’re too much sometimes. It really is humorous. I disagreed with you, citing clear statistics of him being a role player on a good team and significant contributor on a not good team (even though you’ve probably made up your own definition of main contributor so you can be right in your own mind. Would be typical Ph.). I’ll take things that actually have happened over your immense basketball Pheelings.
Where? I must've missed it.

19.4% in % Poss in 2017 vs. 22.8% in % Poss in 2018 is a "clear", significant difference to you? Sounds like some feelings over facts to me. He was a main contributor both years in my opinion.

19.4% in % Poss in 2017 vs. 22.8% in % Poss in 2018 is a "clear", significant difference to you? Sounds like some feelings over facts to me. He was a main contributor both years in my opinion.

Considering one is listed as a role player and one is listed as a significant contributor, I don’t think that’s my feelings. Maybe is Ken’s feelings?

Yes, considering he's using a somewhat arbitrary 20% threshold, it is KenPom's feelings that you've decided to douchely pass along as fact. By your logic you're saying Chaundee was a main contributor this year. The 3rd leading scorer is a main contributor in my book. And we weren't good last year. Maybe slightly above average. Meh.

Last edited:
BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - '18 PF Christian Lorng commits! Jamie Lewis sighting

Yes, considering he's using a somewhat arbitrary 20% threshold, it is KenPom's feelings. By your logic you're saying Chaundee was a main contributor this year. The 3rd leading scorer is a main contributor in my book. And we weren't good last year. Maybe slightly above average. Meh.

Yes, but I’d rather use kenpom’s pretty commonly used threshold by the general basketball audience than Ph’s made up threshold based on nothing (at least nothing to this point) outside points scored.

He was a role player because Collins ate up that %poss as an elite player. So to be a better team you’d either need a player to be elite like Collins or another player that is a significant contributor and better than Woods (unless you think Woods is going to improve not only on this year, but his even better last year. Which is also a fine opinion, but I disagree with it).

IMO, Woods is a sixth man. Your sixth man can score a lot of points but that does not mean he is more than a role player. His role is scoring points/shooting.

Thank you for actually setting out an argument and discussing it civilly. It is much appreciated.

Edited: oops, turns out your edit was not civil. So take back that last statement lol.

Last edited:
The problem is you smugly post stuff like "I’ll take things that actually have happened over your immense basketball Pheelings." when nothing you're posting is facts themselves. It's all feelings, too. But yay, congrats on backtracking.

The problem is you smugly post stuff like "I’ll take things that actually have happened over your immense basketball Pheelings." when nothing you're posting is facts themselves. It's all feelings, too. But yay, congrats on backtracking.

In response to someone smugly posting their feelings saying they said something different for people who couldn’t seem to understand. If someone is respectful to me, I’ll be respectful back. Pretty simple.

Why are kenpom statistics not considered reliable, or facts, but Ph’s feelings are? I get that the threshold is his opinion, but it is an opinion that has been commonly adopted in the basketball world. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Edit: direct quote is “dumb something down” when all I was doing was disagreeing with a completely arbitrary opinion. Could’ve easily been a civil discussion if he wasn’t a douche defending his stance to begin with.

Last edited:
I don't put much weight into something that has freshman Doral and freshman Chaundee as significant contributors. I guess you have them as main contributors on those teams? Where is solely using Poss % as a way to categorize a player's contributing level "commonly adopted in the basketball world?" It's obviously just a quick, cheap way by KenPom to group players on teams to improve readability for the site. I'm sure he would agree it's flawed (and I'm sure he didn't think anyone would put so much stock in it). Maybe you should send Ken an email to improve the formula and possibly include % Min and other variables since it seems to mean a lot to you.

I don't put much weight into something that has freshman Doral and freshman Chaundee as significant contributors. I guess you have them as main contributors on those teams? Where is solely using Poss % as a way to categorize a player's contributing level "commonly adopted in the basketball world?" It's obviously just a quick, cheap way by KenPom to group players on teams to improve readability for the site. I'm sure he would agree it's flawed (and I'm sure he didn't think anyone would put so much stock in it). Maybe you should send Ken an email to improve the formula and possibly include % Min and other variables since it seems to mean a lot to you.

Kenpom is pretty commonly used in the basketball world, yeah. I didn’t know this was new knowledge to people. And I get that it’s flawed - as most things are in some way, but it’s assuredly significantly less flawed than Ph’s definition, whatever that definition may be (points, I think?). Maybe what we should do instead of emailing Ken, we should just get Ph to develop a new formula/algorithm? Or just get him to label players however he may feel is fit and see how much traction that gains?

Back