• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

None of y'all know how close either player is to graduating. Moore will eventually play pro somewhere, as that is what 7' athletes do for the foreseeable future. Whether it's the NBA remains to be seen. But if he is about to graduate early this spring or about to finish up this summer, then maybe he doesn't want to be a "grad student" playing basketball at Wake anymore. For that matter, both of them might assess where their draft stock is, find out from some talent evaluators and scouts where they stand and go from there. Which very likely could mean graduating ahead of schedule and moving the eff on. As a 21 y/o rising senior with some pro BB prospects, I'd much rather enjoy Europe than hang around Winston and the lame-ass millennial students who don't seem to give a shit about attending BB games anymore.

If either Doral or Craw (or both) want to play BB in Europe instead of coming back to Wake, the amount of college work either one would need to get their degree is pretty far down the list of things to consider.

None of y'all know how close either player is to graduating. Moore will eventually play pro somewhere, as that is what 7' athletes do for the foreseeable future. Whether it's the NBA remains to be seen. But if he is about to graduate early this spring or about to finish up this summer, then maybe he doesn't want to be a "grad student" playing basketball at Wake anymore. For that matter, both of them might assess where their draft stock is, find out from some talent evaluators and scouts where they stand and go from there. Which very likely could mean graduating ahead of schedule and moving the eff on. As a 21 y/o rising senior with some pro BB prospects, I'd much rather enjoy Europe than hang around Winston and the lame-ass millennial students who don't seem to give a shit about attending BB games anymore.

It's much harder to return from Europe than to stay and get in the NBA directly. If you aren't playing in the top tier, you won't get paid much. It's not worth the risk.

It's much harder to return from Europe than to stay and get in the NBA directly. If you aren't playing in the top tier, you won't get paid much. It's not worth the risk.

Tell that to Dinos. You're telling me Doral can't get close to what Mitoglou is making from some shitty team in Europe with a rich, who give's a fuck owner??

Dinos is dramatically different. He was only young player on the Greek National Team. Greek teams pay more than many teams.

Doral will only get paid market value and that would be much less than Dinos.

Something else you should think about is the FIBA lane. Much of Doral's offense will be a lot tougher. Doral's game is more suited to the NBA than Euroball.

Cheddi and Nat are both good options to replace Key. Assuming Craw and Doral come back depth will not be an issue at any position except PF.

Something else you should think about is the FIBA lane. Much of Doral's offense will be a lot tougher. Doral's game is more suited to the NBA than Euroball.

This is a great point. Doral's limited offensive range makes him much less effective playing internationally than in the US.

Cheddi missed a ton of games over the past two years. He's a huge question mark.

Considering Mosely has played only two games of college basketball in nearly 18 months, I would much rather have Nat.

We can wait on Mosely. Tell him the truth, we have several guys above you. It looks like we're the only big time school after him. If he doesn't want to wait, wish him good luck.

Nat would be a much bigger get than Cheddi. I still don't get why Manning isn't at least joining the Cremo sweepstakes. He would be the missing piece and starting at the 2 would allow us to have Sarr come off the bench (Brown 3/Hoard 4). I see several other good schools just hopped in so it would be a long shot, but still would be nice to see him go after the best available.

You wouldn't like to come back and take another shot at a national championship???

Its not pointless if the point is a 18-19 year old (you forget these guys stay back a year to work on ball) is unlikely to be a difference maker as a freshman in the ACC, with the exception being top 30 recruits.

It is pointless because you could say the same thing about every kid in the same boat (not top 25 or whatever). The point I made was actually quite obvious so either get it or don't, I give up.

Isn't he the guy from NZ?

Not sure how good he is, but we will need a PF/C in 19.

Nat would be a much bigger get than Cheddi. I still don't get why Manning isn't at least joining the Cremo sweepstakes. He would be the missing piece and starting at the 2 would allow us to have Sarr come off the bench (Brown 3/Hoard 4). I see several other good schools just hopped in so it would be a long shot, but still would be nice to see him go after the best available.

Some thoughts on this. 1, with schools still hopping on, it isn't like this train has left the station. There is time, albeit, not much time. 2. Recruiting a two and moving/continuing to play Chaundee at the three would be another signal for a chorus of "Danny plays guys out of position." Wake is a much better team if Chaundee is playing SG with a bigger guy (Hoard/Mucius etc.) playing the three.

It is pointless because you could say the same thing about every kid in the same boat (not top 25 or whatever). The point I made was actually quite obvious so either get it or don't, I give up.

Your point sucks because some freshman are more physically developed and can contribute as freshman. Oshae Brissett for example was All-ACC Freshman and not a 5 star recruit, part of the Syracuse "Big 3." Chaundee for us, was not a 5 star recruit and yet contributed fairly well. Some players enter college more ready to contribute year 1 simply because they developed a grown man's body earlier. Yet rarely does a wing under 200lbs make a difference unless they came in as a 5 star prospect.

It is harder to get excited for a 4-star or 3-star freshman wing player who is 6 months away from playing college basketball and obviously needs to spend a significant time in the weight room before they can handle ACC caliber wings. This rings especially true for "athletic players" who dominate on the HS level using athleticism. A crafty, skilled scorer doesn't necessarily need the size to translate their game to the next level. A wing that scores by getting in the paint and using size and athleticism needs a grown man body to pull that off in the ACC. Not saying these kids won't be good, but as to my original point, don't expect them to be people that help turn a program around year 1.

I think most of us agree our best lineup next year (pending early entrants) would be Crawford (or Childress), Brown, Mucius, Hoard, and Moore (or Sarr). Brown may initially struggle adjusting to SG, but his future here and as a pro is as a 3 and D SG.

Your point sucks because some freshman are more physically developed and can contribute as freshman. Oshae Brissett for example was All-ACC Freshman and not a 5 star recruit, part of the Syracuse "Big 3." Chaundee for us, was not a 5 star recruit and yet contributed fairly well. Some players enter college more ready to contribute year 1 simply because they developed a grown man's body earlier. Yet rarely does a wing under 200lbs make a difference unless they came in as a 5 star prospect.

It is harder to get excited for a 4-star or 3-star freshman wing player who is 6 months away from playing college basketball and obviously needs to spend a significant time in the weight room before they can handle ACC caliber wings. This rings especially true for "athletic players" who dominate on the HS level using athleticism. A crafty, skilled scorer doesn't necessarily need the size to translate their game to the next level. A wing that scores by getting in the paint and using size and athleticism needs a grown man body to pull that off in the ACC. Not saying these kids won't be good, but as to my original point, don't expect them to be people that help turn a program around year 1.

Just a more long winded way of saying there are exceptions. My point remains. And I am specifically talking about highlight videos from HS sophomores and juniors, which is when recruiting heats up and we start talking about these kids. 90%+ of those kids will need to get stronger and bigger before they can contribute - we all know that.

Back