• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Kenpom is pretty commonly used in the basketball world, yeah. I didn’t know this was new knowledge to people. And I get that it’s flawed - as most things are in some way, but it’s assuredly significantly less flawed than Ph’s definition, whatever that definition may be (points, I think?). Maybe what we should do instead of emailing Ken, we should just get Ph to develop a new formula/algorithm? Or just get him to label players however he may feel is fit and see how much traction that gains?
What? Why the straw man? We're specifically talking about how KenPom quickly categorizes players, not other aspects of KenPom.

The rest of your post is more feelings. How is just using Poss % "assuredly significantly less flawed" than just using total points scored? They're both just feelings.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - '18 PF Christian Lorng commits! Jamie Lewis sighting

Using a commonly used, statistics-based basketball site that categorizes players based on his ideology - which is widely used in the basketball world - is considered my personal feelings and the same as designating a player how you may please based on how many points he scores? Weird.

I can both recognize kenpom as not perfect and consider it much more reliable at categorizing players than Ph’s categorizing.

If you want to take that stance, go right ahead. As I’ve said multiple times, you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want to have. Don’t be a huge douche about it, as Ph always is, and I won’t be a douche back. Plain and simple.

The first two posts are finally updated. We need a new scholarship chart, but everything else should be up to date. (Mods, I had some trouble editing the first post for some reason.)

Using a commonly used, statistics-based basketball site that categorizes players based on his ideology - which is widely used in the basketball world - is considered my personal feelings and the same as designating a player how you may please based on how many points he scores? Weird.

I can both recognize kenpom as not perfect and consider it much more reliable at categorizing players than Ph’s categorizing.

If you want to take that stance, go right ahead. As I’ve said multiple times, you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want to have. Don’t be a huge douche about it, as Ph always is, and I won’t be a douche back. Plain and simple.
So you're calling freshman Doral and freshman Chaundee significant contributors on those teams? You've yet to state how using Poss % is "assuredly significantly less flawed" than just points scored and are just being dense now. Sorry for muddying up the thread, y'all. Deuces.

So you're calling freshman Doral and freshman Chaundee significant contributors on those teams? You've yet to state how using Poss % is "assuredly significantly less flawed" than just points scored and are just being dense now. Sorry for muddying up the thread, y'all. Deuces.

You can use them in context with other statistics to make a judgment, such as %mins. (Compare how often they’re on the court with how often they’re used while on the court).

Doral, for example, had few minutes freshman year but when he was on the floor he was used a lot. That’s where the flaw in his formula (in this specific discussion) arises, but it doesn’t pertain to Keyshawn and anyone with some sense could look at those stats and conclude Doral was not a significant contributor freshman year.

I could hear an argument both ways for Chaundee, considering he’s right on the border of the threshold this year but toward the end of the season he did assert himself and handle the ball a lot more (creating his own shot/driving to the basket). At the beginning of the season I would’ve considered Chaundee a role player, but he developed into a significant contributor as the season progressed.

And so we’re clear, I could hear an argeument that he was a “significant contributor” on the ‘17 team. That isn’t the argument though.

The argument was that he’d be a significant contributor on a team better than that, which I firmly believe he would not. Keyshawn Woods is a good role player on a very good basketball team, nothing more.

Why are you discussing whether Woods was a significant contributor or not on the recruiting thread? Who cares? Would be nice to actually see posts about recruiting on this thread.

And so we’re clear, I could hear an argeument that he was a “significant contributor” on the ‘17 team. That isn’t the argument though.

The argument was that he’d be a significant contributor on a team better than that, which I firmly believe he would not. Keyshawn Woods is a good role player on a very good basketball team, nothing more.

At least you’re admitting that this whole discussion is about opinions and you can’t “prove” anything.

Why are you discussing whether Woods was a significant contributor or not on the recruiting thread? Who cares? Would be nice to actually see posts about recruiting on this thread.

Would not mind a new recruiting thread with our agreement not to take this line of discussion there.

This is awful, guys. Take your pissing contest to one of the dozens of other threads on the subject.
Based on his last posts, it appears Charlotte has finally taken the L, so we can move along.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - '18 PF Christian Lorng commits! Jamie Lewis sighting

Based on his last posts, it appears Charlotte has finally taken the L, so we can move along.

And lol?? Not sure how you concluded that, like most things. I get the negative Nancy brigade has to stick together though.

Why are you discussing whether Woods was a significant contributor or not on the recruiting thread? Who cares? Would be nice to actually see posts about recruiting on this thread.[/QUOTE

There are no posts regarding recruiting due to a combination of 2019 looking like a miserable recruiting year, and unfortunately this board lacks any insiders who have a clue of what is going on.

And lol?? Not sure how you concluded that, like most things. I get the negative Nancy brigade has to stick together though.
If you can't see the contradictions in your last posts, I don't know what to tell you. Let's move along.

If you can't see the contradictions in your last posts, I don't know what to tell you. Let's move along.

That there are cases that don’t fit and that’s why it’s not a perfect formula? Even though it applies to Keyshawn and is significantly better than yours and Ph’s pheelings, but you’re entitled to your opinion? Interesting you could contort that to fit your narrative.

You’re right, move along. People read what they want to read. There’s no sense in trying with either of you, especially when someone disagrees with a feelings opinion and the immediate reaction is to go mega-douche mode. Really great guys.

Has there ever been a more insufferable poster than Charlotte?

Maybe from the old days before I was around? Taking nominations.

Offensive game plans? I've watched Wake basketball since 1962 as a little kid and played high school ball at a high level and I can't figure out what Manning is doing on offense the vast majority of the time. Please enlighten me as much of what I see is standing around, way too much dribbling and a panic drive for a desperation floater at the end of the shot clock more often than not. There is no discernible 'offense'. I see no ball reversal, no high pick and roll consistently, no pass and screen away, no weave. I just don't see it. Watching us play on offense is more organized chaos than anything else. Defense is even worse.

Then you haven’t watched us play. He had the 6th best offense in the nation a year ago.

Back